Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    With Doughty there is the question of whether he's good enough as a player in his own right to merit a system being built around him or whether we could potentially have a better team without necessarily having the best individual players.

He's got pace and directness but if we make him the teams key man and he gets injured or suspended we'd be screwed. On the other hand you theoretically can swap JW for Maddison or vice versa, or Bogle for Aneke etc. If the Smyth signing comes off, he's the cover/alternative to Washington etc. We could still use the same system with different players.

Doughty is out for whatever reason there's no-one to directly replace him as you can't teach someone to be a fast runner.
    Build a team around Doherty?! I don’t suppose that has ever crossed Bowyer’s mind. He’s quickish, but still has to learn to pass and defend. 
  • doughty is fast but no end product yet. Sell him and get a fast youngster from the premier league in and we won’t be in a poor position
  • BalladMan said:
    thenewbie said:
    Makes sense if the Chelsea lad is lined up. Same position but due to his age and it being a loan means a bit more money to be spent elsewhere.
    Thing is Koiki was a long term replacement, whereas the Chelsea
    loan is just that, a loan, and we all know about Chelsea and their
    loan "deals", could be a very short season loan indeed, if it comes
    off :)
    But this time we will actually pay (some of) the wages and have players with an age > than the loanee playing around them.  We can't be that shit at Christmas again. 
    I hear what you are saying, and hopefully this Christmas, Santa
    actually leaves us something rather than take it away.
    Maybe the words Chelsea and loan deal don't seem to sit well
    with me and makes me very wary that's about it really.
  • Where's these new lads then?

It's nearly 5 o'clock, ..... if they're going to sign, they would have done so by this time.

Perhaps no one can find Scarfy?

I'd understand if that was the problem.

• Patience.. just leaving us on the edge of our seats
    still got another 11 minutes to go ;)
  • I wonder with Doughty if it doesnt help that he's "admitted" that its best he doesnt say which Football team he supports

I'd be surprised if that doesnt limit him to Millwall | Palace or West Ham at a stretch

If you played for one of those two and had a chance to play at a higher level than them, would you take it?
    He's a Millwall fan, basically the only ITK Charlton fact I have. Mate met his dad and confirmed this.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Where's these new lads then?

It's nearly 5 o'clock, ..... if they're going to sign, they would have done so by this time.

Just waiting for the signature of our fifty goal a season new striker Ronalmaradonapeledhino Kermobent.

(guessing, not itk)
  • thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Where's these new lads then?

Just waiting for the signature of our fifty goal a season new striker Ronalmaradonapeledhino Kermobent.

(guessing, not itk)
    Ah, right ....... that explains the delay. 

Ran out of enough letters for the name on the back of Ronalmaradonapeledhino Kermobent's shirt.
  • Would be great if we went looking for a Steady Eddie and got Mad Frankie

• Sponsored links:

• Would be great if we went looking for a Steady Eddie and got Mad Frankie

More likely to get a Billy No Mates.
  • Alfie is an interesting test case for Sandgaard.

He has already mentioned no longer selling young players to pay the wage bills.

It's possible that Grant will be sold soon so we get a sell on, Bonne has gone to so there has been some money coming in.

As a club we'll still be heavily relying on Thomas's dollars to pay the bills but we don't "need" to sell him.

So does TS hold firm, unless we get a very big offer, but then face the criticism from SOME fans that "nothing has changed we always sell our best players cheap" or does he keep Alfie the Spanner and risk losing him for just a development fee next summer.

He might persuade Alfie to sign a new deal or even sell him in January but that is a big maybe.  

Decisions, decisions.
  • 2 years with the option of a 3rd
  • Would expect the Chelsea lad to follow suit soon
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    look happy about it doesn't he
    Been told that due to hotels being shut that he can have his cell back in Belmarsh.
  • edited October 2020
    A CB! Get in. Prem club kept him around so must have something about him. Nigels rate him. Looks terrifying. I think we might like this bloke. 
  • edited October 2020
    We will not get to the PL in 10 years by continually selling our better players and replacing them with loanees and Palace cast offs

Our record of success with ex Palace players is dismal...

Butterfield, Borrowdale, Sorondo, McKenzie, Soares, Kaikai, Marcus Bent, Hudson, Jonny Williams, Dowie have all failed to live up to expectations.  Watson too early to tell. David Whyte and Chris Powell, Hreiderson and Rhoys Wiggins the only exceptions... Pardew best forgotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    We will not get to the PL in 10 years by continually selling our better players and replacing them with loanees and Palace cast offs

Our record of success with ex Palace players is dismal...

Butterfield, Borrowdale, Sorondo, McKenzie, Soares, Kaikai, Marcus Bent, Hudson, Jonny Williams, Dowie have all failed to live up to expectations.  Watson too early to tell. David Whyte and Chris Powell, Hreiderson and Rhoys Wiggins the only exceptions... Pardew best forgotten.

You're being a bit harsh on Mark Bright.  And the immediate focus (for me) is getting to the Championship.  I'll worry about getting to the Prem at that point

• BalladMan said:
    thenewbie said:
    Makes sense if the Chelsea lad is lined up. Same position but due to his age and it being a loan means a bit more money to be spent elsewhere.
    Thing is Koiki was a long term replacement, whereas the Chelsea
    loan is just that, a loan, and we all know about Chelsea and their
    loan "deals", could be a very short season loan indeed, if it comes
    off :)
    But this time we will actually pay (some of) the wages and have players with an age > than the loanee playing around them.  We can't be that shit at Christmas again. 
    I hear what you are saying, and hopefully this Christmas, Santa
    actually leaves us something rather than take it away.
    Maybe the words Chelsea and loan deal don't seem to sit well
    with me and makes me very wary that's about it really.
    But even Bowyer himself pointed the finger at the embargo, the shit show that was ESI and the fact we were not paying Gallaghers wages as the reason.  It has been widely reported that Gallagher did not want to go and was upset, but what you gonna do when we were such a mess on and off the field.  We have been reset by Sandgaard and unless something calamitous occurs, the scenario won't repeat itself this festive season. 
  • Good signing. Do some people not realise we’re under a (ridiculous) salary cap? Looking forward to cheering him and our other new signings on from my armchair on Saturday.
  • Well I'm happy to give him a chance. 
    Welcome mate.
    Now prove all your critics wrong and make yourself a Charlton legend.