Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    @Cafc43v3r
    Rather uninspiring options, but options: 

GK
    Amos
    Maynard Brewer

Defence

Gunter | Inniss | Pearce | Maatsen
    Oshilaja | Barker | Famewo | Purrington

Midfield

Levitt | Watson | Gilbey
    Morgan | Pratley | Vennings

Attack

Oztumer | Aneke | Williams
    Washington | Bogle | Maddison

Missing the wage cap deadline has stuffed us a bit. I think this’ll be a season of lower top ten. Then go for it next season. 
  • I don't know how much of the wage cap we left after Innis, but I'd rather we spunked it (hopefully around £5-10k per week) on one proven striker now, Eisa or Marquis for example. Can't remember the last time a side got out of league one without a goalscorer
  • I wonder with Doughty if it doesnt help that he's "admitted" that its best he doesnt say which Football team he supports

I'd be surprised if that doesnt limit him to Millwall | Palace or West Ham at a stretch

If you played for one of those two and had a chance to play at a higher level than them, would you take it?
  • I always get the shivers when we're linked with a Palace player these days
    Bobby Goldthorpe.
  • I always get the shivers when we're linked with a Palace player these days
    Bobby Goldthorpe.
    A player who scored a vital goal in a promotion clinching game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Cafc43v3r

GK
    Amos
    Maynard Brewer

Defence

Midfield

Levitt | Watson | Gilbey

Attack

That team screams 9th place 
    I think we might be in trouble with the authorities if we tried to field them all at the same time 😉
  • Dizzle said:
    dickplumb said:
    It looks like Luton have made an improved bid for Doughty.
    Eurgh. Luton. 
    Exactly.
    Maybe they should focus on re-inventing themselves as a football club that isn't shit.
    Then come back with an improved ground. In an improved town. In an improved location.
    I'm still not over Walsh and Elliott.
  • J BLOCK said:

That team screams 9th place 
    Really? We played Sunderland - who could easily be champions - last week and got a relatively comfortable draw, since when we have added players and more to come back from injury. There is always a danger of severely over-rating the quality of the league, there are really very few outstanding teams in this division.

I think that says a lot about how average Sunderland are at the moment. I think we definitely would have had a tougher job if we had played Ipswich last Saturday
  • Dazzler21 said:
    @Cafc43v3r

GK
    Amos
    Maynard Brewer

Defence

Midfield

Levitt | Watson | Gilbey

Attack

Plus JFC and Lapslie in midfield, and Davison up front if he isn't loaned out
  • Richard J said:
    I always get the shivers when we're linked with a Palace player these days
    Bobby Goldthorpe.
    A player who scored a vital goal in a promotion clinching game. 
    True. If it actually crossed the line! But not the best centre half we've had. Even in the Third Division.

• With Doughty there is the question of whether he's good enough as a player in his own right to merit a system being built around him or whether we could potentially have a better team without necessarily having the best individual players.

He's got pace and directness but if we make him the teams key man and he gets injured or suspended we'd be screwed. On the other hand you theoretically can swap JW for Maddison or vice versa, or Bogle for Aneke etc. If the Smyth signing comes off, he's the cover/alternative to Washington etc. We could still use the same system with different players.

Doughty is out for whatever reason there's no-one to directly replace him as you can't teach someone to be a fast runner.
  • edited October 2020
    Stripey Nigels seem to really rate Inniss. Some calling out Hodgson for never giving him game time.  
  • Chunes said:
    Stripey Nigels seem to really rate Inniss. Some calling out Hodgson for never giving him game time.  
    I can't imagine many are moaning about their defence. It's their defensiveness organisation under Hodgson which has (sadly) kept them up for several seasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Could be a double bluff,  really they want him gone, and the
    thought of him coming to us might be the the aim, hopefully not :/
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Scoham said:
    RedRobin said:
    Redhenry said:
    Doughty off though
    I’m not overly fussed if I’m honest, I’d prefer to keep him though but if he’s refusing to sign a new deal then so be it....
    I am, we’d need to replace him with a winger with the potential to score 10+ this season, which Doughty has.
    As I said I’d prefer to keep him but if we’re being offered decent money then take it if he won’t sign a new deal. Agreed, we’d need to sign another winger on top of the winger we already need. 
    How many wingers did we use when we won the play offs? 
    None because we had mobile strikers who could drift wide and cause full backs problems, so a different formation suited us.

