Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    George Boyd having his contract cancelled because of the wages cap.
    The 35 year old ex Charlton youth player and Chatham born, is leaving the Posh.

The new normal is kicking in quickly now. 
    The Peterborough manager told the club website: "With the new salary cap regulations, we just couldn’t find a way of fitting George into it."

Bit of a weird thing to say imo when the Peterborough owner was one of the people to vote for the cap
    I suppose the vote was before any new signings... Maybe their new signings mean they can't now squeeze him in and need to free up the £1,700 for another player or to improve an existing players contract.
    Surely they have to pay Boyd off and, if so, it will count towards their £2.5M annual cap?
    Not sure it would. He won't be part of their 22 man squad or entire side anymore so salary won't be included in cap. (I think)
    I can’t see how that would work, surely that would mean that we can just cancel a few contracts before the end of the season, pay off the players and that way they won’t count towards our cap?

My reading of the rules is that all contracted salary payments count towards the cap, whether you pay them weekly/monthly or pay them upfront (as in a contract termination). 
    How does that explain what Peterborough have done with George Boyd? 
  • Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

The Peterborough manager told the club website: "With the new salary cap regulations, we just couldn’t find a way of fitting George into it."

Bit of a weird thing to say imo when the Peterborough owner was one of the people to vote for the cap
    I suppose the vote was before any new signings... Maybe their new signings mean they can't now squeeze him in and need to free up the £1,700 for another player or to improve an existing players contract.
    Surely they have to pay Boyd off and, if so, it will count towards their £2.5M annual cap?
    Not sure it would. He won't be part of their 22 man squad or entire side anymore so salary won't be included in cap. (I think)
    I can’t see how that would work, surely that would mean that we can just cancel a few contracts before the end of the season, pay off the players and that way they won’t count towards our cap?

My reading of the rules is that all contracted salary payments count towards the cap, whether you pay them weekly/monthly or pay them upfront (as in a contract termination). 
    Perhaps they had an option on his contract that allowed them to terminate his contract without paying him off. Or perhaps he accepted cancellation of his deal without being paid off because he thinks he can find another/better deal as a free agent. Or maybe they negotiated a settlement that pays him a % of the salary that he would have been due if he stayed for the full season and that gives them some extra room under the cap. 

Basically, I’m not sure, but I don’t think you can just pay off players who have contracts and it not count towards your cap. 
  • Everton have just released Shani Tarashaj. Strange one that. Was thought to be a real prospect four years ago and then seems to have played progressively fewer games since then, culminating in not playing a single game on loan at an Eredivisie club who cut it short. I wonder if we would have a look at him, no idea if he's completely gone to pieces or just needs a fresh start. Striker/winger
    If was still championship possibly yes. But A lot of people seem to keep forgetting about this cap or are being completely unrealistic. The guy would fit with Charlton as he has basically been injured almost 90% of his time out on loan which is why he was sent back one year yes one year early. He also was on 17,500 a week so don’t think he would sign for 2k a week somehow to a league one club. We need to focus on a striker in league 2 on bottom end of league one who may sell to us and be able to not have issues with salary cap. Or a loan for an unproven but talented prem 2 striker would be a much more realistic option. 
  • Everton have just released Shani Tarashaj. Strange one that. Was thought to be a real prospect four years ago and then seems to have played progressively fewer games since then, culminating in not playing a single game on loan at an Eredivisie club who cut it short. I wonder if we would have a look at him, no idea if he's completely gone to pieces or just needs a fresh start. Striker/winger
    If was still championship possibly yes. But A lot of people seem to keep forgetting about this cap or are being completely unrealistic. The guy would fit with Charlton as he has basically been injured almost 90% of his time out on loan which is why he was sent back one year yes one year early. He also was on 17,500 a week so don’t think he would sign for 2k a week somehow to a league one club. We need to focus on a striker in league 2 on bottom end of league one who may sell to us and be able to not have issues with salary cap. Or a loan for an unproven but talented prem 2 striker would be a much more realistic option. 
    Why would he have to sign up for £2K per week? The cap is £2.5M per annum and I would imagine we have more than £104K (£2K x 52) of that remaining. 

Not saying we should sign him, not sure I even know who he is, but the cap wouldn’t restrict us to £2K a week offers if we wanted to. 
  • George Boyd having his contract cancelled because of the wages cap.

The new cap is clearly ageist , otherwise why boot out the old guy. I don't  see it wasting.
    Indeed why vote for it if this happens.  Very like Brexit where everyone  says "I didn't  vote for that" if no deal happens. 

