Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    He'll be better than Stockley in the hold up number 9 role. You watch 
  • Options
    Shame he didn't take that glorious chance at the end. Overthought it and gave them a chance to recover
  • Options
    The bonus for us was that he was only on the pitch for 20 minutes.
    Nice and fresh for Saturday. 
  • Options
    Washington has had four and a bit seasons at this level…

First season: 1 in 4.25
    Second season: 1 in 3.1
    Third season: 1 in 2.5
    Last season: 1 in 3.3
    This season: 1 in 4.3

That’s good enough for at least double figures every year, occasionally pushing 15-20.

He’s not a non-scoring striker.
    Occasionally pushing 15 maybe, if you mean 11 or 12, but 20? Absolutely no way. I love Connor for his work rate, his commitment, the fact he gives everything when on the pitch but a finisher he isn’t. If he was we would have beaten Rotherham.
  • Options
    46/2.5 is good enough for 18 goals which is where the pushing 20 came from. In that season, he had 10 goals from 25 appearances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That’s good enough for at least double figures every year, occasionally pushing 15-20.

Hardly prolific 

We are currently a top striker away from a promotion winning side . Someone who doesn’t need 3 gilt edged chances to score 1 .
    I’d happily swap Stockley and Washington for the Lyle Taylor we had in our last promotion team .

I know they’re all different but you know when there’s an opportunity that you aren’t feeling as confident as you would if a top striker was going through .

Washington and Stockley are decent enough grafters and more than ok for this level but they’re not top drawer , BWP/Kermorgant/ Taylor level with what they bring to the side .
    If you take away his penalties, Taylor scored 17 goals in all comps in 18/19 season. Only 13 of which were in the 41 regular league season matches he played in. One every 3.15 games.

Stockley has 6 open play goals in 17 matches in the league this season which is a goal every 3.5 games and that is likely to improve given how fucking dreadful we were for the first dozen matches. 

Washington’s goal record for us, however, is not strong if you strip away the penalties - only 8 at 1 in 4.5 games last season, and only 1 goal full stop this season so far…. BUT he has been played out on the wing and mostly as a sub until Jacko took over. 

Just for context that Taylor was not necessarily the clinical goal machine he is remembered as. 
  • Options
    Heres Hoping Conor can do the bizzo on Saturday!
  • Options

Occasionally pushing 15 maybe, if you mean 11 or 12, but 20? Absolutely no way. I love Connor for his work rate, his commitment, the fact he gives everything when on the pitch but a finisher he isn’t. If he was we would have beaten Rotherham.
    If he was, he wouldn’t be playing in this division.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

If he was, he wouldn’t be playing in this division.
    Such a pity he couldn't bury the chance against Italy last night.
  • Options
    He did well. Italian's know how to defend and 2 players ran back to the goal.  First time I've seen Washy touch the ball with left foot and it showed in the connection.

https://youtu.be/axlmql6P7go
  • Options
    The natural scorers know what they are going to do with the ball before they receive it and have the confidence to execute that. Washington, as with his miss last night against Italy, invariably lacks one of these - he did the hard work in going round the keeper but then succeeded in miskicking the ball and finding the only defender on the line. 

And that rather sums up Washington. He does a hell of a lot of good things but the end product is missing. All the time we do not have a viable replacement then he has to be in the starting XI because of what else he brings to the team. The pay off is that, at the age of almost 30 and with a total of 29 league goals in his last six seasons (and half a dozen of those penalties too), he is unlikely to suddenly become prolific.
  • Options

Hardly prolific 

We are currently a top striker away from a promotion winning side . Someone who doesn’t need 3 gilt edged chances to score 1 .
    I’d happily swap Stockley and Washington for the Lyle Taylor we had in our last promotion team .

I know they’re all different but you know when there’s an opportunity that you aren’t feeling as confident as you would if a top striker was going through .