Bowyer’s moved to a 4-3-3 formation and building the squad with that in mind. You’d think he wouldn’t have to completely change his plans just by one player leaving.
    He changed to 433 because he had Doughty, people put that and the signing of Maddison together and came up with 433 as the preferred formation.

LB has talked about "different systems" back normally about 3 or 4 at the back.

Changing to 433, as the default, would have needed major surgery.  Where would you put Williams, Oztumer, Aneke etc in a 433?
    Yeah he has talked about different systems, but he’s likely to have one as his main system. I wouldn’t assume he’s set on that being a diamond, that worked well when we had the right strikers for it. At the moment we probably don’t have that.

Williams and Oztumer can’t stay in the team, while Aneke can’t stay fit. We won’t be building a system around any of them.

When they do play it wouldn’t be surprising to see Williams our wide or in the midfield 3, Oztumer on the right of the front 3 or Aneke as the central striker. They’ve all played in positions other than a “number 10” during their careers.
    They have also all been pretty poor to average as anything else other than a "number 10".  Bowyer has said before that Aneke isn't a 9.

Like I said we will see. 
    Oztumer and Aneke have been generally poor full stop. He did say that about Aneke but played him there v Sunderland as he has done in other games, he’s not completely against using him up front.

We will, and if we move back to a diamond it’ll surely be Maddison who plays the 10 role ahead of those 3.

As always how we line up will come down to injuries, suspensions, opposition and what actually gets results. I just think we’re less likely to play a diamond than we did in 18/19. Not saying Bowyer will only play 4-3-3, he’s never only used one formation. 
  • Makes sense if the Chelsea lad is lined up. Same position but due to his age and it being a loan means a bit more money to be spent elsewhere.
  • Dizzle said:
    dickplumb said:
    It looks like Luton have made an improved bid for Doughty.
    Eurgh. Luton. 
    Exactly.
    Maybe they should focus on re-inventing themselves as a football club that isn't shit.
    Then come back with an improved ground. In an improved town. In an improved location.
    I'm still not over Walsh and Elliott.

That was selling our future.
    They were the two most talented teenagers I had seen for Cafc until Joe Gomez came along.

• I wonder with Doughty if it doesnt help that he's "admitted" that its best he doesnt say which Football team he supports

I'd be surprised if that doesnt limit him to Millwall | Palace or West Ham at a stretch

If you played for one of those two and had a chance to play at a higher level than them, would you take it?
    Believe Doughty is a Millwall fan
  • edited October 2020
    Chunes said:
    Probably not eh

Chunes said:
    I can't imagine many are moaning about their defence. It's their defensiveness organisation under Hodgson which has (sadly) kept them up for several seasons
    Not moaning about their defence, moaning a player they liked wasn't given a chance. 

I do think a portion of Nigels find Hodgson too conservative across many aspects of management, rightly or wrongly. 
  • I won’t believe Doughty’s leaving until it’s “confirmed” by Rich Cawley and/or Pete O’Rourke. Unfortunately RH’s recent track record isn’t as stellar as it once was so I’m a little less inclined to believe it.

There’s about five pages of people calling him greedy etc over one whisper that was posted up here earlier today. Imagine if nothing’s happened and he’s reading those posts LOL.
    Two pages later and still people getting angry about something that probably isn’t happening.

Let’s wait and see shall we? I’m confident no one meets our valuation and he’ll still be here at the end of the window.
  • thenewbie said:
    Makes sense if the Chelsea lad is lined up. Same position but due to his age and it being a loan means a bit more money to be spent elsewhere.
    Thing is Koiki was a long term replacement, whereas the Chelsea
    loan is just that, a loan, and we all know about Chelsea and their
    loan "deals", could be a very short season loan indeed, if it comes
    off :)
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Probably not eh

Chunes said:
    Not moaning about their defence, moaning a player they liked wasn't given a chance. 

I do think a portion of Nigels find Hodgson too conservative across many aspects of management, rightly or wrongly. 

• thenewbie said:
    Makes sense if the Chelsea lad is lined up. Same position but due to his age and it being a loan means a bit more money to be spent elsewhere.
    Thing is Koiki was a long term replacement, whereas the Chelsea
    loan is just that, a loan, and we all know about Chelsea and their
    loan "deals", could be a very short season loan indeed, if it comes
    off :)
    But this time we will actually pay (some of) the wages and have players with an age > than the loanee playing around them.  We can't be that shit at Christmas again.