Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant - £15m move

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    Off_it said:
    Karlan Grant went from playing for the U18 to playing for the first team. Those of us who were at Fulham a few years ago saw his potential when he won about 6 corners in 10 minutes after Coming on the left wing.

Taylor helped to improve Grant's game
    Grant helped to improve Taylor's game.

Good football judges knew that Karlan Grant had a great chance of "making it"

I'm gutted it's not with us, but we are so far from the big time that even holding on to  Alfie Doughty will be difficult if he continues to impress.
    So those who didn't necessarily feel the same don't know anything? I think that's rubbish. Top scouts get things wrong too. I'll hold my hands up and say I was probably wrong about Grant, I don't think that means I'm not generally an alright judge on players. 

I've hit a raw nerve ?
    I don't know your opinions on other players, and I didn't notice your opinion on Grant.

I personally had seen enough of Grant since he was 17 to know that he had a good chance because of his pace and the way he was capable of scoring goals. 
    He did stagnate under Robinson, but scoring at Crawley helped him get his mojo back and he has kicked on ever since including tonight where I just noticed he scored.

Football is a matter of opinion and many Charlton fans said Simon Francis was shite.
    I disagreed with that opinion and thought he could turn into a cracking wing back.

No you haven’t hit a nerve. I’m more than happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong. I’m sure all football fans, coaches and scouts have seen players, forged an opinion and been wrong. Top managers sign players who flop all the time, it’s obviously not easy. 

I just thought your comment about good football judges knowing about Grant was inaccurate. I was a fan of his pace but thought his decision making was poor. You can work on that but I didn’t see enough to suggest he would go onto good things, I was wrong. 

But I agree with your post above and am not looking for a row. No doubt the loan worked wonders and he clearly needed a regular run to help fulfil his potential. 
    It's funny cos I always thought he had good potential in his early days with us then saw him play on loan at Crawley and thought he looked shit - missed two one on ones - so had more or less given up on him when he came back.

I'm glad I proved myself wrong. I think.
    Didn't see him at Crawley but I thought his decision making had improved first game I saw him back. 
    Amazing what a run of games and some confidence can do for a striker.
    He actually started scoring for us just when he sent him on loan, I actually thought it was a poor decision at the time. He came back from that loan spell even better, and never looked back. 
    Did he? My recollection is that he started scoring when back. 
    Scored nine times in 15-games for Crawley at the end of January in 17/18 - Then came back for the 2018-19 season

Probably helped that we ourselves stopped playing him out wide as well
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I loved the link up play between Grant and Taylor and it was effective from the first game of the season at Sunderland despite Cafc being short of players.
    Bowyer told Taylor to work harder off the ball and it worked a treat. 
    Having two forwards who can play wide and central is so hard for the defenders to mark.
    Rashford's movement at the top level is excellent and he goes from wide to central and back wide depending on opposition and who's available for United during a game.

Karlan Grant will probably be rated a good Championship player by the end of his career which will be higher than most if not all of his academy age group.
  • Options
    I loved the link up play between Grant and Taylor and it was effective from the first game of the season at Sunderland despite Cafc being short of players.
    Having two forwards who can play wide and central is so hard for the defenders to mark.
    Rashford's movement at the top level is excellent and he goes from wide to central and back wide depending on opposition and who's available for United during a game.

Karlan Grant will probably be rated a good Championship player by the end of his career which will be higher than most if not all of his academy age group.
    He’s the same age as Gomez and Konsa, so I don’t think that’s true . Also Lookman and Aribo, who weren’t strictly academic players.I agree with with everything else you’ve said .  
  • Options

My recollection differs. Bowyer rollocked them both about half a dozen games or so in for not working as a partnership. After that it started to click.
  • Options
    Kips said:

My recollection differs. Bowyer rollocked them both about half a dozen games or so in for not working as a partnership. After that it started to click.
    They scored 4 and assisted 1 between them in the first 6... Bit weird to bollock them for that... But then it was Bowyer.
  • Options
    Kips said:

See Dazzler above. 
    Taylor made an assist for Grant in the first match and once Taylor got used to the Grant's on the wing so I will be in the centre and I'm out wide and Grant's in the centre it was very good and it would have been great with Josh Cullen (excellent when fit)and Krystian Bielik (excellent when not being kicked in the bollocks) who was erratic at first but had some great games in defence and in midfield as we had to get used to just having the one main forward after we lost Grant to the Premier League in January. 

TBF to Bowyer he got a response from Taylor who stepped up his work off the ball after the first 3 games. I heard the interview with Lyle and he was taken aback but said it did improve his overall game.
  • Options
    He’s done well in fits and spurts and has had barren ish runs as well 
    was he injured last year and coming on as sub cos 3 in 31 is Bonnesque 
    he’s midtable championship to me at best , I don’t rate him as highly as most do