At Peterborough last season, the two highest wage earners were Marcus Maddison (what ever happened to him ?)
    and George Boyd. 

The days of Catermole earning 50k a week in League 1 have gone. (He signed in premiership)

Will Griggs leaving Wigan for Sunderland on 31/1/19 deadline day for 4 million !

The above is why the cap was voted in.

Will Griggs knew he made a mistake in leaving (an article in a Wigan paper)
    4 goals in 45 matches for the Wearsiders confirmed his loss of form.

I'm not sure Sunderland are the reason why the cap was needed, as their finances and income bear no relation to those of the majority of L1 and L2 clubs. 

It's clubs like Salford which are spending money which bears no relation to their income

Good point Killer.
    When Adam Rooney went to Salford in the National League from Aberdeen you knew the United old boys were paying top money at least for a striker. I assume they are doing similar in League 2.  
    Their current wage bill is already allegedly more than 1m over the league one cap........and they're in league 2.

They supposedly trebled Andrade's wage when they signed him from Lincoln. They signed Towell from Brighton, Tom Elliott who was at Millwall, Ian Henderson who scored loads for Rochdale in league one, James Wilson from Aberdeen.

There's no way any of these are on an average league 2 wage. Most if not all, will be on more than the 2.5k a week league one average.

No idea how they're going to get round it next year.
  • Kelman has joined QPR from Southend
  • se9addick said:
    Everton have just released Shani Tarashaj. Strange one that. Was thought to be a real prospect four years ago and then seems to have played progressively fewer games since then, culminating in not playing a single game on loan at an Eredivisie club who cut it short. I wonder if we would have a look at him, no idea if he's completely gone to pieces or just needs a fresh start. Striker/winger
    Why would he have to sign up for £2K per week? The cap is £2.5M per annum and I would imagine we have more than £104K (£2K x 52) of that remaining. 

Not saying we should sign him, not sure I even know who he is, but the cap wouldn’t restrict us to £2K a week offers if we wanted to. 
    I was using a average and having signed what was Previously one of Peterborough’s Highest two earners And a championship paid striker in bogle I can’t see us having a considerable amount above the 2k a week in order to lure prem wages of 17,500 per week was my point 
    Booo! 
  • Might they want to loan him out? Says he will initially link up with their under 23 side
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Perhaps they had an option on his contract that allowed them to terminate his contract without paying him off. Or perhaps he accepted cancellation of his deal without being paid off because he thinks he can find another/better deal as a free agent. Or maybe they negotiated a settlement that pays him a % of the salary that he would have been due if he stayed for the full season and that gives them some extra room under the cap. 

Basically, I’m not sure, but I don’t think you can just pay off players who have contracts and it not count towards your cap. 

Peterboro have obviously come to an agreement financially with Boyd to let him go. They couldn't do it without his consent (except disciplinary).
    Boyd was their highest earner (in real wage terms) and at 35 perhaps was told that he wouldn't be getting much game time?

Most players want to keep playing if they can. He'll now be a free agent and perhaps already has a club lined up?
    Remember, free agents need to be released by their clubs before the close of the transfer window, so the timing of his release makes sense.

Expect him to sign for a new club very soon.

• RedRobin said:
    I wonder with Doughty if it doesnt help that he's "admitted" that its best he doesnt say which Football team he supports

I'd be surprised if that doesnt limit him to Millwall | Palace or West Ham at a stretch

If you played for one of those two and had a chance to play at a higher level than them, would you take it?
    He is a Millwall supporter, I know this because his old man works for the same firm as me. 
    Is he leaving?

The new cap is clearly ageist , otherwise why boot out the old guy. I don't  see it wasting.
    Indeed why vote for it if this happens.  Very like Brexit where everyone  says "I didn't  vote for that" if no deal happens. 

At Peterborough last season, the two highest wage earners were Marcus Maddison (what ever happened to him ?)
    and George Boyd. 

The days of Catermole earning 50k a week in League 1 have gone. (He signed in premiership)

Will Griggs leaving Wigan for Sunderland on 31/1/19 deadline day for 4 million !

I'm not sure Sunderland are the reason why the cap was needed, as their finances and income bear no relation to those of the majority of L1 and L2 clubs. 

