Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• edited September 2020
    MarcusH26 said:
    Losing track now of what they've supposedly offered! £800k is nowhere near enough.
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

Personally I'd offer him a new 2-3y contract with 5m release clause. More likely to stay and we could do quite alot with 5m if Celtic decide they wanna pay him out. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Losing track now of what they've supposedly offered! £800k is nowhere near enough.
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

Personally I'd offer him a new 2-3y contract with 5m release clause. More likely to stay and we could do quite alot with 5m if Celtic decide they wanna pay him out. 
    What if we get promoted and he has a cracking season in the Championship?

It will be a similar situation to Gomez where the £5m will be a steal.

Just offer him what we can and top it up by employing his girlfriend to wash his boots for 3k a week.
  • I would take Maddison in a heartbeat but that's down to my faith in Bows and Gallen more so than Maddison's attitude problems.

MM is quality at this level and adds a goal scoring number 10 to the squad which is what we're missing with Williams, Oztumer and Aneke (although granted Oztumer has a good goal return at this level)

If Bowyer had a meeting with him in January (which in hindsight is so fucking stupid considering we was under an Embargo!) and liked the player enough to want him then in the championship, I'm sure he'll take him now.

• I would take Maddison in a heartbeat but that's down to my faith in Bows and Gallen more so than Maddison's attitude problems.

MM is quality at this level and adds a goal scoring number 10 to the squad which is what we're missing with Williams, Oztumer and Aneke (although granted Oztumer has a good goal return at this level)

If Bowyer had a meeting with him in January (which in hindsight is so fucking stupid considering we was under an Embargo!) and liked the player enough to want him then in the championship, I'm sure he'll take him now.

Wasn't it mentioned at the time that MM was impressed with what he heard with Bowyer but it was personal terms that couldn't be agreed?

I agree but MM was on Instagram yesterday sounding really really low.  Says this is his worst year ever after his dog died, his Mrs appears to have left him, he’s unemployed and it was his birthday.  He needs to get a deal and a new start so maybe we could be that option however nothing seems especially close for him right now.  Shame.  He could light up the valley

If we are banishing Phillips post Taylor, there's not a chance maddison will be signed. 
  • I've no interest MM and hope we stay away.

I don't think he would have bothered if he knew the embargo would still be in place in September! 
  • Maddison as player, no idea as a person, reminds me of Ricky Holmes.   Probably Oztumer as well actually. 

You can, as a fan, watch them and think they are far too good for league 1.  Then you look at how many games they have played above that level.  They have never been on massive wages, you would think someone in the championship would take a punt and make it work.

There is a reason championship clubs don't want them.  Players who look much more ordinary at league 1 level make good careers in the championship. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

How are we going to get 4m for a league one player who has about 9 months left on his contract?

It's all very well us offering him a deal but what can we realistically offer? Max 4-5k a week at best i'd have thought given the cap. Celtic have probably already told his agent they'll give him 3 times that.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

How are we going to get 4m for a league one player who has about 9 months left on his contract?

It's all very well us offering him a deal but what can we realistically offer? Max 4-5k a week at best i'd have thought given the cap. Celtic have probably already told his agent they'll give him 3 times that.
    Getting him playing and scoring goals and see where we are in January.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

He's u21 so we can offer him as much as we like.
  • edited September 2020
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

We can which then makes recruiting senior pros on low wages a conundrum for the club. Sometimes, era's/old status quos just change and you have to deal with it.
  • mendonca said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

We can which then makes recruiting senior pros on low wages a conundrum for the club. Sometimes, era's/old status quos just change and you have to deal with it.
    Yeah wasn't saying we'd offer him a huge contract. Our best chance of keeping him may be getting promoted this season and then signing a new contract after the season has ended. Being back in the Championship and knowing Bowyer has a decent budget to keep progressing might be the minimum Doughty wants to see, not just a good contract for himself.
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Minimum 4m
    With 10% sell on

I doubt they'd smash the wage structure and have a 20 year old kid on miles more than most of the rest of the squad though.
  • Rumours page please 
  • Scoham said:
    Doesn’t sound like Celtic will get anywhere near Doughty’s asking price if this is true.
    That's not the Celtic official site though.

Probably just some spotty 16 year old fan sat in his bedroom running that.

• Would be beneficial to have that player on the bench, I.e more consistent Jonny Williams who can break down teams who sit back and defend deep at The Valley. If Bowyer and Gallen take a punt on MM I wouldn’t be annoyed.

