Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    If there is a six figure sum being talked about I would think that this is definitely a signing with the first team squad in mind not a development player.
    TS has money to spend but I can't see anyone throwing money at "only" potential under the current financial restrictions.
    With Doughty’s future up in the air too I would presume this is a like for like replacement but we're finally in a position where we can sign a replacement BEFORE we let anyone go.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm so glad we will have some wingers finally 
    Left sided all of them so far. 
    Think Maddison has played on the right a lot
    Yeah Maddison is a right winger. 

Maddison played in about 7 different positions for Peterborough including emergency LB.
    This was the player I noticed on the left wing when he only had one Tattoo !

He has an unbelievable talent, he wants to score goals and can score goals, with a magical left foot. On the other side, he works hard. Marcus was a selfish lad when I first came to the football club and now he's a match-winner and team player.

— Gateshead manager Gary Mills speaking in August 2014.[26]

• Options
    MattF said:
    Absolutely mental he’s at Man City. He’s no better than Morgan, I’d even say he’s worse. 
  • Options
    We are not one of the club's interested.
    And I don't suppose QPR are, either.

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think Maddison has played on the right a lot
    Yeah Maddison is a right winger. 

Maddison played in about 7 different positions for Peterborough including emergency LB.
    This was the player I noticed on the left wing when he only had one Tattoo !

He has an unbelievable talent, he wants to score goals and can score goals, with a magical left foot. On the other side, he works hard. Marcus was a selfish lad when I first came to the football club and now he's a match-winner and team player.

— Gateshead manager Gary Mills speaking in August 2014.[26]

Worked at Peterborough for a couple of years and only remember him playing on the right. Likes to cut in and shoot. 
  • Options
    Josh Sims has just gone to Doncaster. They also re-signed the young Wolves striker on loan. 

They’ve done some great business this season and look the real deal. 
    Reckon they'll be one of the two sides that'll get automatic promotion this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Taking the 433:

Washington and Maddison wide right
    Doughty, Dutch Ian, Thomas wide left.

• Options
    Josh Sims has just gone to Doncaster. They also re-signed the young Wolves striker on loan. 

Reckon they'll be one of the two sides that'll get automatic promotion this season

they looked very good at the Valley didn't they
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:
    Absolutely mental he’s at Man City. He’s no better than Morgan, I’d even say he’s even worse. 
    I don't know how we can say we saw enough of him to judge. He only made 2 appearances and both were off the bench. 
    That says all you need to know. We were desperate for a good midfielder last season, and Bowyer preferred to play the likes of Ben Dempsey and Morgan. He also looked lost whenever he came on.

To me he’s one of many kids who have fallen through the cracks at big clubs - they hoard so much young talent they don’t know what to do with it. 
  • Options

Darren Moore 11/10 to take Barnsley job. Losing their manager could play an issue.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:
    Absolutely mental he’s at Man City. He’s no better than Morgan, I’d even say he’s even worse. 
    I don't know how we can say we saw enough of him to judge. He only made 2 appearances and both were off the bench. 
    That says all you need to know. We were desperate for a good midfielder last season, and Bowyer preferred to play the likes of Ben Dempsey and Morgan. He also looked lost whenever he came on.

To me he’s one of many kids who have fallen through the cracks at big clubs - they hoard so much young talent they don’t know what to do with it. 
    You're right I think. Man city probably think if Giggs is playing him regularly then he must be good enough to stay and loan out.
  • Options
    And nor does Ryan Giggs! 
  • Options
    On Sorba Thomas although he’s made over 70 appearances last season was the first time he started regularly. Before that he made most
    of his appearances off the bench.

He’s only scored 5 but all of them came last season when he made 35 appearances  - we shouldn’t write him off as only being a creator. To me that’s a player with the potential to be a goalscoring winger.

Players like Jackson, Bailey and JBG became goalscoring midfielders for us, they didn’t come to us after years of scoring 10+ a season.

