Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant - £15m move

Comments

• Options
    Grant has become lazy since the restart, so getting 15m for him will be a bonus 
    Before he went to Crawley on loan he wasn't  all that for us on my opinion. Then after 4 months with Taylor as co striker , hey presto, he starts to perform.  I still don't  see him worth 15 million or 20k a week to be honest. Then again I don't  think any football player is worth that but certainly  not Grant.
    I'm pretty certain that he will be on a lot more than £20k a week at West Brom
  • Options
    Grant has become lazy since the restart, so getting 15m for him will be a bonus 
    Before he went to Crawley on loan he wasn't  all that for us on my opinion. Then after 4 months with Taylor as co striker , hey presto, he starts to perform.  I still don't  see him worth 15 million or 20k a week to be honest. Then again I don't  think any football player is worth that but certainly  not Grant.
    Before he went to Crawley he still had work rate, but I'd started to lose faith. 

Once there he admits he had the penny drop moment and he banged in 9 goals in 14 or 15 games, since then he hasn't looked back and has consistently performed at League 1, Premier League and Championship level. However this is across 2 seasons only. 

I wonder if he's been aware of interest since lockdown or whether that's the end of his form spell. 

Either way I'll be interested to see how he gets on at WBA who I expect to be back in the Championship next season.
  • Options
    What do we get 3 mil ? 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    What do we get 3 mil ? 
    Between 2.5m & 2.8m I think was suggested. But it may be in chunks or up front or even on final payment from WBA to Hudds.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    What do we get 3 mil ? 
    Should be, yes. Will depend on the payment plan between WBA and Udders as to when we get it.
  • Options
    20% of profit not sale price so more likely £2.6m

And he was scoring goals before he went to Crawley.  It's a myth that he only started to find the net there.

Robinson rushed him out the door so he could bring in some loans that didn't work.
  • Options

And he was scoring goals before he went to Crawley.  It's a myth that he only started to find the net there.

Robinson rushed him out the door so he could bring in some loans that didn't work.
    You're right before Robinson sent him on loan:

2015/16 P 20 GS 3 A 2 (All comps)
    2016/17 P 12 GS 0 A 1 (All comps)
    2017/18 P 31 GS 4 A 2 (All comps)

I make that P 63 GS 7 A 5

He wasn't consistent til he joined Crawley and admits he had a penny drop moment. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bacb5485aba6/the-penny-has-dropped-karlan-grant-takes-his-opportunity
  • Options
    kafka said:
    £2.6m for Grant, £2m for Bonne, 2 players on loan. If this was Elliootttt, we would be going bonkers
    We won't get all the sell on fee at once.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He wasn't consistent til he joined Crawley and admits he had a penny drop moment. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bacb5485aba6/the-penny-has-dropped-karlan-grant-takes-his-opportunity
    How many did he score in the two months before he went to Crawley.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:
    £2.6m for Grant, £2m for Bonne, 2 players on loan. If this was Elliootttt, we would be going bonkers
    I bet Elliott is himself going bonkers, this was what they were after i'm sure, getting the cash in so they could take it out. Instead they got duped and lost £500k minimum ....  :D
  • Options
    Karlan must like playing in stripes now. Shocking kit though!
  • Options

Remembered my old man saying how much he had improved when we went to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 2nd round in 2017. Didn’t see it but he was proved to be corrected. Wonder if KR decision to play 4-5-1 held him back. 
  • Options

Remembered my old man saying how much he had improved when we went to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 2nd round in 2017. Didn’t see it but he was proved to be corrected. Wonder if KR decision to play 4-5-1 held him back. 
    He was finally played up top, not on the wing, and he was scoring and looking good.

So Robinson moved out to the wing again and then loaned him out.
  • Options
    Six-year deal at West Brom, according to reports.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Have to say i would love nothing more than Grant’s career to go downhill. His past track record and stories from friends makes him dislikeable
  • Options
    kafka said:
    The problem is how do you spend that money, when you are limited to average wages of £2k per week in this division? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

In the two months before joining Crawley (so giving you November, December and January to be kind), he scored 2 goals. 

