Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Matthews would be the best RB in this league.

Its whether we want to invest one of our senior spaces on a RB. I personally think we should.

This new rule is absolutely pathetic. Whilst it may close the gap in League one, it’s going to be ridiculously hard for us to build any momentum with the wage caps. 

Just our luck really.
  • Matthews is excellent but maybe in Championship than L1, as he hardly assists? I find similar with Pratley too regarding being a better Championship player too.
  • It's a game. Matthews Vs any right back loan except the fella from Norwich is a no brainer.

Matthews is quality, proven last year with us! A loan signing is always a gamble.

Only works if we are signing someone new ( also a gamble Vs a loan)

The need to discuss salary cap Vs a sure thing is null and void.
    Whilst its difficult with the Salary Cap its also important that we try to build a solid squad so Gallen and Bowyer arent forced to rebuild every summer
    Agree entirely, further to allow the players to grow, or at least develop into a style that we play and be experts.

But as with an ambitious club under performing, we will need to strengthen significantly everytime we progress to underpin it.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Feel free to add your ITK's guys... Green section is growing fast now the takeover stuff is done. 
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/89807/the-itk-thread#latest
    Ok.  I've heard the deal for Schwartz is done.
    I have you as saying he was due to sign will update to HAS signed
  • Leuth said:
    You won't find a better defensive RB than Matthews. Maybe Bowyer fancies a more attacking one? Tbh if be surprised if Matthews isn't his priority though 
    Matthews is great at going forward though, maybe not defensively as a wing-back but he was one of our best crossers into the box last season
    He has pace and a good engine. Supports his winger well but won't get to the byline or threaten the box much. This doesn't really matter though as 1v1 he's as good as prime Solly 
  • Anything from anyone on the recent trialists?

I remember the names Ruben Carvalho & _ Taylor
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Anything from anyone on the recent trialists?

Matty Taylor (?) ex-Millwall Striker and Stan Asomugha are the others we've had
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2020
  • Tell us then
  • We do have a hole at right back and I would be amazed if Bowyer wasn't looking for one. I don't know what is going on with Matthews as I expected him to be our first signing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris Farnell, Hayden Mullins, Jeremy Corbyn, Mo Salah, Jo Brand. That's my first 5 guesses
  • Dazzler21 said:

The Taylor playing for the U23s yesterday seemed to be a centre back?
  • Made....... nah, let’s not go there. 
  • Another WUM no doubt 
  • Dazzler21 said:

So triallists have been

Ruben Carvalho
    Matty Taylor 
    Stan Asomugha

For Taylor didn't someone say he was wearing the 6 so more likely a CB? Is it Steven Taylor or a coincidence?
  • edited September 2020
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I am sure Phillips does count as a maximum of, I think, £2k p/w meaning we can bring in another player should he leave. Otherwise you’re saying that the only players that count in the cap are the ones we have signed so far, which is wrong. 
    I think it could well be the case mate... e.g. if Pearce is on £4k he doesnt count towards the cap FOR NOW!!

With his deal up in the summer if we want to offer him a new deal we'd only be able to offer him a deal that falls in line with the cap - Same with Doughty, we can offer him what he wants for now as he's an U21 but the moment he gets too old (if god forbid we're still at this level) then that salary impacts the rest of the squad
    Do you see this cap lasting? It’s a good idea, but personally think in the footballing world, it’s far too low in order to compete and then survive enough in the Championship when clubs get promoted.

£4mil a year is still around £4k a week for 19-20 senior pros. Just makes it that little bit more level.
    Yes its certainly needed, especially at this level and actually in some ways it would be great if we saw a top six of Accrington | Charlton | Rochdale | Fleetwood | Portsmouth | Crewe

Would mean that the cap has rightfully created a more level playing field when Football shouldnt be dictated by how rich you are as a side

The trouble is its also come in at the wrong level first - FIFA / UEFA need to grow a pair and force every league to implement something starting at the top and then going down... Like you say its great having something in place now but then when we go into the Championship we'll potentially need a massive overhaul of the squad again just to try and survive!! - Get relegated because the gamble didnt pay off and the reverse all but happens again where we maybe have to start selling or releasing players (out of contract) where we already fall foul of the cap
    But surely richer teams should be allowed to spend more if they're genuinely richer due to having more fans and thus more income?

If Accrington average 3,000 supporters and Sunderland 30,000, it seems bizarre that both would be restricted to spending the same amount. With the same wage bill, Sunderland could end up possibly stuck in L1, but making a massive profit for the owner.
    This 100%. A wage cap is fine, but should be based on income or turnover, not just some made up number. No wonder all the "small" clubs voted for it. 

I've said it before but I'd forget the wage cap & just bring in the players we needed. Obviously not pay over the top but if we need 8 players then bring them in. Let the EFL fine us or whatever they think is a "fair" punishment - then we appeal & drag it out for months like Sheff Wed (who just fucking cheated & got away with it)

boils my piss.

And who & when was this voted on ?  Did all 72 leagues clubs vote or just Leagues 1&2 ?  And was it once we had been relegated or before  ?
  • Thomas with Cullen?