Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant - £15m move

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:
    £2.6m for Grant, £2m for Bonne, 2 players on loan. If this was Elliootttt, we would be going bonkers
    The problem is how do you spend that money, when you are limited to average wages of £2k per week in this division? 
    You don't. You use it to pay the wages of the players you've got and cover the losses while Covid restrictions are in place. 
  • Options
    Starting up front. Kick off in 10 mins.
  • Options
    Sounds like a decent debut.

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/10/19/class-no-difference-many-west-brom-fans-react-to-debut-of-karlan-grant-v-burnley/

Also
    Birmingham mail-

How he played

Albion began brightly. Their passing and interchange among the front five was sharp and one-touch. Grant dropped deep on occasions to collect the ball before laying it off. He helped to get Albion up the pitch too, with his darting runs from deep as the hosts broke on Burnley.

Sent away down the right by Pereira early doors, Grant carried the ball into the opposing half before unleashing a goalbound shot that was blocked. His next opening was when Pereira slipped him in on goal, but he didn’t realise where the pass was and by the time he’d latched onto the ball the angle was too tight.

Then came what we thought was ‘the moment’. Diangana received the ball on the edge of the box and he chipped it in between Long and Tarkowski, from where Grant rose. It was a comprehensive finish with his head, but the flag immediately went up.

Generally speaking, there were glimpses as to why he's been brought to the club. He demonstrated his pace, and played off the shoulder of the defenders to offer the creators behind him an outlet.

Second half he tired, which is to be expected and, ultimately, in Kevin Long and James Tarkowski he came up against an excellent centre half pairing.

Yet this was a debut that, in the first half at least, provided promise and what is potentially to come.

• Options
    Be interesting to see how he does if he's going to play the lone front man for West Brom

I dont think his rise is due to his strike partner but feel he's done slightly better when he's had someone to cause equal problems like Taylor and Mounie

As the lone man up top he's got the focus of both Centre-Backs to deal with and as we saw against Peterborough wasnt very effective

And no I dont believe it was because his head was already out of the door
  • Options
    If he gets 8 prem goals (no pens ) He’ll have done better than I expected . Think West Brom will go down if they rely on him all season .

• Options
    edited October 2020
    He was average. Made some good runs but nothing came off. He almost blocked a good shot of his team mates too. Given time he will score. His movement is good. 
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how he does if he's going to play the lone front man for West Brom

I dont think his rise is due to his strike partner but feel he's done slightly better when he's had someone to cause equal problems like Taylor and Mounie

As the lone man up top he's got the focus of both Centre-Backs to deal with and as we saw against Peterborough wasnt very effective

It was playing with a mobile striker like Taylor which really helped him make his breakthrough with us, Taylor made so much space by dragging defenders wide
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think it boils down to how many problems are posed to defenders. The problems can be different but the more they occupy defenders the more you will score. Grant has attributes that defenders may not be comfortable with, but he will do better if there are as many team mates doing the same as possible/realistic.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

It was playing with a mobile striker like Taylor which really helped him make his breakthrough with us, Taylor made so much space by dragging defenders wide
    They certainly complimented each other when they got going after that Scunthorpe game

Grant playing wide as a youngster also gave that same option and created Taylor space, defences wouldnt know what to do with each of them

Its why I never brought it that Grant had only been successful thanks to Lyle, thought they helped each other just as much
  • Options
    Karlan must like playing in stripes now. Shocking kit though!
    West Brom have been kind enough to put him in a barcode

Means we can scan the photo which'll tell us just how much Huddersfield owe us :)
    I was thinking more like Spanish prison uniform, but what ever floats your boat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got his first goal at Brighton 
  • Options
    I still don't understand how this guy has gone from being a total donkey to a clinical finisher, but fair play to him.
  • Options
    I still don't understand how this guy has gone from being a total donkey to a clinical finisher, but fair play to him.
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    I thought he was but a lot of it could have been down for confidence. Genuinely thought he was bang average at best. 
  • Options
    Whenever he came on, I never got the impression he was going to score. But maybe it was just the lack of gametime.
  • Options
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

The donkey was the bloke who played him on the wing and sent him on loan to Crawley because he wasnt scoring in 10min cameos

The loan helped Karlan but at the same time it could have helped us from January onwards and then in the Play-Offs against Shrewsbury

