Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

Any idea on when Schwartz will be announced?
  • The tweet above.......why would any of relevance be at the valley, wouldn’t they be at the training ground

im arguing with myself now.... new signings could be at the valley for a photo shoot

• Katrien is back. Accepting a delivery of decks from Wing Disco Hire of Sidcup.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
    I think it could well be the case mate... e.g. if Pearce is on £4k he doesnt count towards the cap FOR NOW!!

With his deal up in the summer if we want to offer him a new deal we'd only be able to offer him a deal that falls in line with the cap - Same with Doughty, we can offer him what he wants for now as he's an U21 but the moment he gets too old (if god forbid we're still at this level) then that salary impacts the rest of the squad
    Do you see this cap lasting? It’s a good idea, but personally think in the footballing world, it’s far too low in order to compete and then survive enough in the Championship when clubs get promoted.

£4mil a year is still around £4k a week for 19-20 senior pros. Just makes it that little bit more level.
    Yes its certainly needed, especially at this level and actually in some ways it would be great if we saw a top six of Accrington | Charlton | Rochdale | Fleetwood | Portsmouth | Crewe

Would mean that the cap has rightfully created a more level playing field when Football shouldnt be dictated by how rich you are as a side

The trouble is its also come in at the wrong level first - FIFA / UEFA need to grow a pair and force every league to implement something starting at the top and then going down... Like you say its great having something in place now but then when we go into the Championship we'll potentially need a massive overhaul of the squad again just to try and survive!! - Get relegated because the gamble didnt pay off and the reverse all but happens again where we maybe have to start selling or releasing players (out of contract) where we already fall foul of the cap
    But surely richer teams should be allowed to spend more if they're genuinely richer due to having more fans and thus more income?

If Accrington average 3,000 supporters and Sunderland 30,000, it seems bizarre that both would be restricted to spending the same amount. With the same wage bill, Sunderland could end up possibly stuck in L1, but making a massive profit for the owner.
    This 100%. A wage cap is fine, but should be based on income or turnover, not just some made up number. No wonder all the "small" clubs voted for it. 

I've said it before but I'd forget the wage cap & just bring in the players we needed. Obviously not pay over the top but if we need 8 players then bring them in. Let the EFL fine us or whatever they think is a "fair" punishment - then we appeal & drag it out for months like Sheff Wed (who just fucking cheated & got away with it)

boils my piss.
    Do you know what boils my piss? ,,, actually i wont ;) 

Whatever you feel we should do and whether this whole thing should be stupid, you dont make the rules. stop talking like you are the Lord or someone important.

All this wage cap thing is a load of bull, but it is what it is. Beyond our control unless the club feel its worth ignoring
  • The tweet above.......why would any of relevance be at the valley, wouldn’t they be at the training ground

im arguing with myself now.... new signings could be at the valley for a photo shoot
    They'd be at The Valley for the scarfy photo!
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
    I think it could well be the case mate... e.g. if Pearce is on £4k he doesnt count towards the cap FOR NOW!!

With his deal up in the summer if we want to offer him a new deal we'd only be able to offer him a deal that falls in line with the cap - Same with Doughty, we can offer him what he wants for now as he's an U21 but the moment he gets too old (if god forbid we're still at this level) then that salary impacts the rest of the squad
    Do you see this cap lasting? It’s a good idea, but personally think in the footballing world, it’s far too low in order to compete and then survive enough in the Championship when clubs get promoted.

£4mil a year is still around £4k a week for 19-20 senior pros. Just makes it that little bit more level.
    Yes its certainly needed, especially at this level and actually in some ways it would be great if we saw a top six of Accrington | Charlton | Rochdale | Fleetwood | Portsmouth | Crewe

Would mean that the cap has rightfully created a more level playing field when Football shouldnt be dictated by how rich you are as a side

The trouble is its also come in at the wrong level first - FIFA / UEFA need to grow a pair and force every league to implement something starting at the top and then going down... Like you say its great having something in place now but then when we go into the Championship we'll potentially need a massive overhaul of the squad again just to try and survive!! - Get relegated because the gamble didnt pay off and the reverse all but happens again where we maybe have to start selling or releasing players (out of contract) where we already fall foul of the cap
    But surely richer teams should be allowed to spend more if they're genuinely richer due to having more fans and thus more income?

If Accrington average 3,000 supporters and Sunderland 30,000, it seems bizarre that both would be restricted to spending the same amount. With the same wage bill, Sunderland could end up possibly stuck in L1, but making a massive profit for the owner.
    This 100%. A wage cap is fine, but should be based on income or turnover, not just some made up number. No wonder all the "small" clubs voted for it. 

I've said it before but I'd forget the wage cap & just bring in the players we needed. Obviously not pay over the top but if we need 8 players then bring them in. Let the EFL fine us or whatever they think is a "fair" punishment - then we appeal & drag it out for months like Sheff Wed (who just fucking cheated & got away with it)

boils my piss.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3980597#Comment_3980597
  • Redrobo said:
    Thomas with Cullen?
    Cullen would still be self isolating. 
  • Mouthall being led away in cuffs after a good kicking?
    Sadly that's probably something only to be seen on the dreams thread
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Mouthall being led away in cuffs after a good kicking?
    Sadly that's probably something only to be seen on the dreams thread
    Kinky!!
  • Schwartz a done deal according to the other site. I didn't realise he was 31!
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

boils my piss.

Whatever you feel we should do and whether this whole thing should be stupid, you dont make the rules. stop talking like you are the Lord or someone important.

All this wage cap thing is a load of bull, but it is what it is. Beyond our control unless the club feel its worth ignoring

Pretty sure it will be taken to court by the PFA or a player for restraint of trade or something similar.
  • I for one am grateful I didn't get to see the reflection of your lank-haired manky-pizza visage in the shop window as you passed on the way back to school

• Katrien is back. Accepting a delivery of decks from Wing Disco Hire of Sidcup.
    You've gone too far there - no comedy in that mendacious squirrel faced numpty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Sage said:

boils my piss.

