Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Morgan is crying out for a loan, genuinely believe he’d come back the real deal with the right move where he can plan 40 plus games without the pressure of Charlton.
    He needs a move above National League in my opinion, which could mean only able to recall in January... 

Unless we loan him to NL til January then get in a player in January to support the squad and try to loan Albie to L2. He needs to be playing CAM for me.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan is crying out for a loan, genuinely believe he’d come back the real deal with the right move where he can plan 40 plus games without the pressure of Charlton.
    He needs a move above National League in my opinion, which could mean only able to recall in January... 

Unless we loan him to NL til January then get in a player in January to support the squad and try to loan Albie to L2. He needs to be playing CAM for me.
    I think L2 personally, I’d say NL if he was 17/18 but he’s 20 now.  Colchester/Orient/Crawley/Southend.  Sounds arrogant admittedly but he’s surely good enough to start for those sides.
    Hopefully we will now do the decent thing and loan players for free in recognition of what other clubs have done for us. 
    Morgan, Lapslie, Davison have championship experience and league 2 is the level we should be looking for.
  • League 2 loan for Albie Morgan, would be best, but not much difference now with the top half of National League and the bottom half of League 2. 
  • edited October 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan is crying out for a loan, genuinely believe he’d come back the real deal with the right move where he can plan 40 plus games without the pressure of Charlton.

I think L2 personally, I’d say NL if he was 17/18 but he’s 20 now.  Colchester/Orient/Crawley/Southend.  Sounds arrogant admittedly but he’s surely good enough to start for those sides.
    Hopefully we will now do the decent thing and loan players for free in recognition of what other clubs have done for us. 
    Morgan, Lapslie, Davison have championship experience and league 2 is the level we should be looking for.
    Ideally, yes. But .......

1) The wretched wage cap if they're considered a senior player 21 and over. Loaning players for 'free' does not reduce our wage cap expenditure.

2) Any player loaned to a L2 side cannot be recalled until the next transfer window, if needed here.
        Which is why Morgan, etc last season went beneath them to NL ..... where they can be recalled early.

• Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

1) The wretched wage cap if they're considered a senior player 21 and over. Loaning players for 'free' does not reduce our wage cap expenditure.

2) Any player loaned to a L2 side cannot be recalled until the next transfer window, if needed here.
        Which is why Morgan, etc last season went beneath them to NL ..... where they can be recalled early.

Agreed on Lapslie, there's no point loaning him out for free because then we can't spend his wages. Morgan, Vennings, Davison though, I'd like to see us picking up the wages. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Agreed on Lapslie, there's no point loaning him out for free because then we can't spend his wages. Morgan, Vennings, Davison though, I'd like to see us picking up the wages. 
    And maybe that could happen as a gesture of goodwill to smaller clubs in these Covid times.

After all, we're still paying their wages if they stay here.

• edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Under 21s should be loaned on the basis of match time, which is what other clubs do with our loans - the more they play, the less you pay!

January is only 2 1/2 months away anyway, which isn't long. Normally there would be 4 months between the end of the summer window and the start of the next one
  • George Boyd having his contract cancelled because of the wages cap.
    The 35 year old ex Charlton youth player and Chatham born, is leaving the Posh.

The new normal is kicking in quickly now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    George Boyd having his contract cancelled because of the wages cap.

The Peterborough manager told the club website: "With the new salary cap regulations, we just couldn’t find a way of fitting George into it."

Bit of a weird thing to say imo when the Peterborough owner was one of the people to vote for the cap
    I suppose the vote was before any new signings... Maybe their new signings mean they can't now squeeze him in and need to free up the £1,700 for another player or to improve an existing players contract.
  • edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No, but we could loan lapslie out for say £50k and that fee goes back into our cap allowance. 

Payments directly linked to a Club’s progression in cup competitions or promotion are excluded from the Cap, while any income generated from players going out on loan is deducted from the Club’s Salary Cap calculation.
  • Dizzle said:
    dickplumb said:
    It looks like Luton have made an improved bid for Doughty.
    Eurgh. Luton. 
    looks like we've been transported back 40 years where Luton nick our up & coming youngsters....
    If only it were true☹️
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No, but we could loan lapslie out for say £50k and that fee goes back into our cap allowance. 

Payments directly linked to a Club’s progression in cup competitions or promotion are excluded from the Cap, while any income generated from players going out on loan is deducted from the Club’s Salary Cap calculation.
    No offence to Lapslie but I cannot imagine many clubs up for paying both a fee and wages for him, especially when they're likely to be under a cap themselves. That could work with Phillips though. 
  • Everton have just released Shani Tarashaj. Strange one that. Was thought to be a real prospect four years ago and then seems to have played progressively fewer games since then, culminating in not playing a single game on loan at an Eredivisie club who cut it short. I wonder if we would have a look at him, no idea if he's completely gone to pieces or just needs a fresh start. Striker/winger
  • BalladMan said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Timmy Abraham was in our Academy until 3 years ago.
    Who calls their kids Timmy and Tammy?  Bordering on Neville Neville territory. 
    I kid you not, my brother in law’s three girls from his first marriage are called Tina, Gina and Dina. He’s from South Carolina.

Were Tina, Gina and Dina, conceived in the back of a mk3 Cortina ?
    Whilst drinking Ribena and watching re-runs of Arena.  
  • Dazzler21 said:

The Peterborough manager told the club website: "With the new salary cap regulations, we just couldn’t find a way of fitting George into it."