All our attacking threats are runners in behind. Unless Oz, Morgan & Williams up there games with assists, I think we would be foolish to let someone of his quality go to another team in league 1.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I don’t think we can say Lyle was vile off the pitch. He was the caring face of CAFC for many supporters, young and elderly. He did great charity work too. Ok, the social media stuff was a bit OTT and the fella enjoys a wind up but vile???
    on the pitch he was a leader, chased all day and scored and assisted more regularly than most players ever have in a charlton shirt. And then he fucked it all up with the way it ended. Sad really! If he’d stayed I’m sure we’d have stayed up and he could have left for his big payday with our blessing and been remembered for all the good he’d done. It’s a real shame 
    I haven't seen one single poster say he was "vile". But he was an arrogant dickhead off the pitch, always attention seeking on social media. That little barney with Watt was very crngey and he didn't come off well. I don't think he's a bad fella deep down, but he craves attention which leads him to do stupid things in order to get it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Doesn’t sound like Celtic will get anywhere near Doughty’s asking price if this is true.
    That's not the Celtic official site though.

Probably just some spotty 16 year old fan sat in his bedroom running that.

That might be true but looking into it a bit more it’ll be based this.

• Have I missed it, what is happening regarding Matthews? There is a bit of a hole in his position and I thought he would be our first signing under Sandgaard because of this. Is he thinking about it still? 
  • Would be beneficial to have that player on the bench, I.e more consistent Jonny Williams who can break down teams who sit back and defend deep at The Valley. If Bowyer and Gallen take a punt on MM I wouldn’t be annoyed.

All our attacking threats are runners in behind. Unless Oz, Morgan & Williams up there games with assists, I think we would be foolish to let someone of his quality go to another team in league 1.
    Williams got his fair share of assists when there were goalscorers in the team like Taylor and Gallagher.

Any player will find it harder to assist playing alongside non-goalscoring strikers such as Hemed or Parker (either sides of the above), and a midfield without many goals in them (after Gallagher left). 
  • edited September 2020
    MattF said:
    I cannot see Doughty going unless several million are put on the table and even then, I would be asking him, prospect of Championship football next year and a new longer term contract with us to keep him happy? 

A shame we could not lock Matthews in ahead of today’s game, but likely to be a very busy week this week if Bowyer wants 10-11 in total, having secured 5 already. What a refreshing change this is to what we have come to expect.

We appear to have a super duper phone owner, but a League One salary cap to contend with, our only frustration. 
    Fortunately we're currently well below the salary cap (at least according to Justin Allen), so we have some room to manoeuvre
    Yep, all those players from last season's squad still with us and those signed before the salary cap came in, are counted as £2k pw wages - regardless of what their actual wage is.

And of course the wages of players aged under 21 on 1st January 2020 are completely disregarded.

• edited September 2020
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I don’t think we can say Lyle was vile off the pitch. He was the caring face of CAFC for many supporters, young and elderly. He did great charity work too. Ok, the social media stuff was a bit OTT and the fella enjoys a wind up but vile???
    on the pitch he was a leader, chased all day and scored and assisted more regularly than most players ever have in a charlton shirt. And then he fucked it all up with the way it ended. Sad really! If he’d stayed I’m sure we’d have stayed up and he could have left for his big payday with our blessing and been remembered for all the good he’d done. It’s a real shame 
    Good post. So far he as scored more goals at Forest for us and my it continue for a while. In a year or two he may regret his move . Meanwhile we move on with Thomas.
    It’s certain that Taylor significantly increased his wages at Forest. By the time, if ever Charlton are in footballing terms a better bet than Forest then Lyle will be long retired. I doubt LT gives us more than a passing thought.
  • I find it fascinating with the current look of our squad some of you are turning your nose up to Marcus Maddison. He is probably one of the best attacking players at this level. He might be bit of a helmet but I can handle that what I can't handle is what I saw last week against Doncaster.

This. If we don’t get lucky with Schwartz ( if he signs) being a 20 goal striker then I really don’t think we’ll score enough goals to be a promotion contender. 
  • I find it fascinating with the current look of our squad some of you are turning your nose up to Marcus Maddison. He is probably one of the best attacking players at this level. He might be bit of a helmet but I can handle that what I can't handle is what I saw last week against Doncaster.

This. If we don’t get lucky with Schwartz ( if he signs) being a 20 goal striker then I really don’t think we’ll score enough goals to be a promotion contender. 
    Apart from Oxford and m Taylor, who else has a striker likely to get 20 goals?