Washington and Stockley are decent enough grafters and more than ok for this level but they’re not top drawer , BWP/Kermorgant/ Taylor level with what they bring to the side .
    The thing is, if we did get that prolific striker in it's Stockley who you'd want to drop out, not Washington. We're playing a high pressure high running game, where we make sure we're first to everything and then try and make our quality shine through. Washington is such a big part of that, linking the play front to back with his intense running and his pace. At this level when you've got a good goalscorer you tend to have someone alongside him who can do a lot of dirty work to facilitate it, and the way we play that benefits more from a willing runner than it does a target man. Stockley has more about him than people give him credit for so it's up to him to prove that he can be the goalscorer of the two, but I think if we got Ronaldo in tomorrow it would be Conor lining up alongside him to ensure the running was carried on throughout the side rather than Stockley getting as many knockdowns as possible. I think Conor will be key to how we play regardless of his goal tally
  • Options

Hardly prolific 

The thing is, if we did get that prolific striker in it's Stockley who you'd want to drop out, not Washington. We're playing a high pressure high running game, where we make sure we're first to everything and then try and make our quality shine through. Washington is such a big part of that, linking the play front to back with his intense running and his pace. At this level when you've got a good goalscorer you tend to have someone alongside him who can do a lot of dirty work to facilitate it, and the way we play that benefits more from a willing runner than it does a target man. Stockley has more about him than people give him credit for so it's up to him to prove that he can be the goalscorer of the two, but I think if we got Ronaldo in tomorrow it would be Conor lining up alongside him to ensure the running was carried on throughout the side rather than Stockley getting as many knockdowns as possible. I think Conor will be key to how we play regardless of his goal tally
    Davison is working his way to becoming a good understudy and I think this will became more of his role as he is certainly not a Stockley. Same energy and commitment and finishes a bit better IMO with more to come.
    As you say, this role is key to how we play.
  • Options
    Hopefully didn't leave his shooting boots behind. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hardly prolific 

If you take away his penalties, Taylor scored 17 goals in all comps in 18/19 season. Only 13 of which were in the 41 regular league season matches he played in. One every 3.15 games.

Stockley has 6 open play goals in 17 matches in the league this season which is a goal every 3.5 games and that is likely to improve given how fucking dreadful we were for the first dozen matches. 

Washington’s goal record for us, however, is not strong if you strip away the penalties - only 8 at 1 in 4.5 games last season, and only 1 goal full stop this season so far…. BUT he has been played out on the wing and mostly as a sub until Jacko took over. 

Just for context that Taylor was not necessarily the clinical goal machine he is remembered as. 
    Taylor would often drift wide as well though, he wasn't in the team just to be a goal poacher, as that was more Karlan's role until he left. 

Making comparisons, Taylor was a better Stockley, as while he could be a target man, he was also more mobile.
  • Options

Hardly prolific 

Taylor would often drift wide as well though, he wasn't in the team just to be a goal poacher, as that was more Karlan's role until he left. 

Making comparisons, Taylor was a better Stockley, as while he could be a target man, he was also more mobile.
    Taylor would drift wide, Washington was asked to play out wide.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Hardly prolific 

Taylor would drift wide, Washington was asked to play out wide.
    Ben Purrington has scored twice from the left this season!
  • Options

Hardly prolific 

Just for context that Taylor was not necessarily the clinical goal machine he is remembered as
    He did spend rather a lot of time laying it on a plate for Grant.
    I'm with Oohaah, we're a Taylor away from a barnstorming punt for the play=offs
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of CW. We're a much better team with him in it. Watch him and you'll see him contantly running side to side along the opposition's back line. This movement doesn't only make him harder to mark, but he ends up pulling defenders out of position, creating spaces for Stockley, Lee, Leko, etc to exploit, not to say he doesn't chip in with a decent amount of goals himself

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Conor, and Gilbey, are more important than the goals they score, or don't score.

They bring an energy and contagious enthusiasm that is lacking in their absence. 

Agree with that.
    I think Conor will be buzzing against Plymouth as he had a barn storming cameo against Italy and even though Gilbey wasn't as sharp on the ball against Burton his work rate off the ball is good and both fit great into the template of how JJ wants to play.
  • Options
    Once again, the CL curse ffs! This thread was reignited as he came on and ran Bonnuci and Chiellini ragged when on and nearly won NI the game. Why does every update need to turn into a focus of the negative traits of a player?
  • Options
    I like Conor, but he does have that knack of finding a way to miss scoring opportunities. Maybe he needs to pretend every shot is a pen!!!! 😂