Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Elliott statement

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Why when reading this do I hear Mouthall speaking?
    Just wait for that Scooby Doo moment at the end of all this, mate.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It would be a good statement if we believed he really did buy the club rather than being part of an ESI flipping exercise!
  • Options
    I will not be reading the statement as i am sure that it will make my piss burn.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Radical thought - how about we give PE the benefit of the doubt for now.  It's not as though we are swimming in options right now.

Everyone is slagging him off for not saying anything - it seems there is something going on that he cannot yet speak about.  He gives a few tidbits and everyone is slagging him off.

Right now we need the EFL to sort their shit out - absolutely critical.  And then we need to start looking at next season - the management, the squad etc.  If someone doesn't want to be in League 1 then so be it - goodbye and thanks.  But we don't have time to dwell.

I know several people who have met PE now and nobody had a bad word to say.  I quote "he came in to the office and stopped at everyone's desk, spoke to them and asked how they were and what their role at the club is.  He seems a genuine nice bloke."  In comparison the same person said of Southall "He would march in, ignore everyone and demand a cup of tea".  

I dare say I'll get grief from the usual suspects on here and get labelled an apologist once again (like when I said of Roland "it may be better the devil you know") but so be it.  Sometimes there is so much misinformation spread it distorts peoples views of what is really happening.

I regard the statement as a step in the right direction but now is the time for actions and not just fluffy words

Totally agree
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Radical thought - how about we give PE the benefit of the doubt for now.  It's not as though we are swimming in options right now.

Everyone is slagging him off for not saying anything - it seems there is something going on that he cannot yet speak about.  He gives a few tidbits and everyone is slagging him off.

Right now we need the EFL to sort their shit out - absolutely critical.  And then we need to start looking at next season - the management, the squad etc.  If someone doesn't want to be in League 1 then so be it - goodbye and thanks.  But we don't have time to dwell.

I know several people who have met PE now and nobody had a bad word to say.  I quote "he came in to the office and stopped at everyone's desk, spoke to them and asked how they were and what their role at the club is.  He seems a genuine nice bloke."  In comparison the same person said of Southall "He would march in, ignore everyone and demand a cup of tea".  

I dare say I'll get grief from the usual suspects on here and get labelled an apologist once again (like when I said of Roland "it may be better the devil you know") but so be it.  Sometimes there is so much misinformation spread it distorts peoples views of what is really happening.

I regard the statement as a step in the right direction but now is the time for actions and not just fluffy words

Love the optimism Swisdom however:

If I'm honest, I don't care how nice he is. 
    What credentials has this man got to run Charlton Athletic and conveniently why does he suddenly want to? You don't just get asked by a mate if you fancy taking over a debt ridden football club with a 50m obligation to some prick in Belgium Belgium think oh go on then when, you are not a millionaire.. nor even close to one.

It sinks, we need him and the rest of them gone. You say we have no options when we do - PV and Barclay which I am fairly certain are our ONLY hope of any kind of future over the next 5 years.
    Everyone single one of these chances need to go yesterday, let alone over the next few weeks.
    This 100%....its gonna be a nice little earner for someone.

The only thing I'm hanging onto is PV and Barclay getting involved but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it wouldn't be as investors with Elliott...?  Is that right?  They want the whole thing with everyone out out?

Also as my daughter reminded me where is that Jenkins fella in all this shite? 

• Options
    AndyG said:
    The latest statement confuses me even more. There is no reason for him to say the stuff about stability and investment, none at all. He could have just thanked LB and all of the staff for their efforts and left it at that, nobody would have expected anything else as everyone is thinking a flip is coming and he will be gone. What is there to gain by saying that if he doesnt intend on staying around ? that and LB saying he is supportive etc makes no bloody sense
    There is a simple answer. 
    He can’t run off with the ST money if we don’t renew (because no LB/JJ/etc). 
    So, in summary, he is saying - everything will be alright, can you guys renew please. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

This is where I get totally confused. 