Pretty sure it will be taken to court by the PFA or a player for restraint of trade or something similar.
    You would think so
  • edited September 2020
    Maddening that we seriously need to strengthen but are restricted to just 3 senior players with the rest having to be loaned U21's. I realise that some youngsters may be the dogs bollox, but they will probably have been snapped up already........and nothing beats experience. 

Be prepared for another season of purgatory.
  • Maddening that we seriously need to strengthen but are restricted to just 3 senior players with the rest having to be loaned U21's. I realise that some youngsters may be the dogs bollox, but they will probably have been snapped up already........and nothing beats experience. 

We're not restricted to three senior players... We're restricting ourselves

Nothing to stop us from going after targets who'll demand less in wages so we can bring in more senior players

In this instance though we're taking the risk with quality over quantity
  • Maddening that we seriously need to strengthen but are restricted to just 3 senior players with the rest having to be loaned U21's. I realise that some youngsters may be the dogs bollox, but they will probably have been snapped up already........and nothing beats experience. 

3 senior players and 3 loans from the prem would still seriously improve our squad. Maybe not to the extents that bowyer would necessary like but enough to make us competitive.

we are not the only team that the salary cap applies to, I would bet that Sunderland, Portsmouth to name two, would love to strengthen more but they are also restricted by the same rules that are restricting us.
  • ColinTat said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

That's all and well good but doesn't work if it's only our league. The playing field will be levelled out in Leagues 1 and 2, but I think you'll just see the gap widening elsewhere. Any club promoted from League 1 is going to struggle to stay in the championship. Relegated teams from the championship will have to make big changes to stay within the rules. I don't dislike the concept of the cap, but the big issue is actually what clubs are paying in the top two divisions. So they are approaching it wrong IMO.
     And why should anyone be bailing out these clubs.  Clubs don't meet their Tax obligations when they go bust, but players wages are protected.  Clubs don't bother paying small businesses when they go bust, but players are protected.  Clubs don't pay their NI contributions when they go bust, yet players get their contracts honoured in full.

Very few clubs in L1 should be paying more than £3 million in wages.  Sunderland are the other end of the spectrum.  The EFL are not going about anything in the wrong way.  The clubs have agreed or not agreed in their respective divisions.  There are so many basket cases in the championship, if a well run club get's promoted from L1 I'm more confident now that teams like Barnsley, Rotherham and Luton can compete.  At £2,000 a week vitually all players in L1 are paid way above their economic value.  With every club and player operating in the same market, quality will be available.  The base logic is when virtually all lower league clubs are facing bankruptcy why should players be protected and offered contracts with utter disconnect to their value and productivity?
    Completely disagree. You go on to contradict yourself by saying "there are so many basket cases in the championship". So why introduce a salary cap in leagues 1 and 2 but not in the championship? Do you really think 2k a week is above their economic value? I don't, not when you take into account the wages at the top 2 leagues. And like I said takes away the incentive for players to play first team football. When someone like Albie Morgan comes under the cap, why play in League 1 for 2k a week when he can play for a U23 championship club on quadruple that salary. 
      There is no contradiction.  Read what I have said.  The clubs in L1 and L2 have agreed a salary cap.  The championship clubs have not.  The EFL have been trying to get a commitment from Championship clubs to a salary cap:  The championship discussions are ongoing but there are too many clubs unwilling to accept anything bordering on sanity.

The EFL do not have the power to enforce a change in competition rules without a large majoritty of a division supporting it - 75% from memory.  So you blaming the EFL for lack of a cohesive 3 division plan, is utter rubbish not taking in the reality of the EFL organisation, and it's rules for member clubs.  If a club is a basket case, they rarely act in anything other than a selfish and uneconomic strategy.  Honestly take a moment to actually look into what the EFL are trying to do and what constraints they have, before spouting such uninformed rubbish.

Players in U23 clubs of established Premiership teams are already paid way above most of our first teamers.  Why do you think Kasey Palmer left?  Joe Gomez probably stayed as he respected the pathway to the first team at Charlton.  The disparity of pay is already present between our youth and Prem youth.  No contradiction here, just a completely wrongheaded and ill thought out point.
  • Found this on EFL website on salary cap

An ‘overrun’ concept is also included if a Club’s total squad salary payments exceed the Cap by up to 5%, whereby dependent on the percentage level of the overrun, a financial penalty would be payable for every £1 in excess. Clubs exceeding the ‘overrun’ would be referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission, although the EFL will monitor the Cap on a real-time basis throughout the season as is the current position with SCMP measures across the two divisions. Where breaches do occur, sanction guidelines are in place to be considered as appropriate by an independent Disciplinary Commission.

An ‘overrun’ concept is also included if a Club’s total squad salary payments exceed the Cap by up to 5%, whereby dependent on the percentage level of the overrun, a financial penalty would be payable for every £1 in excess. Clubs exceeding the ‘overrun’ would be referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission, although the EFL will monitor the Cap on a real-time basis throughout the season as is the current position with SCMP measures across the two divisions. Where breaches do occur, sanction guidelines are in place to be considered as appropriate by an independent Disciplinary Commission.
    As we know there are no timescales in a verdict from an independent commission, I expect the time scales to range for 1 week for Charlton and 2 years for everyone else

It would be just our luck ....... we scrape into the play offs by a single point, beat Sunderland yet again at Wembley, get promoted.

Then the EFL finally get around to announcing we've exceeded the wage cap by 5.1%, and been fined £5k and had 3 points deducted.
    Promotion handed to the Wembley losers instead.