Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant - £15m move

Comments

• Options
    Of course he’s not shite but, if we had the luxury of £15 mill to spend, I’d hope we use it more wisely than on Grant.
  • Options
    He scores a lot of penalties. Not sure he is worth £15m but the market is crazy. Why do we never benefit though?
  • Options
    We would have been in the premier league years ago if we’d kept them.
  • Options
    RichyB said:
    WOW £15mill, amazing how the value of players change when they leave us. 
    You can add a 0 on the moment someone gets a couple of goals in the Premier League. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He scores a lot of penalties. Not sure he is worth £15m but the market is crazy. Why do we never benefit though?
    Just you wait til we get a whopping 1.2 mil for Doughty...
    Probably leave for £0 as I think his out of contract 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Good, glad Grant's on the move.

Went to Huddersfield away and I can't stand the Grant song they sing especially with how they say Grant in there accents.

Glad they won't be able to sing that song anymore.
  • Options
    RichyB said:
    Chunes said:
    Probably leave for £0 as I think his out of contract 
    He has another year. Even if he didn’t we’d get compensation due to his age.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e4fac730afc2/charlton-trigger-option-to-extend-alfie-doughtys-contract-to-2021
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We had this crazy policy of only offering two years to players it was obvious were going to rise in value. It is simply another example of Roland's lack of understanding of football. Look at Grant and Konsa, Taylor and Aribo. Think of the money lost on those four alone! Maybe add Gomez to that too! I'd say you might be in the region of £30 plus million!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had this crazy policy of only offering two years to players it was obvious were going to rise in value. It is simply another example of Roland's lack of understanding of football. Look at Grant and Konsa, Taylor and Aribo. Think of the money lost on those four alone! Maybe add Gomez to that too!
    Didnt help they started with the policy of giving players four year deals as we've seen with Naby who has thankfully turned into a good player

Sadly those players were shit so we found we were stuck with them for long periods so changed their approach
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yes, it is about spotting the young talent and giving them contracts in the knowledge they will be sold. If you leave that too late, the player knows they can run down their contract. You have to take an informed risk, but for the ones you get wrong, the ones you get right would much more than compensate. 
  • Options
    I also heard that Huddersfield are close to Administration and had to sell.
  • Options
    We had this crazy policy of only offering two years to players it was obvious were going to rise in value. It is simply another example of Roland's lack of understanding of football. Look at Grant and Konsa, Taylor and Aribo. Think of the money lost on those four alone! Maybe add Gomez to that too! I'd say you might be in the region of £30 plus million!
    Gomez is probably worth double that alone now 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yes, but he was never going to be sold by us for that, even with a longer contract. Liverpool would probably have got him for £8m to £10m. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Gomez is probably worth double that alone now 
    Then you can also factor in the many contracts we agreed to terminate mutually as the players were generally rubbish (Diarra the exception). That will have cost a pretty penny too. Some truly awful contract management under Duchatelet's reign.
  • Options
    What Liverpool are good at, and I presume other Premier League clubs are too is recruiting players that have the right attributes. They have a team of technicians and use computer modelling which is incredibly advanced.

We live in an age where everything a player does is monitored and recorded digitally. For say a midfielder, the computer knows what are effective passes (more likely to lead to a goal) and the choices the player makes can be viewed in that context. It allows you to identify strengths that may be harder to pick up visually and some players will flatter to deceive that way.

I am saying there is still a risk, but a lesser one. One thing I have noticed visually is the quality of Doughty's delivery in terms of danger has greatly improved. It is something that would be interesting to see what it looks like to Liverpool's technicians. I wouldn't be surprised if a big club came in for him in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t wait to see what Golfie thinks :-))
    Karlan who.....?

Doesn't surprise me though. The only thing in life that is guaranteed is death, taxes & ex-Charlton players being sold on for more than we got for them in the first place.

We bought Killer back for less than we sold him!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    £500k up front and the rest in instalments and based on incentives 
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    I also heard that Huddersfield are close to Administration and had to sell.
    Did find it odd when Dean Hoyle sold up to a guy that seemingly didn't have the money to take them forward. 
  • Options
    if huddersfield are that close to administration, I would have offered £5m for him
  • Options
    Young English striker with goals in the Premier League. Of course he’s worth £15 million in today’s market - you can argue that the market is mad but the price is about right within the market as it currently stands

First comparison off the top of my head, Bournemouth paid £19 million for Solanke. And he’s sh*te.
    They are both shit . Two season ago he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo with us and we loaned him out to Crawley and now he’s a 15 million pound player ? Nonsense . What championship club has that sort of money to pay for him and which premier league club is stupid enough to do the same ? 
    Karlan Grant is demonstrably not shit. When he “couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo” he was a teenage striker being constantly played out of position on the wing in some of the most poorly managed and ill constructed squads this club has ever seen.

Since turning 20 in September 2017 he has score 49 goals across all 4 divisions. That’s a fantastic record. 

And this idea that the Crawley loan made him is a bit of a fallacy as well.  He scored 4 goals in 12 games for us leading up to his loan. He was already in decent form and would’ve been a lot more use than the various wastes of space we had to play up front for the rest of that season.

The Crawley Loan DID make a difference to him, as it gave him a regular run of games up front and some confidence

Before then loan he had ONE goal in L1 that season, 1 in the FA Cup and 2 in the Checkatrade (including 1 against Swansea U23s!). Nobody expected the transformation he would show the following season

And to be fair to the club, we were unlucky with his contract situation, as with the rape case hanging over him in the summer of 2018, you can hardly blame the club for not offering him a new contract then, especially as nobody would have expected him to be as good as he was.
  • Options
    We would have been in the premier league years ago if we’d kept them.

Mike Bailey, Len Glover, Billy Bonds, Alan Campbell, Marvin Hinton, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott, Lee Bowyer, Jon Jo Shelvey, Jo Gomez, Jo Aribo, etc, effing etc.

Why are @Mendonca In Asdas comment a LOL ?
  • Options
    Good luck to him, surpised a Prem club hasn't taken a punt on him tbf - unless of course it's Leeds who have bought him.

The issue here is that a Championship club has £15mill to spend on one player, while we've been living off free transfers and loans. It's insane.
  • Options
    I reckon Wednesday are signing him as they need to get someone in to get them out of the minus points they will be starting with next season and need to sign them before the transfer embargo his handed out