Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Had we all place a bet on us going down after 6 games when we had 14 points to our name we could have collectively bought the Club. It took some effort to not then manage to take 35 points from the remaining 40 matches.

• Options
    Have to say reading some of his post match comments, it doesn't seem like Bowyer is going to be here next season.
  • Options
    Keep attacking for your survival  90+ min goals 2 games running proved who wanted it
    We done barnsley 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Looked like what it was tonight. A Prem quality team playing a League One quality team. We were always going to be reliant on other teams all doing us a favour, and life just isn't that co-operative. Bowyer almost worked wonders to keep us up despite everything, but ultimately we get what we deserve.

To be honest, I'll take league one happily enough if it means the end of ESI and, hopefully, a new start under Barclay and Varney. But that seems very far away right now.
    Exactly how I feel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had we all place a bet on us going down after 6 games when we had 14 points to our name we could have collectively bought the Club. It took some effort to not then manage to take 35 points from the remaining 40 matches.

Bookies had us favorites to go down at the start of the season last year.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    People say that we are a league one squad, I am not certain that is true. Of  the players left to us at end of the season I think only  Phillips, Cullen, Doughty and Williams are Championship quality. Cullen off back to West Ham and the other 3 sold by the end of the week.
    League One Squad...yep I'd now be well certain of that. Bring in Accrington, Rochdale etc...Happy Days.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leeds were very good tonight and look like they will push for a European place next season. To lay into the Charlton players when they were up against such quality seems harsh to me. 

Hope Bowyer stays, but can totally understand him going. 

Europe? Behave will you.
    Well they will keep that squad and add to it. They have Bielsa. And they are better than Burnley and Wolves were when they went up, both of whom got in Europe fairly soon after promotion. 

But anyway, not really important in the grand scheme of things. Just thought it worth pointing out, as the gulf in quality was plain to see.

• Options
    Feel numb. Don't blame Bowyer or the players. They all did their best. It wasn't enough to stay up after 46 games. This is a tough league and despite trying their hardest, they weren't good enough.

Relegation is crap but it's the result of finishing in the bottom three. I'm consoling my daughter on her first relegation. It's grim but as others have said, our club have far greater concerns. 

We trusted Bowyer. He trusted the players. 

• Options
    It’s going to get worse before it gets any better.

it’s only a game...it’s only a game...it’s only a game...
  • Options
    Disappointing and so typical for a late winner by Barnsley sealing our fate. Should be used to disappointment being a Charlton can for 50 years. Dog think Bowyer will stay. It will be very different next season. Worrying as I think it will be hard to make play offs with the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Wigan an Hull in the same league. I don't think that Sheffield Wednesday will have points deducted this campaign. My understanding is that any points will be deducted from next season. Please correct me someone to give me some hope!! Stay Alive all.
  • Options
    Leeds were miles better than us.
    If there is any football at all in the future than we have a better chance at a lower grade of football, actually it will be hard enough, but given the state we're in we would get mashed to shreds next season in the Championship.

• Options

But not after 6 games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't bear to follow progress tonight so only saw the results once it was all over. Even though you expect the worse it doesn't make it any easier when it happens. We ended up where we deserved.... back in league 1. I am really hurting now. Well done to Luton and Barnsley They have both pulled off an amazing escape, Ironically they were bottom two for much of the season and yet we end the only promoted team from last year to go. Lets now hope we can get the ownership sorted and regroup next year.
  • Options
    Stopped watching after 30 mins and put Brentford match on to hope for relegation. It’s the 5th relegation I have witnessed.
    today is the worst out of them all.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Looked like what it was tonight. A Prem quality team playing a League One quality team. We were always going to be reliant on other teams all doing us a favour, and life just isn't that co-operative. Bowyer almost worked wonders to keep us up despite everything, but ultimately we get what we deserve.

To be honest, I'll take league one happily enough if it means the end of ESI and, hopefully, a new start under Barclay and Varney. But that seems very far away right now.
    Well said.

I would love it if this spelt the end of ESI but they're not going to go easily are they. Heartbreaking thinking we have pre-season in 3 weeks time and in that time probably won't be able to sign any players.
  • Options
    What is it this season with 90th minute goals, they have cost us in our own games but Barnsley do It to finally fuck us. God knows what’s lies ahead but with his post match comments I reckon Bowyer will go. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Beaten tonight by a very good side.

Unfortunately other results didn't go our way which is always a risk when reliant on others.

They did well to be in contention to stay up but ultimately the Boardroom lack of support from whatever regime is or was at the helm has cost us terribly albeit narrowly.

Other than one obvious person, the players can hold their heads up. They have given everything they had all season in adverse circumstances. The same goes for Bowyer and his team.

The obvious question is what now?

The answer to that depends on resolving the off field situation but I think it is pretty much a racing certainty that Bowyer and whoever he wants to take with him will be off.

Playerwise Phillips and Doughty will be sold possibly Bonne too. 11 goals no penalties in a relegated side will be noted by others. Sarr and Matthews will be gone as we cannot renew their contracts as will Cullen and Field.

In short we have a few short weeks for some sort of major rebuild.

Gutted, gutted, gutted but somewhere, somehow I still say from the canvas COYR.

Yep, a few short weeks for a major rebuild, except we can't sign anyone because we're still under an embargo
  • Options
    Rich CawleyIf you want my opinion, I can't see Lee Bowyer sticking around. Just feels like the chaos off the pitch has taken its toll on him.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know I keep repeating meself but....

Taylor ur a c***

Solly ur a c***

Roland ur a c***

Nimer/Nemer wotever ur a c***

Murray ur a c***

Meire ur a c***

Southall ur a c***

Farnell ur a c***

Elliot ur a c***

The Egyptian fella ur a c***

The Romanian blokes ur all c***s

EFL ur all c***s

I quite liked Marian

• Options

Yep, guess they'd known a thing or two in retrospect l.
  • Options
    And would anyone blame Bowyer if he threw in the towel right now?