Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    Do we know if the salary cap is 100% here to stay? 
    In principal, yes.

This year 22 senior players per squad (not counting U21s).

Next season 21 senior players.

Season after. 20 senior players.

It's here to stay - unless a majority of League One clubs vote it out at the EFL AGM each summer.

• mendonca said:
    Here we go, in terms of picking up numerous injuries already. Gilbey, Pearce, Oshilaja out and all 3 are first team players for us. 2 injured mid/long term from training.
    It does beg the question: why so many players are injured in training?

I know the intention is that 'match situations and intensity' is replicated in training ....... but it does seem most of our players get their injuries in training rather than matches?

• if if I was TS and had the will and funds, I would be splashing a bit of cash on 19 to 20 year olds from Prem/Championship academies, who are not quite making the cut there. Avoid the cap issue, basically. Am sure they must be thinking of this...
    Or perhaps any outstanding League 1/2 players of that age who have broken through.
  • MattF said:
    A CB just become number one priority I suspect 

Looks like my £20 is safe then.  
  • With the Wage Cap vote, I wonder how the actual 'For' and 'Against' vote counted?

You can imagine ourselves, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peterboro and similar voting against - but anyone know what the actual count was?

• I'd offload Phillips for next to nothing to be honest, just taking up wages now 
  • I'd offload Phillips for next to nothing to be honest, just taking up wages now 
    I agree. With TS taking over, Bonne sold and the salary cap, you have to say we shouldn't be desperate for the money anyway. The extra 2k ish a week could be huge and should enable us to get one more decent player in, probably the CB. 
  • Friday will be a very busy day I think 
    Why, are you going away for the weekend? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Lee always looks and sounds so positive these days, and fully
    expects a good and productive week, convinced something
    will be coming in soon ;)
  • I still believe Bowyer's looking for 3 loans and 1 permanent, the CB.

Thing is they seem to be having a problem getting anyone to
    show some interest, sure Lee would like him gone for the
    reasons you are giving, wages
  • Redrobo said:
    January will be a quiet window for us. ☹️

I see the Jan window as potentially being better personally.

it's hard this window in tempting away the best of league one, top players from clubs with similar aims won't see a move with the wage cap as worthwhile financially or for family reasons, but say for example we're sat in 4th with a good gap below and a few points from above, then the best of those "also ran" clubs (Donny, the dons etc) might see our position and think they've got a much much better chance of getting to the champ.

We're 4th, Pompey are 8th cheeky bid for a player we might fancy etc.
  • edited October 2020
    I'd offload Phillips for next to nothing to be honest, just taking up wages now 
    That's probably the way to go but somebody has got to want him and he's got to be prepared to take whatever wages that the somebody is offering him. Otherwise, we're stuck with him (which might come in handy if Amos gets injured). 
  • edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    An intresting scenario would be a swap loan deal involving Phillips. 

We loan him to a championship team but pay 100% of his wages.  They loan us a center half and pay 100% of their wages.  Maybe even pay a loan fee. 

We could then, potentially, have a player we need on 10k a week.  Yes we would loose any potential transfer fee but it would give us much more head room on wages.  We couldn't sell Philips and buy a center half of that quality could we? 
    I think that's a really good shout to be honest. I think the problem with Phillips is who is going to want him. Begovic didn't leave Bournemouth so doubt they'll be interested. 

I'd even go further and let the team have Phillips on a free, doesn't make any difference to us if he's going to go for free next summer anyway, on the condition they loan us a player or two on the cheap. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

We loan him to a championship team but pay 100% of his wages.  They loan us a center half and pay 100% of their wages.  Maybe even pay a loan fee. 

We could then, potentially, have a player we need on 10k a week.  Yes we would loose any potential transfer fee but it would give us much more head room on wages.  We couldn't sell Philips and buy a center half of that quality could we? 
    I think that's a really good shout to be honest. I think the problem with Phillips is who is going to want him. Begovic didn't leave Bournemouth so doubt they'll be interested. 