I would guess he’s the bonus player Bowyer talked about, so I wonder why he seemed to say two was more likely. Maybe it’ll only happen if a player goes, but then that doesn’t seem necessary as his wages won’t count towards the cap due to his age.

• Options
    Having a time out watching levels 7/8/9 of Football Pyrimid, so not watching Cafc matches on Valley pass.

Where have Maddison played so far for Cafc ?

With an increase in left sided players(more if the Thomas deal goes through) Maddison may well play central midfield where his goal scoring will help or on the right to feed the strikers. 

• Options

Afte
    They did but not until after they'd nicked the lead on the counter.

We made them look good that day ...... but we've signed 7 new players since!

• Options
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:

This Smith lad, he's been playing for Wales this week hasn't he?

I haven't watched their games - how's he looked?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020

We could’ve gone 2 or 3 up if we could finish, but once they scored they looked very good and we were very poor 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    On Sorba Thomas although he’s made over 70 appearances last season was the first time he started regularly. Before that he made most

He’s only scored 5 but all of them came last season when he made 35 appearances  - we shouldn’t write him off as only being a creator. To me that’s a player with the potential to be a goalscoring winger.

Players like Jackson, Bailey and JBG became goalscoring midfielders for us, they didn’t come to us after years of scoring 10+ a season.

I would guess he’s the bonus player Bowyer talked about, so I wonder why he seemed to say two was more likely. Maybe it’ll only happen if a player goes, but then that doesn’t seem necessary as his wages won’t count towards the cap due to his age.

Yes but 3 of the 5 were pens...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:

He always gets called up but doesn’t start much. He’s a bit of a ‘nothing’ player for me, he’s not good defensively and not good going forward. He keeps the ball moving relatively well but you have to bring more to the table than that. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's good on the ball though, pacy, creates space for himself and others, likes to cut inside (Bowyer bonus point :smile:).

Maybe Bow thinks he can fill Leko's shirt? 

• Options
    Scoham said:

Fair enough, though it doesn’t really change my point - young midfielders can improve and develop into goalscorers.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:
    That's not right... Matt Smith wasn't around when they were playing. Remember covid stopped play and Smith didn't return. And in the three other games when Smith was around and he didn't feature, neither Morgan or Dempsey played in his place. In fact the midfield lineups were typically strong first teamers like McGeady, Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Davis, Oz. 

He was returned to Man City after the break because Bowyer said the club didn't want to pay money for the remaining two games and while having to get him fit again. 

Always thought as fans we are so quick to jump on young loanees sometimes. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:

He always gets called up but doesn’t start much. He’s a bit of a ‘nothing’ player for me, he’s not good defensively and not good going forward. He keeps the ball moving relatively well but you have to bring more to the table than that. 
    Perhaps he performs and looks better with confident better players around him?

He wouldn't have stood a chance in our grim injury ravaged, lost confidence bunch of desperate relegation strugglers last spring.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:
    That's not right... Matt Smith wasn't around when they were playing. Remember covid stopped play and Smith didn't return. And in the three other games when Smith was around and he didn't feature, neither Morgan or Dempsey played in his place. In fact the midfield lineups were typically strong first teamers like McGeady, Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Davis, Oz. 

He was returned to Man City after the break because Bowyer said the club didn't want to pay money for the remaining two games and while having to get him fit again. 

You're right there, Chunes.

Don't forget though, Smith had also been on loan last season at a very mediocre QPR side and barely played. Made no mark there either.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    MattF said:

I take your point - I must be misremembering regarding Morgan and Dempsey, but my point remains the same. He couldn't get into a woeful midfield, and while an injury may have been the reasoning for ending the loan, there was plenty of time where he was fit and ready to play. 

I distinctly remember a couple of QPR fans telling me he was rubbish, and I distinctly remember him being rubbish whenever he came on, although everyone else was too.

I'm not saying he is rubbish, he's just not a Championship player right now. I do find it very odd that he's on Man City's books when we have players like Aaron Henry on ours. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Fair enough, though it doesn’t really change my point - young midfielders can improve and develop into strikers.
    And even full blown international players like Thierry Henry developed into strikers.