Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Washington has had four and a bit seasons at this level…

First season: 1 in 4.25
    Second season: 1 in 3.1
    Third season: 1 in 2.5
    Last season: 1 in 3.3
    This season: 1 in 4.3

That’s good enough for at least double figures every year, occasionally pushing 15-20.

He’s not a non-scoring striker.
    Hardly prolific 

We are currently a top striker away from a promotion winning side . Someone who doesn’t need 3 gilt edged chances to score 1 .
    I’d happily swap Stockley and Washington for the Lyle Taylor we had in our last promotion team .

I know they’re all different but you know when there’s an opportunity that you aren’t feeling as confident as you would if a top striker was going through .

Washington and Stockley are decent enough grafters and more than ok for this level but they’re not top drawer , BWP/Kermorgant/ Taylor level with what they bring to the side .
    If you take away his penalties, Taylor scored 17 goals in all comps in 18/19 season. Only 13 of which were in the 41 regular league season matches he played in. One every 3.15 games.

Stockley has 6 open play goals in 17 matches in the league this season which is a goal every 3.5 games and that is likely to improve given how fucking dreadful we were for the first dozen matches. 

Washington’s goal record for us, however, is not strong if you strip away the penalties - only 8 at 1 in 4.5 games last season, and only 1 goal full stop this season so far…. BUT he has been played out on the wing and mostly as a sub until Jacko took over. 

Just for context that Taylor was not necessarily the clinical goal machine he is remembered as
    He did spend rather a lot of time laying it on a plate for Grant.
    I'm with Oohaah, we're a Taylor away from a barnstorming punt for the play=offs

Oh, I'm not arguing that Taylor wasn't the better all-round striker - in fact, relative to the level he played at, he was one of the best all-round strikers I've seen play for us as he could do a bit of everything. But oohaah asked for "Someone who doesn’t need 3 gilt edged chances to score 1", but I don't know if it's true to say that Taylor was uber-reliable in front of goal, or if it's fair to say that Stockley is particularly wasteful. Washington definitely does miss a fair number of really good chances, but I think Stockley's goal record is a bit downplayed, tbh, as is the fact his link up play is generally decent. It's not Stockley's fault that for the opening 10 games or so he was just used as a target for hoof-ball. He's not the most technically elegant forward you'll ever see, but he's good enough on the deck that we don't have to play long ball football just to get the best out of him. In fact, his recent goal record, and stats last season, would suggest keeping it on the deck and playing better football helps him score goals.
  • Options
    If Connor scores 15 for us in this league, plus the work and pressure he puts on and relieves, he'd be one of our most important players.  I thought last year he was.  Difference between him and Chuks is he makes things happen, whilst Chuks needs someome else to provide the right pass or else he's whacking a defender or the ball past the post.
  • Options
    Washington has been a very good singing for us. Was surprised Adkins didn't start him more often 
  • Options
    As long as the team is scoring a good number more goals than it is conceding, it becomes less important who is scoring them. It is when the reliance of your striker/s scoring your goals is too high that players can become a luxury.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Conor, and Gilbey, are more important than the goals they score, or don't score.

They bring an energy and contagious enthusiasm that is lacking in their absence. 
    This. And I would include Purrington in this list too.
  • Options
    I always lol like a fuckwhit, when one of our better players score.
  • Options
    Have you all noticed that he's suddenly started to use his left foot! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always a bit of a gutter to throw a 2 goal lead away, but what a goal that was tonight from Conor, worth coming for that alone, anyone got a vid of the goal, thanks!
  • Options
    Always a bit of a gutter to throw a 2 goal lead away, but what a goal that was tonight from Conor, worth coming for that alone, anyone got a vid of the goal, thanks!
    Highlights on Sky.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Washington has been a very good singing for us. Was surprised Adkins didn't start him more often 
    Don't know about his singing, but he's been a very valuable acquisition for Charlton.  Of course he misses a few, but he's gotta get there at the right time even to miss em, he's getting that part right at least, the goals will come.  He's also really hard on himself when the odd chance goes a-begging, shows he cares plenty.  He's a good'un
  • Options
    What I like about Washington is that when he's playing badly you still have a striker who's quick and mobile, hits the channels, presses, makes intelligent runs and has a great work rate.

He's not really looked a natural finisher (before Saturday!) but when he hits some form he adds to that the ability to put chances away, bring other players into the game and has a lovely first touch.

Looks to be hitting that now after a bit of a run in the team and enjoying his football so long may it continue!
    As you said I think the key thing about Washington is his work-rate. He works hard when we're playing badly and when we're playing well, he doesn't give a damn and it opens up so many channels etc for other players that it makes us a better team all round. Before Jacko and the turn around in form everyone was saying we just wanted to see 100% effort from our players, you get that from Washington every time.

A while back when he was forced onto the wing by NA people on this forum and in this thread were claiming he's not good enough and writing him off all over again, glad to see him proving a few people wrong and was buzzing for him when he buried the 2nd in front of the Covered End.
  • Options
    Took his goal well last night, but should’ve squared the ball to Lee in the second half instead of shooting.
  • Options
    That seems a reasonable contract extension, as he's a decent L1 player but not outstanding, and there are question marks whether he's good enough for the Championship
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need a much better striker to partner Stockley next season if we want to go up, but I’d give him another year as back up. If we somehow go up this year I’d get rid - the thought of him in the championship makes me shudder.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    mendonca said:
    Have you all noticed that he's suddenly started to use his left foot! 

Big shout out for @mendonca who said this a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't but i have missed several matches this season. I didn't think he was capable of that excellent dink cross with his left foot that Stockley bravely converted by smashing through the two defenders who were the manager and his assistant for Gateshead.
    A pair of canny lads are Conor and Jayden.
  • Options
    Thanks @soapboxsam. I've been surprised how few of our fans haved noticed.

He even took a 1on1 with his left and it was a good strike and save. 

I wonder if a left footed caretaker Manager has advised on using the left foot more to catch out defenders.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Wash needs to work on making a better connection with the ball when he's through on goal. Two or three times he was in and he ended up hitting it with a spongefoot. Still my MOM, though. Unbelievable movement. 
  • Options
    He's still enjoying that left foot of his! Funny old  finisher is our Wash but enjoying his purple patch :-)
  • Options
    Washington and Stockley have to be the most inform Strikers in the whole League
  • Options
    I reckon if Washington and Stockley score 35 goals reach for us this season, there's no way they'll still be in L1 next season. I reckon they'll be in the Championship. Playing for Charlton. 
  • Options
    Washington is tireless..great forward..does so much for the team creating openings 
  • Options
    I really rate Washington.

Hard worker, team player and good goal return.

Works better on the right or down the middle but not shabby on the left either.

An overlapping full back or midfielder gives him more options.

Think he's underated by some and is being judged harshly on his performance v a top championship side when he rarely had other players close enough to him.
    From 1 August