Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
  • What happens sometimes is a player at odds with the club kisses and makes up after the window shuts.
  • Sage said:
    I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
    I think it could well be the case mate... e.g. if Pearce is on £4k he doesnt count towards the cap FOR NOW!!

With his deal up in the summer if we want to offer him a new deal we'd only be able to offer him a deal that falls in line with the cap - Same with Doughty, we can offer him what he wants for now as he's an U21 but the moment he gets too old (if god forbid we're still at this level) then that salary impacts the rest of the squad
  • Sage said:
    People are forgetting that we will be able to bring in another permanent and senior player once Phillips moves on. As things stand, we are looking at 3 permanent and 3 loans, but that will be 4 permanent and 3 loans should Phillips seal a move away.

Okay it might mean we are a bit short in one or two areas, but I am sure they’ll bring in the best 6 or 7 players they can get.
    Spot on.
  • I want Matthews but I’d be happy with Johnson from West Ham. Looks a fantastic player from what I’ve seen and played very well away at City last season.
    Johnson took the absolute piss out of Doughty at one stage the other week
  • Sage said:
    I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
    I think it could well be the case mate... e.g. if Pearce is on £4k he doesnt count towards the cap FOR NOW!!

With his deal up in the summer if we want to offer him a new deal we'd only be able to offer him a deal that falls in line with the cap - Same with Doughty, we can offer him what he wants for now as he's an U21 but the moment he gets too old (if god forbid we're still at this level) then that salary impacts the rest of the squad
    Think it's a mixture of the two, the first £2k or so of Pearce's wages count towards the wage cap, and if we offer him a new deal it'd have to be in line with the wage cap then.
  • Sponsored links:

• What happens sometimes is a player at odds with the club kisses and makes up after the window shuts.
    Sometimes but not usually too often.

In Phillips case, if he's still here when the window shuts, he'll know he needs game time.
    He wants to play in the Championship. His issue seems to be about progressing his career rather than just wanting more money.

But it'll be a step backwards for him if he doesn't play at all.

• Sage said:
    Sage said:

Do you see this cap lasting? It’s a good idea, but personally think in the footballing world, it’s far too low in order to compete and then survive enough in the Championship when clubs get promoted.

£4mil a year is still around £4k a week for 19-20 senior pros. Just makes it that little bit more level.
    Yes its certainly needed, especially at this level and actually in some ways it would be great if we saw a top six of Accrington | Charlton | Rochdale | Fleetwood | Portsmouth | Crewe

Would mean that the cap has rightfully created a more level playing field when Football shouldnt be dictated by how rich you are as a side

The trouble is its also come in at the wrong level first - FIFA / UEFA need to grow a pair and force every league to implement something starting at the top and then going down... Like you say its great having something in place now but then when we go into the Championship we'll potentially need a massive overhaul of the squad again just to try and survive!! - Get relegated because the gamble didnt pay off and the reverse all but happens again where we maybe have to start selling or releasing players (out of contract) where we already fall foul of the cap
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Do you see this cap lasting? It’s a good idea, but personally think in the footballing world, it’s far too low in order to compete and then survive enough in the Championship when clubs get promoted.

£4mil a year is still around £4k a week for 19-20 senior pros. Just makes it that little bit more level.

Would mean that the cap has rightfully created a more level playing field when Football shouldnt be dictated by how rich you are as a side

The EFL should have implemented the cap from the first day of the transfer window, rather than when they did, if they wanted to create a more level playing field.

• Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

The EFL should have implemented the cap from the first day of the transfer window, rather than when they did, if they wanted to create a more level playing field.
    Yeah its ridiculous as per what Bowyer says that some teams have been able to strengthen before the Salary Cap has come into place

Maybe its the paranoid side of me but I wonder if teams have strengthened and then looked at Charlton and Wigan's situations before accepting the changes

Certainly gives them an advantage over us

Although am sure someone with more brains than me will now confirm the cap got agreed before we were relegated?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

Yeah its ridiculous as per what Bowyer says that some teams have been able to strengthen before the Salary Cap has come into place

Maybe its the paranoid side of me but I wonder if teams have strengthened and then looked at Charlton and Wigan's situations before accepting the changes

Certainly gives them an advantage over us

Although am sure someone with more brains than me will now confirm the cap got agreed before we were relegated?
    Vote was on the 7th August, the 3 players who extended all extended before that (in the case of Williams and JFC 1/2 days before that), so depends whether you count them as like being new singings or not really
  • Phillips will end up going on the cheap won't he?
  • Yes, that was my point. Maddison is a proven League One player. We are one of the few League One clubs who can get him. Whether we do is whether Bowyer wants him, but we are well placed surely in relation to other League One clubs that are just trying to keep their heads above water.
  • Wonder if the other Right Back is Ben Johnson from West Ham? - He got mentioned on the ITK thread as an option if we decided not to go for Matthews

He's only 20 as well, as per Bowyer's quotes on the first Cawley piece would be excluded from the cap
    That was me and a very unreliable rumour! I think West Ham are going to let him go if they manage to sign another RB, even then you'd expect him to go to the Championship. 
  • Wonder if the other Right Back is Ben Johnson from West Ham? - He got mentioned on the ITK thread as an option if we decided not to go for Matthews

He's only 20 as well, as per Bowyer's quotes on the first Cawley piece would be excluded from the cap
    That was me and a very unreliable rumour! I think West Ham are going to let him go if they manage to sign another RB, even then you'd expect him to go to the Championship. 
    Yeah I'd be very surprised if it happened, looked a level above us himself when we played them
  • Sponsored links:

• I actually thought Doughty mullered the West Ham right back quite a few times.  Not saying he’s no good that’s all I’ve seen of him.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

It's a stupid way of doing it. 

At £2.5m I doubt there will be any clubs under the limit.

A cap should prevent ridiculous levels of spending but this is just making sure every club is spending the same amount.
  • What's the punishment if you exceed the cap? 
    Publicly vilified as being a very naughty boy!
  • Could well be that West Ham are happy to let him drop to League 1 to guarantee 40 odd first team games. Did it with Cullen and it worked out reasonably well for them. Johnson's not 21 until January so we could be a good move for him. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Most people  don't  earn 2k-4.5k a week. It is not bad money. The unreal world  of Premiershit has made us think that our players are under paid. 4.5K a week  is nearly £250,000 a year. Jesus.  The alternative is JSA . Football has caused it's own problems in this respect. 
    This is shake up time so players  need to get real because no gate money will affect all the clubs including the spoiled brats in the top two tiers.
    true, but if you are an up and coming 22 year old, do you play regularly in League 1 on 3k or play championship reserves for 8-10k. There will be no incentive for players to play first team football. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    So we're only getting three senior players in. Brilliant. This season is gonna be a wash. 
    Behave. We at least have a club and we are financially sound. Count our blessings.

Three senior players along the spine would be significant for our future. 

Phillips, Doughty, Mathews, Cullen, New striker, New CH. Bows has difficult decisions to make.
    Its a shame that Phillips is already on a Contract with us

I presume if we sell him (to free up say his £5k p/w contract) that doesnt actually free up the £5k for someone else because he's exempt from the Salary Cap

Anyway this thread has gone west....so I’ll send it east...ForeverAddickted said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    So we're only getting three senior players in. Brilliant. This season is gonna be a wash. 
    Behave. We at least have a club and we are financially sound. Count our blessings.

Three senior players along the spine would be significant for our future. 

Phillips, Doughty, Mathews, Cullen, New striker, New CH. Bows has difficult decisions to make.
    Its a shame that Phillips is already on a Contract with us

I presume if we sell him (to free up say his £5k p/w contract) that doesnt actually free up the £5k for someone else because he's exempt from the Salary Cap
    The cap is 2.5 mil as I understand it.
    that can be distributed among the players however the club deems to be appropriate.
    I may be wrong but it’s not 2k Max per player as I understand it.