Instead we decided to put our faith in Sullay Kaikai and Stephy Mavididi
    Amazing to see the reverence Blackpool fans seem to hold Kaikai in. He was atrocious for us - how old was he when he joined?
  • Options
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

The donkey was the bloke who played him on the wing and sent him on loan to Crawley because he wasnt scoring in 10min cameos

The loan helped Karlan but at the same time it could have helped us from January onwards and then in the Play-Offs against Shrewsbury

Amazing to see the reverence Blackpool fans seem to hold Kaikai in. He was atrocious for us - how old was he when he joined?
    The difference between being somewhere on loan and permanently perhaps?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

2 years before we had him, Kaikai scored 12 league goals in 26 matches on loan at Shrewsbury. It was a mystery why he was so ineffective for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karlan Grant went from playing for the U18 to playing for the first team. Those of us who were at Fulham a few years ago saw his potential when he won about 6 corners in 10 minutes after Coming on the left wing.

Taylor helped to improve Grant's game
    Grant helped to improve Taylor's game.

Good football judges knew that Karlan Grant had a great chance of "making it"

I'm gutted it's not with us, but we are so far from the big time that even holding on to  Alfie Doughty will be difficult if he continues to impress.
  • Options
    Karlan Grant went from playing for the U18 to playing for the first team. Those of us who were at Fulham a few years ago saw his potential when he won about 6 corners in 10 minutes after Coming on the left wing.

I'm gutted it's not with us, but we are so far from the big time that even holding on to  Alfie Doughty will be difficult if he continues to impress.
    So those who didn't necessarily feel the same don't know anything? I think that's rubbish. Top scouts get things wrong too. I'll hold my hands up and say I was probably wrong about Grant, I don't think that means I'm not generally an alright judge on players. 

• Options
    Smashing finish for his goal
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

2 years before we had him, Kaikai scored 12 league goals in 26 matches on loan at Shrewsbury. It was a mystery why he was so ineffective for us.
    In my top five "Worst signings of all time".
  • Options

So those who didn't necessarily feel the same don't know anything? I think that's rubbish. Top scouts get things wrong too. I'll hold my hands up and say I was probably wrong about Grant, I don't think that means I'm not generally an alright judge on players. 

I've hit a raw nerve ?
    I don't know your opinions on other players, and I didn't notice your opinion on Grant.

I personally had seen enough of Grant since he was 17 to know that he had a good chance because of his pace and the way he was capable of scoring goals. 
    He did stagnate under Robinson, but scoring at Crawley helped him get his mojo back and he has kicked on ever since including tonight where I just noticed he scored.

Football is a matter of opinion and many Charlton fans said Simon Francis was shite.
    I disagreed with that opinion and thought he could turn into a cracking wing back.

• Options

I've hit a raw nerve ?
    I don't know your opinions on other players, and I didn't notice your opinion on Grant.

I personally had seen enough of Grant since he was 17 to know that he had a good chance because of his pace and the way he was capable of scoring goals. 
    He did stagnate under Robinson, but scoring at Crawley helped him get his mojo back and he has kicked on ever since including tonight where I just noticed he scored.

Football is a matter of opinion and many Charlton fans said Simon Francis was shite.
    I disagreed with that opinion and thought he could turn into a cracking wing back.

No you haven’t hit a nerve. I’m more than happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong. I’m sure all football fans, coaches and scouts have seen players, forged an opinion and been wrong. Top managers sign players who flop all the time, it’s obviously not easy. 

I just thought your comment about good football judges knowing about Grant was inaccurate. I was a fan of his pace but thought his decision making was poor. You can work on that but I didn’t see enough to suggest he would go onto good things, I was wrong. 

But I agree with your post above and am not looking for a row. No doubt the loan worked wonders and he clearly needed a regular run to help fulfil his potential. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I've hit a raw nerve ?

Have you thought of becoming a pro scout? I've never noticed your opinion on any player previously, but based on this post and your thoughts on Grant, Doughty and Francis, I think you have a future. There are courses available but you may not need them.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/football-scouting-courses/

• Options
    His goal ruined my prediction.
  • Options
    He seemed to have an extra yard of pace the last 18 months with us
  • Options
    His goal ruined my prediction.
    Yep another blank for me ffs