Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant - £15m move

Comments

• Options
    @cafcfan1990
    When you consider that "the special one" let not only Salah but De Bruyne leave Chelsea without keeping them on loan somewhere, it tells you that different players progress on a different curve.
    Not everyone can be the real deal at 17 like Owen or Rooney.

Watch out for 15 year old  Youssoufa Moukoko of Borussia Dortmund who is breaking every goal scoring record in the various age groups. He played for the under 18's at 14.
    Baring injury he will play for the 1st team when he is allowed at 16, and could usurp Bellingham, Reyna and the other wizz kids in the Dortmand Academy. 
  • Options
    @cafcfan1990
    When you consider that "the special one" let not only Salah but De Bruyne leave Chelsea without keeping them on loan somewhere, it tells you that different players progress on a different curve.

Watch out for 15 year old  Youssoufa Moukoko of Borussia Dortmund who is breaking every goal scoring record in the various age groups. He played for the under 18's at 14.
    Baring injury he will play for the 1st team when he is allowed at 16, and could usurp Bellingham, Reyna and the other wizz kids in the Dortmand Academy. 
    About time a Moukoko became a Wonderkid after his older brother Tonton Zola failed ;)
  • Options
    @cafcfan1990

Agreed, and sometimes people just make the wrong call, was exactly my point. 
  • Options
    Yep, who let Bradley Dack leave our academy at 14 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I too rated Francis. He got caught out trying to do something in a team that didn't do enough. I must admit, I have never rated Grant and he is doing a good job of proving me wrong. 

We should all be allowed to have opinions on players and sometimes we may be right and sometimes wrong. Sometimes we may be right about a player when a professional manager is wrong. That is why the game is so beautiful. We could (before Covid) sit in the pub with our mates and have a good argument over who is better than who, what the manager is doing right or wrong etc...
  • Options
    Karlan Grant went from playing for the U18 to playing for the first team. Those of us who were at Fulham a few years ago saw his potential when he won about 6 corners in 10 minutes after Coming on the left wing.

Taylor helped to improve Grant's game
    Grant helped to improve Taylor's game.

Good football judges knew that Karlan Grant had a great chance of "making it"

I'm gutted it's not with us, but we are so far from the big time that even holding on to  Alfie Doughty will be difficult if he continues to impress.
    So those who didn't necessarily feel the same don't know anything? I think that's rubbish. Top scouts get things wrong too. I'll hold my hands up and say I was probably wrong about Grant, I don't think that means I'm not generally an alright judge on players. 

I've hit a raw nerve ?
    I don't know your opinions on other players, and I didn't notice your opinion on Grant.

I personally had seen enough of Grant since he was 17 to know that he had a good chance because of his pace and the way he was capable of scoring goals. 
    He did stagnate under Robinson, but scoring at Crawley helped him get his mojo back and he has kicked on ever since including tonight where I just noticed he scored.

Football is a matter of opinion and many Charlton fans said Simon Francis was shite.
    I disagreed with that opinion and thought he could turn into a cracking wing back.

Have you thought of becoming a pro scout? I've never noticed your opinion on any player previously, but based on this post and your thoughts on Grant, Doughty and Francis, I think you have a future. There are courses available but you may not need them.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/football-scouting-courses/

Thanks for your advice(yes I know your taking the piss)  but i did it in youth football (managing, coaching and scouting) and too late for me now.
    I don't suppose Albie Morgan's mum and dad give Lee Bowyer stick to his face when he's only on the bench ! (Don't miss that)

My local part time mens team don't pay enough to the players so we see a lot of lads who just want to play with their mates and earn some "pocket money" most were in Academies of london league teams. Our star striker who is 23(played six games for Colchester) played in the same team as Lookman at Waterloo in boys football(Lookman was mainly on the bench as he was 1 year younger !) I knew that Waterloo were one of the stronger teams in the Massive Tandridge League and had many boys who went on to bigger and better things when I was involved in that League.

Surprised you didn't notice that I rate every player after a match and gave reasons for my scores from 2014 to the end of last season.