Bit of a weird thing to say imo when the Peterborough owner was one of the people to vote for the cap
    I suppose the vote was before any new signings... Maybe their new signings mean they can't now squeeze him in and need to free up the £1,700 for another player or to improve an existing players contract.
    Surely they have to pay Boyd off and, if so, it will count towards their £2.5M annual cap?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No offence to Lapslie but I cannot imagine many clubs up for paying both a fee and wages for him, especially when they're likely to be under a cap themselves. That could work with Phillips though. 
    I was thinking more like he plays for them for 'free' with a loan fee which will probably zero off his salary for us, not us ending in credit. 
  • se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Surely they have to pay Boyd off and, if so, it will count towards their £2.5M annual cap?
    Not sure it would. He won't be part of their 22 man squad or entire side anymore so salary won't be included in cap. (I think)
  • Sponsored links:

The new cap is clearly ageist , otherwise why boot out the old guy. I don't  see it wasting.
    Indeed why vote for it if this happens.  Very like Brexit where everyone  says "I didn't  vote for that" if no deal happens. 

At Peterborough last season, the two highest wage earners were Marcus Maddison (what ever happened to him ?)
    and George Boyd. 

The days of Catermole earning 50k a week in League 1 have gone. (He signed in premiership)

Will Griggs leaving Wigan for Sunderland on 31/1/19 deadline day for 4 million !

The above is why the cap was voted in.

Will Griggs knew he made a mistake in leaving (an article in a Wigan paper)
    4 goals in 45 matches for the Wearsiders confirmed his loss of form.

Perhaps the Peterboro' Chairman doesn't like George Boyd.....

The new cap is clearly ageist , otherwise why boot out the old guy. I don't  see it wasting.
    Indeed why vote for it if this happens.  Very like Brexit where everyone  says "I didn't  vote for that" if no deal happens. 

At Peterborough last season, the two highest wage earners were Marcus Maddison (what ever happened to him ?)
    and George Boyd. 

The days of Catermole earning 50k a week in League 1 have gone. (He signed in premiership)

Will Griggs leaving Wigan for Sunderland on 31/1/19 deadline day for 4 million !

I'm not sure Sunderland are the reason why the cap was needed, as their finances and income bear no relation to those of the majority of L1 and L2 clubs. 

It's clubs like Salford which are spending money which bears no relation to their income
  • edited October 2020
    Moo said:
    Herbie Kane from Liverpool would be great at this level. 
    Liverpool looking to sell as well.
  • edited October 2020

and George Boyd. 

I'm not sure Sunderland are the reason why the cap was needed, as their finances and income bear no relation to those of the majority of L1 and L2 clubs. 

It's clubs like Salford which are spending money which bears no relation to their income
    Sunderland's average home gate last season (pre Covid break) was in the region of 30,000. Salford's was nearer 3,500 and they have a capacity of 5,106. If Salford go up then their cap will be the same as that of Sunderland next season. That doesn't seem fair.

Couldn't the cap should be linked to revenue from previous season attendances? That way the cap will reflect actual money through the gate and not be influenced by money coming from the Man United boys and their backers as that will only be sustainable all the time they are around. Equally, you can't just take attendances into account without linking it to ticket sales because of "kids for a quid" type games artificially inflating these. There should still be a "floor and ceiling" to the cap but there has to be a differential.
  • Moo said:
    Herbie Kane from Liverpool would be great at this level. 
    Liverpool looking to sell as well.
    To Hull..... Let's sneak in and steal him away:  https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/10/13/report-herbie-kane-could-be-sold-by-friday-with-hull-city-linked/

and George Boyd. 

Sunderland's average home gate last season (pre Covid break) was in the region of 30,000. Salford's was nearer 3,500. If Salford go up then their cap will be the same as that of Sunderland next season. That doesn't seem fair.

Couldn't the cap should be linked to revenue from previous season attendances? That way the cap will reflect actual money through the gate and not be influenced by money coming from the Man United boys and their backers as that will only be sustainable all the time they are around. Equally, you can't just take attendances into account without linking it to ticket sales because of "kids for a quid" type games artificially inflating these. There should still be a "floor and ceiling" to the cap but there has to be a differential.
    I was interested to see how the salary cap was voted through in League one and found the following article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/07/league-one-and-league-two-clubs-pass-vote-to-bring-in-salary-cap

the ballot in League One for a £2.5m cap was tighter, with 16 clubs in favour, seven against and one withholding their vote

24 votes, 66% for, 29% against, 4% withheld.   

I am not sure what the quorum required for passing a resolution is (curtailment of the season was >50% vote, but other votes have been a higher quorum) but just two clubs have held the position of power which has swung it in favour of the cap.  

As I have read on here, Charlton were included in the vote as it was post-relegation, so I assume we were one of the 7 against.  

and George Boyd. 

Good point Killer.
    When Adam Rooney went to Salford in the National League from Aberdeen you knew the United old boys were paying top money at least for a striker. I assume they are doing similar in League 2.  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Not sure it would. He won't be part of their 22 man squad or entire side anymore so salary won't be included in cap. (I think)
    I can’t see how that would work, surely that would mean that we can just cancel a few contracts before the end of the season, pay off the players and that way they won’t count towards our cap?

My reading of the rules is that all contracted salary payments count towards the cap, whether you pay them weekly/monthly or pay them upfront (as in a contract termination).