1 goal vs  AFC Wimbledon 3/12 (a 3-1 loss)
    1 goal vs Peterborough 28/11 (a 2-2 draw)

So two in quick succession then nothing from 3/12/17 to the 3/2/18 when he scored in his first game for Crawley. 

His other two goals came in August and September in the EFL trophy. 
    You're just looking at stats though. As usual, they don't show the complete story.

If I recall, in the November we were losing 2-0 at home to Peterborough and they tore us to shreds that night - and should have been out of sight.
    We pulled a goal back with less than 10 minutes left, then deep into added time sub Karlan came in at the back post to equalise.

He was mobbed by the players, who showed their delight in not just the late undeserved equaliser- but because an ecstatic and very relieved Grant had finally been able to get the monkey off his back and score. At that time, whenever he'd made an appearance he seemed to fluff his lines, and couldn't score to save his life.

Then came the Cup goal at Wimbledon like the weekend after, and I thought there was also a Tin Pot trophy goal at Swansea soon after that?
    Anyway 3 goals in 10 days and he was reborn ..... but Robbo still barely played him in the League, before being loaned to Crawley.

Now, as we all know, he did well at Crawley, playing with verve and confidence - and scoring.
    Then in the summer, came the 'incident' and calls for him to be sacked.

He trained well in pre-season and then Vetokele got injured.
    Bowyer bigged him up and told us he had every faith in Grant and started him 1st game of the season at Sunderland, where he won us an early penalty;
    following that up with a late, late winner at home to Plymouth - and there was no looking back for Grant.

He'd been a player with shattered confidence and little self belief. That late goal against Posh was the turning point, reinforced by the 2 cup goals in quick succession, and the Crawley loan. But following that, Bowyer's belief in Grant and willingness to give him a run in the team, plus Lyle Taylor's support and influence, really set Grant on his way. Look at him now - a £15m Prem player.

Confidence, eh? You can't be a successful player without it.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Moving out two midfielders and knowing this deal was being done points to Gallen and Bowyer about to make an exciting move. 
    Could be an interesting day tomorrow.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    kafka said:
    I bet Elliott is himself going bonkers, this was what they were after i'm sure, getting the cash in so they could take it out. Instead they got duped and lost £500k minimum ....  :D

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

In the two months before joining Crawley (so giving you November, December and January to be kind), he scored 2 goals. 

1 goal vs  AFC Wimbledon 3/12 (a 3-1 loss)
    1 goal vs Peterborough 28/11 (a 2-2 draw)

So two in quick succession then nothing from 3/12/17 to the 3/2/18 when he scored in his first game for Crawley. 

His other two goals came in August and September in the EFL trophy. 
    You're just looking at stats though. As usual, they don't show the complete story.
     Henry asked about goals.

We all saw three things in Karlan's first couple of years. 

1. Workrate
    2. Skill
    3. Couldn't hit a barn door.

When he started to hit the target more regularly it felt like his opportunities became fewer, the loan out was the correct decision. He came back far more fired up and with an eye for goal.
  • Options
    He has an amazing agent 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:
    He has an amazing agent 
    This. The real play makers in this world aren't silky midfielder's, it's the agents. They can make or break a players career. A good one (objective viewpoint) can set somebody up for life. Karlan is making the most of what I believe to be average talent. Right place, right time, right agent. Good luck to the lad. Hope he makes his family proud and secure. 
  • Options
    I have to be honest and say I never rated Grant too highly. Even when he started scoring, I was more bothered by the fact that he wasn't replaced than losing him when we did. He has sort of proved me wrong a bit but there have been quite a few penalties in there.
  • Options
    It's funny how this has happened AFTER the takeover. While the sale of our own players is something under our control, Karlan could have been bought anytime. If this had happened before the takeover, it would have added another layer of complication to the ESI v1 v2 fiasco...