Only watched one Charlton match on Valley pass this season as I watch matches live.
    Seeing Six matches live, in the FA cup as well as League matches at grass roots (and plastic pitches) has helped me find my football soul again. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    To be honest, I'm always pleased to hear our academy products are kicking on. Glad for Grant that he's done well since leaving us, I did not see it coming despite supporting him heavily on his break through after a few months I thought he was a dud. 

Turns out he wasn't. I hope we see some more come through that I can also be very wrong about them too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cafcsinger I got news for you mate,
    that 11-1 match when Lookman scored 6 goals for Waterloo was the match that Charlton decided to quickly get him signed up !  I remember seeing Ademola Lookman playing for Cafc under 18's when he was 16.

You played a big part in his career and there's no shame in that. You weren't the only defenders who got turned inside out when he played for Waterloo. 

Are you saying i should of been entitled to some fee when he left us?

Yes  :)
  • Options
    I still don't understand how this guy has gone from being a total donkey to a clinical finisher, but fair play to him.
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

The donkey was the bloke who played him on the wing and sent him on loan to Crawley because he wasnt scoring in 10min cameos

The loan helped Karlan but at the same time it could have helped us from January onwards and then in the Play-Offs against Shrewsbury

Instead we decided to put our faith in Sullay Kaikai and Stephy Mavididi
    I enjoyed watching Mavididi play. Kaikai considerably less so 
  • Options
    Karlan Grant went from playing for the U18 to playing for the first team. Those of us who were at Fulham a few years ago saw his potential when he won about 6 corners in 10 minutes after Coming on the left wing.

I'm gutted it's not with us, but we are so far from the big time that even holding on to  Alfie Doughty will be difficult if he continues to impress.
    So those who didn't necessarily feel the same don't know anything? I think that's rubbish. Top scouts get things wrong too. I'll hold my hands up and say I was probably wrong about Grant, I don't think that means I'm not generally an alright judge on players. 

I've hit a raw nerve ?
    I don't know your opinions on other players, and I didn't notice your opinion on Grant.

I personally had seen enough of Grant since he was 17 to know that he had a good chance because of his pace and the way he was capable of scoring goals. 
    He did stagnate under Robinson, but scoring at Crawley helped him get his mojo back and he has kicked on ever since including tonight where I just noticed he scored.

Football is a matter of opinion and many Charlton fans said Simon Francis was shite.
    I disagreed with that opinion and thought he could turn into a cracking wing back.

No you haven’t hit a nerve. I’m more than happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong. I’m sure all football fans, coaches and scouts have seen players, forged an opinion and been wrong. Top managers sign players who flop all the time, it’s obviously not easy. 

I just thought your comment about good football judges knowing about Grant was inaccurate. I was a fan of his pace but thought his decision making was poor. You can work on that but I didn’t see enough to suggest he would go onto good things, I was wrong. 

But I agree with your post above and am not looking for a row. No doubt the loan worked wonders and he clearly needed a regular run to help fulfil his potential. 
    It's funny cos I always thought he had good potential in his early days with us then saw him play on loan at Crawley and thought he looked shit - missed two one on ones - so had more or less given up on him when he came back.

I'm glad I proved myself wrong. I think.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    that 11-1 match when Lookman scored 6 goals for Waterloo was the match that Charlton decided to quickly get him signed up !  I remember seeing Ademola Lookman playing for Cafc under 18's when he was 16.

You played a big part in his career and there's no shame in that. You weren't the only defenders who got turned inside out when he played for Waterloo. 

Just to think @cafcsinger it was really you playing at LB that CAFC came to watch. 
    Shame they had to settle for second best, and be content with only signing Lookman.