I'd even go further and let the team have Phillips on a free, doesn't make any difference to us if he's going to go for free next summer anyway, on the condition they loan us a player or two on the cheap. 
    With Butland to Liverpool being discussed. Would Stoke be interested in Dillon to compete with Adam Davies? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

All that time Charlton have spent training him etc over the years... you should want a return after putting the time and effort into him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We've got plenty of Welsh players but maybe we should look at a pal or two for Washington from the NI squad? Jordan Jones and Stuart Dallas are useful and not sure they are getting much club football.  The old salary cap would probably scupper us again, though. 
    I watch all the NI games and surprised Championship clubs missed Jones, same with Gavin Whyte at first but he's now at Cardiff via Oxford - scored a cracker at The Valley for the U's.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

And haven't we read that while Phillips wants to play Championship football, he's not content to be a back up?

If he's that desperate to play number 1, he should've first sorted his situation here.

• Redrobo said:
    January will be a quiet window for us. ☹️

I see the Jan window as potentially being better personally.

it's hard this window in tempting away the best of league one, top players from clubs with similar aims won't see a move with the wage cap as worthwhile financially or for family reasons, but say for example we're sat in 4th with a good gap below and a few points from above, then the best of those "also ran" clubs (Donny, the dons etc) might see our position and think they've got a much much better chance of getting to the champ.

We're 4th, Pompey are 8th cheeky bid for a player we might fancy etc.
    We are nearly at the CAP now. A CH will probably mop up that last bit.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

All that time Charlton have spent training him etc over the years... you should want a return after putting the time and effort into him. 
    Of course I don't disagree. But we now find ourself in a position where Phillips could be sat in our reserves all season and then leave for free next summer, or possibly for a very small fee in January (which would cost us in unnecessary wages until then anyway). Or we could give Phillips to a club on a free on the condition they loan us say 2 players who are on a combined 15k. It's a way round the wage cap and although appears we got nothing for Phillips, that's not quite true. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Problem is Philips is an existing deal so his wages are calculated at the average of £2k PW even though they are probably higher.  Same with Pearce, Williams, etc.

If you bring a "new" player in on loan or permanant then their full £10k or whatever is used when calculating the salary cap.

BTW the cap isn't ageist either.  You can pay anyone of any age as much as you like.  You just have to stay under £2.5m overall.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Problem is Philips is an existing deal so his wages are calculated at the average of £2k PW even though they are probably higher.  Same with Pearce, Williams, etc.

If you bring a "new" player in on loan or permanant then their full £10k or whatever is used when calculating the salary cap.

BTW the cap isn't ageist either.  You can pay anyone of any age as much as you like.  You just have to stay under £2.5m overall.
    Is that definitely true, I thought it was only what we paid? So if we got a player on loan from say Stoke who is on 10k a week but they pay his wages he counts as 10k for our cap? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Is that definitely true, I thought it was only what we paid? So if we got a player on loan from say Stoke who is on 10k a week but they pay his wages he counts as 10k for our cap? 
    I don't believe so ..... only the amount we actually contribute to his wages plus other agreed expenditure. In in addition, that could also include paying for his accomodation costs, certain travel expenses, plus any ancillary costs that the cap specifies.

• Cafc43v3r said:

Of course I don't disagree. But we now find ourself in a position where Phillips could be sat in our reserves all season and then leave for free next summer, or possibly for a very small fee in January (which would cost us in unnecessary wages until then anyway). Or we could give Phillips to a club on a free on the condition they loan us say 2 players who are on a combined 15k. It's a way round the wage cap and although appears we got nothing for Phillips, that's not quite true. 
    Fully agree he needs to go especially if he wont play. Just feel we should command a fee if we can even if its cut price.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't believe so ..... only the amount we actually contribute to his wages plus other agreed expenditure. In in addition, that could also include paying for his accomodation costs, certain travel expenses, plus any ancillary costs that the cap specifies.

So swap would be financially neutral.

Finding a match would not be easy though.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

That’s not true is it? 

You could pay an U21 player 50k a week but you can’t pay a 22 year old that.