It's clubs like Salford which are spending money which bears no relation to their income

Good point Killer.
    When Adam Rooney went to Salford in the National League from Aberdeen you knew the United old boys were paying top money at least for a striker. I assume they are doing similar in League 2.  
    Their current wage bill is already allegedly more than 1m over the league one cap........and they're in league 2.

They supposedly trebled Andrade's wage when they signed him from Lincoln. They signed Towell from Brighton, Tom Elliott who was at Millwall, Ian Henderson who scored loads for Rochdale in league one, James Wilson from Aberdeen.

There's no way any of these are on an average league 2 wage. Most if not all, will be on more than the 2.5k a week league one average.

If those players were signed before the rules came in  AND are still contracted for 21/22 then they'll still be covered by the average salary rule
  • Very quiet on the rumour mill today.

"Operation Shhhhh" in full swing at Sparrows Lane. :wink:

Does that indicate the Smyth deal is on?
    Just depends on the player really and what they want to achieve. We're definitely not paying Williams what he was on at Palace (£20,000 pw), or Amos what he was on at Bolton (£16,000 pw). Even Pratley was on £14,000 pw at Bolton. Sure they signed before the cap, but Chris Gunter was on £20,000 pw at Reading and you can bet he's not on that now. If a player wants to make a fresh start and prove himself then he'll take a decent pay cut if that's what he wants to do. The fact he's cancelled his contract with Everton implies he wants to play somewhere. I don't know if he's fit to play or if we'd be interested in him, or if he just wants to sit on a pile of money like a dragon, but just ruling players out because they earned more money off their last contract isn't wise. The only way we're getting anywhere with this cap is uncovering players at a lower level on lower wages than what we can offer, or finding players who played at a higher level and have foundered or reached an age where they need to take a cut to keep playing. Rule no-one out
  • Oggy Red said:
    Very quiet on the rumour mill today.

"Operation Shhhhh" in full swing at Sparrows Lane. :wink:

I think any business that we get done now will be on deadline day. In and out.
  • ross1 said:
    He heard that Alfie Spanner was going there.

• edited October 2020
    We are a goal scorer light.
    We need to either take a chance on a 19 year old from the premier or take a punt on a course and distance winner, someone like Paddy Madden (or Paddy Madden!) a penalty area fox in the box in the lower Leagues.

Do we all understand that we can go above 2k a week. It's been explained ad nauseam.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    He chose us? More like Chelsea chose us so he is closer to home and easier to keep track of his progress.
  • Dizzle said:
    Might they want to loan him out? Says he will initially link up with their under 23 side
    If only we had someone with contacts at QPR
  • Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Peterboro have obviously come to an agreement financially with Boyd to let him go. They couldn't do it without his consent (except disciplinary).
    Boyd was their highest earner (in real wage terms) and at 35 perhaps was told that he wouldn't be getting much game time?

Most players want to keep playing if they can. He'll now be a free agent and perhaps already has a club lined up?
    Remember, free agents need to be released by their clubs before the close of the transfer window, so the timing of his release makes sense.

It’ll be interesting where he ends up, probably the worst time in history to be a free agent. A 35 year old striker without a club five weeks into the season sounds like a dark place to be.

Re Peterborough paying him off, that’s basically the third scenario that I outlined, but whatever the terms of that agreement are I can’t see how any payment made under it wouldn’t count towards their salary cap number.  
  • ross1 said:
    He chose us? More like Chelsea chose us so he is closer to home and easier to keep track of his progress.
    And also Celtic signed a left back on loan from AC Milan so Maatsen would likely hardly ever play.
  • se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It’ll be interesting where he ends up, probably the worst time in history to be a free agent. A 35 year old striker without a club five weeks into the season sounds like a dark place to be.

Re Peterborough paying him off, that’s basically the third scenario that I outlined, but whatever the terms of that agreement are I can’t see how any payment made under it wouldn’t count towards their salary cap number.  
    Twitter rumours are a return to Stevenage. 
  • I personally think Smyth could be a cracking signing with the players we have. It's not about the record, it's about how they fit the team. A rapid multipurpose forward is just about ideal to round things out. And I *may* have softened my stance towards some sort of midfield presence, although I still don't entirely see the need ;)

and George Boyd. 

Good point Killer.

Most of those players won't be affected by the rules as were more than likely signed before it came in.

Should they get promotion and find themselves in league one next season I fully expect the wage cap rule to disappear, or at least change. It probably will anyway, but I'm sure the darlings of English football the class of '92 will have a word with the EFL.
  • knew it would be Wuck All Wednesday.