That 'almost' moment, the crossroads of your life. Sliding doors, eh? :smile:

PS: It could have been you getting pelters at LB, instead of poor old Ben Purrington.
    Great story BTW.
  • Options
    I remember playing against Charlton youth team when I was younger for Villacourt Rovers. The Charlton team had the likes of Paull Elliot and Paul Walsh and we got tanked 7-1 and we were a very good Sunday team. It put it all in perspective. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I still don't understand how this guy has gone from being a total donkey to a clinical finisher, but fair play to him.
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

The donkey was the bloke who played him on the wing and sent him on loan to Crawley because he wasnt scoring in 10min cameos

The loan helped Karlan but at the same time it could have helped us from January onwards and then in the Play-Offs against Shrewsbury

kaikai was appalling but Mavididi didn’t do much for us either.

Anyone that rated Francis is being clever with hindsight; he was atrocious
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

No hindsight at all.
    I saw a game against Oxford for cafc when we won 3-2 and he was charging down the wing and had 2 assists. He struggled to defend for Cafc and by the time we played Preston his confidence was shot to pieces and he was hooked at HT. 
    New club, new manager and I wasn't surprised he did well as a wing back but was, when he was converted into a CB !

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

It’s like anything in life, if you have base ability you can turn it on / blag it as required.
    i honestly don’t think there is too much between Champ full backs and Prem outside the top ones. 
    As Gary Neville said no one wants to be right back 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I've hit a raw nerve ?

No you haven’t hit a nerve. I’m more than happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong. I’m sure all football fans, coaches and scouts have seen players, forged an opinion and been wrong. Top managers sign players who flop all the time, it’s obviously not easy. 

I just thought your comment about good football judges knowing about Grant was inaccurate. I was a fan of his pace but thought his decision making was poor. You can work on that but I didn’t see enough to suggest he would go onto good things, I was wrong. 

But I agree with your post above and am not looking for a row. No doubt the loan worked wonders and he clearly needed a regular run to help fulfil his potential. 
    It's funny cos I always thought he had good potential in his early days with us then saw him play on loan at Crawley and thought he looked shit - missed two one on ones - so had more or less given up on him when he came back.

Didn't see him at Crawley but I thought his decision making had improved first game I saw him back. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

No hindsight at all.
    I saw a game against Oxford for cafc when we won 3-2 and he was charging down the wing and had 2 assists. He struggled to defend for Cafc and by the time we played Preston his confidence was shot to pieces and he was hooked at HT. 
    New club, new manager and I wasn't surprised he did well as a wing back but was, when he was converted into a CB !

Did he do well as wing back? I thought Francis improved and became a decent defender, not sure going forward though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    He seemed to have an extra yard of pace the last 18 months with us
    He was running out the door!
  • Options
    Think he will be found out 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just to think @cafcsinger it was really you playing at LB that CAFC came to watch. 
    Shame they had to settle for second best, and be content with only signing Lookman.

That 'almost' moment, the crossroads of your life. Sliding doors, eh? :smile:

PS: It could have been you getting pelters at LB, instead of poor old Ben Purrington.
    Great story BTW.
    Haha you're very kind Oggy, and how i would give my left arm to play 30 minutes and get 2 silly yellows at Blackpool on a tuesday night for my beloved Charlton :)
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Pretty simple.

He was never a donkey
    Agreed

No hindsight at all.

Did he do well as wing back? I thought Francis improved and became a decent defender, not sure going forward though. 

He won the player of the year at Bournemouth when he played as an attacking full back. How Eddie Howe turned him into a CB I will never know as his defending was indifferent at Cafc.

• Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I've hit a raw nerve ?

Didn't see him at Crawley but I thought his decision making had improved first game I saw him back. 
    Amazing what a run of games and some confidence can do for a striker.
  • Options
    Cardiff City have signed striker Karlan Grant on a season-long loan from Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66210792
  • Options
    clive said:
    Cardiff City have signed striker Karlan Grant on a season-long loan from Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66210792
    They were playing him on the left - he needs to be played through the middle  
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I've hit a raw nerve ?

He actually started scoring for us just when he sent him on loan, I actually thought it was a poor decision at the time. He came back from that loan spell even better, and never looked back. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Off_it said:

I've hit a raw nerve ?

He actually started scoring for us just when he sent him on loan, I actually thought it was a poor decision at the time. He came back from that loan spell even better, and never looked back. 
    Did he? My recollection is that he started scoring when back.