Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leeds were very good tonight and look like they will push for a European place next season. To lay into the Charlton players when they were up against such quality seems harsh to me. 

Hope Bowyer stays, but can totally understand him going. 

Our game tonight was an irrelevance really once they went 3-0 up
  • Options
    Why couldn't be hold on at Birmingham? Or against Bristol City, Millwall, Hull, Huddersfield or Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Options
    People say that we are a league one squad, I am not certain that is true. Of  the players left to us at end of the season I think only  Phillips, Cullen, Doughty and Williams are Championship quality. Cullen off back to West Ham and the other 3 sold by the end of the week.
  • Options
    Can't blame Chelsea for looking after their player. 
    Leaving a team that has been relegated for one that might now be playing in the Premier League next season.
  • Options
    These last few weeks have given me an immense amount of stress, one that I had forgotten due to lockdown. We are relegated......that’s being a Charlton fan. I am pleased its all over. 

Good luck to Bowyer on your journey
  • Options
    I just hope it allows Bowyer to tell some truths. He has managed the off field shit brilliantly in my opinion. Hopefully he comes out and tells us exactly what he had to deal with.
    Which will definitely not make pleasant hearing.
  • Options
    If there is one thing we have learnt about Roland is that he is brain dead and selfish (much like Lyle Taylor and Matt Southall) so I am not expecting to lower his price. You can’t blame a squad that for its all endeavour wasn’t good enough nor a manager who has worked miracles in an inferno of insanity and chaos. This feels like our most damaging ever relegation and I seriously worry for our future.
  • Options
    Still got valley pass on.

What a contrast. Leeds currently parading the trophy on their way to the prem while our poor boys are down on the dressing room heading to f**k knows where!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feels like the worst season in my 40 odd year supporting, not even the relegation as seen a few of those, just overall from ESI 1/2, RD, Taylor, all the stars aligned against us.

Feel really sorry for the players and staff.

Gillingham away..... great!

Still, I can see Charlton v Sunderland play off final mk3......
  • Options
    LB: "Stuff that has been going on at times, it's just felt as if it was becoming impossible at times. Even with that we still had a chance to stay in the division and never grabbed it."
  • Options
    To those daft optimists like Golfie: I said we had to win. The players looked like they believed in Golfie saying that the other teams would lose.
    I really think Golfie is to blame. He irritates me for years with pessimism and just when we needed it he fills everyone with false optimism.
    Booooooooooo!
    Silly. Now you've even upset your nephew with this defeat.

I'll forgive you tomorrow if you get me a pack of football stickers.
  • Options
    Leeds were very good tonight and look like they will push for a European place next season. To lay into the Charlton players when they were up against such quality seems harsh to me. 

Hope Bowyer stays, but can totally understand him going. 

Our game tonight was an irrelevance really once they went 3-0 up

I thought that at one nil. With the shackles off they could show what a good team they were.  Just look at West Brom and Brentford and how they finished the season.
  • Options
    ro_addick said:
    Reflect on this'un Lyle, at your big bucks pleasure. Good on you for bailing. Now reaping the whirlwind.
    It's Ok. He's moving to Forest. 😁
  • Options
    Gutted, got what we deserved though, all the off-field shenanigans and squad not good enough finally took its toll.  Wembley 14 months ago seems like a lifetime ago - COYA’s.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Feels like the worst season in my 40 odd year supporting, not even the relegation as seen a few of those, just overall from ESI 1/2, RD, Taylor, all the stars aligned against us.

Feel really sorry for the players and staff.

Gillingham away..... great!

Still, I can see Charlton v Sunderland play off final mk3......
    It’s really not worse than 08/09 and 15/16 when we had teams that didn’t try at all .  We’ve been shafted but the team has worked really hard and we played quite well for a lot
    of the season, even with 14 players out 
  • Options
    I can’t really add anything further to all your comments. I’m gutted by tonight’s results but deep down I think a lot of us had already known that we weren’t going to survive.

Charlton has been my life for the last 50 years, but with everything that’s happening off the field I don’t really know if I have the enthusiasm or love for football any longer. I do know that my boycott starts again next season - I’m not giving whichever crook ‘owns’ us a penny of my money.

Goodnight all my fellow heartbroken fans 😥
  • Options
    Fair play to the players and us fans,  gave their our all this season. 

Not a single person could have predicted Barnsley at brentford. 

Also, 

Fuck taylor, southall and nimer. Hope they get their comeuppance (legally). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All said and done, the behind the scenes shambles is the only reason we have been relegated. 

There is a a working Championship-level team in SE7, but without any form of ownership, we were a joke this season. Can't run a club with this ESI bollocks hanging over us. Fair play to Barnsley who deserve to stay up. 

Perhaps League 1 can be a reset. Perhaps it might even make a transition away from the muddled and murky ownership issues.

However, perhaps RD is laughing at our plight with his popcorn and all academic. Another summer of waiting for EFL approval of some tinpot face fronting a shady consortium. Enough of that already. 

Sad sad night of football. Green shoots if this relegation hastens a change to Charlton Athletic being run in the best interests of all its many supporters. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    One more point would have been enough. Can't help feeling we may have got that if Taylor didn't give up
    When Cafc needed him he didn’t want to know but the club paid him when he got injured in that no nothing tournament abroad that he played in. If his sale doesn’t go through by 31/7 he’ll be due another months money when he hasn’t worn a shirt for us for 2 months. 
  • Options
    Beaten tonight by a very good side.

Unfortunately other results didn't go our way which is always a risk when reliant on others.

They did well to be in contention to stay up but ultimately the Boardroom lack of support from whatever regime is or was at the helm has cost us terribly albeit narrowly.

Other than one obvious person, the players can hold their heads up. They have given everything they had all season in adverse circumstances. The same goes for Bowyer and his team.

The obvious question is what now?

The answer to that depends on resolving the off field situation but I think it is pretty much a racing certainty that Bowyer and whoever he wants to take with him will be off.

Playerwise Phillips and Doughty will be sold possibly Bonne too. 11 goals no penalties in a relegated side will be noted by others. Sarr and Matthews will be gone as we cannot renew their contracts as will Cullen and Field.

In short we have a few short weeks for some sort of major rebuild.

Gutted, gutted, gutted but somewhere, somehow I still say from the canvas COYR.

• Options
    Just gutted. All those injury time goals conceded have caught up with us.
    Plus the fact that we couldn't score in a brothel.
  • Options
    Sounds like a goodbye from Bowyer, might be wrong but reading those quotes I would not be surprised.
  • Options
    Just not good enough and it’s all down to the problems behind the scenes. 

The only thing I want to know is; does relegation make it more or less likely that Varney and Barclay takeover? 
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know I keep repeating meself but....

Taylor ur a cunt

Solly ur a cunt

Roland ur a cunt

Nimer/Nemer wotever ur a cunt

Murray ur a cunt

Meire ur a cunt

Southall ur a cunt

Farnell ur a cunt

Elliot ur a cunt

The Egyptian fella ur a cunt

The Romanian blokes ur all cunts

EFL ur all cunts