1) would he pass the "fit and proper test"? Probably, his bankruptcy (if it was his) is discharged.

2) Has he got the money?  Probably got a few more quid than most of us but no evidence what so ever that he has anywhere close to what the EFL would require evidence of.

What's the point of going through the motions that you describe if your not serious?  What's the actual point?   Buying time?  Time for what? He doesn't own the club so he would have no access to any central payments, season ticket money, sell on clauses etc etc unless Nimer "gives" them to him.

Everything looks so black and white then you look deeper and it looks much less clear. 

Most people don't just bullshit for bullshit sake.  On the balance of probability I would conclude that  not a word of that statement is true, but at the same time, I can't understand the reason for saying it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let’s hope the EFL can make a decision - and we can move forward - one way or other 
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:
    Let’s hope the EFL can make a decision by 2022 then we can move forward - one way or other 
    Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    Still think this lot will be gone shortly after the Newcastle sale. No knowledge, just a hunch.
  • Options

All I would say to Mr Elliott is

SHOW ME THE MONEY

• Options
    Can’t even be bothered to read it I’m afraid. The first thing I’ll read is the next thing Bowyer says or a statement from our next owner so long as it’s not another spiv. Until then, it’s all just hot air. Or maybe I’ll read the next season ticket brochure they send me......
  • Options
    I believe the embargo allows us to spend as long as it doesn't exceed last years budget /wage which during covid might be an advantage to us. 

then why did Bowyer say he's not in a position to be able to offer contracts to any of the senior players?
    I'm guessing Bowyer wasn't clear.
    It's not that we can't renew senior player contracts.
    It's possibly that we can't exceed the existing budget.
    As the senior players have the biggest contracts, we would likely have to offer the same or less, which effectively means the players won't sign again.
    We’ve been relegated, I can’t see us offering more.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    While it is fully understandable that no one trusts anyone at the moment,the fact is we have no  alternatives.So before we slaughter Elliott,let us give it a little bit of time,there will be a turnover in playing staff very soon,see who comes and goes,judge at the outcome.

I Agree. Someone is putting money into the club to keep it going. Might not be PE but if not he is fronting for someone who is obviously funding wages etc. I do think there are things going on behind the scenes that may suprise us all
    I don't think there are but, by Christ, I hope there are.

And for an atheist that's a hell of a wish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe the embargo allows us to spend as long as it doesn't exceed last years budget /wage which during covid might be an advantage to us. 

then why did Bowyer say he's not in a position to be able to offer contracts to any of the senior players?
    Because most players expect an increase in wages when they get a new contract?
  • Options
    We’re what, 8 months since papers where supposedly given to the EFL, and yet nothing concrete has emerged.

thats not because of the EFL, it’s because this lot are liars and cheats 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Swisdom said:

I'm as pessimistic as the next person after all the shite but I have to agree with the above and say give the bloke time. It seems he has had a meeting with LB. No resignation statement yet from LB. Why ? If he thought it was just a load of bollocks I'm sure he would have walked by now. Maybe PE is just fronting someone ? Question is who ? As I keep saying someone has put £1.5m in recently to keep admin at bay with from what I can see little chance on getting it back. 
    I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s had a meeting with LB yet.
  • Options
    Why doesn’t Paul Elliott call the EFL’s bluff and publish both his proof of sufficiency of funds and his fit and proper person evidence?  
    Either they are taking their own sweet time or it’s a load of old sweaty bollocks.
    I think we all know which way the land lies on this...
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    While it is fully understandable that no one trusts anyone at the moment,the fact is we have no  alternatives.So before we slaughter Elliott,let us give it a little bit of time,there will be a turnover in playing staff very soon,see who comes and goes,judge at the outcome.

I Agree. Someone is putting money into the club to keep it going. Might not be PE but if not he is fronting for someone who is obviously funding wages etc. I do think there are things going on behind the scenes that may suprise us all
    I’m sure things have been going on behind the scenes that will surprise us all, Lee Bowyer alluded to that, but I don’t think they will be pleasant surprises.