Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:
    I reckon it's a re-hash of old news. QPR has brought in new signings and Smyth is available.
    Local journalists need a story and remembered there was interest from Charlton in last January's window.

Bowyer, after Bogle was signed, said he's looking for a nippy striker on loan.
    My take is Bowyer is looking to bring in a young quality prospect from a Prem club, hungry to make his mark.

And he ideally needs to be under 21 or his parent club willing to pay his wage.

QPR might give us the nod as a thank you for Bonne, neve know ;)
  • The Paul Smyth rumour has to be a non starter.
    How do you only score 1 goal in 19 at Wycombe when they get promoted if you are a striker ?

Bless Josh Parker for his work rate but I never want to see a non scoring forward/striker at Cafc in the tenure of TS.

A winger with 18 assists would be acceptable, but number 9's and a strike partner have to score goals. 
    He's more of a winger who can play up front.
    Yes, tbf I've only seen him play on the wing & he's not impressed me.
  • Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:
    I reckon it's a re-hash of old news. QPR has brought in new signings and Smyth is available.
    Local journalists need a story and remembered there was interest from Charlton in last January's window.

Bowyer, after Bogle was signed, said he's looking for a nippy striker on loan.
    My take is Bowyer is looking to bring in a young quality prospect from a Prem club, hungry to make his mark.

And he ideally needs to be under 21 or his parent club willing to pay his wage.

QPR might give us the nod as a thank you for Bonne, neve know ;)
    That would be creative. They pay all his wages in lieu of the sell-on clause. 

Last resort, I suppose. Doing a 'Josh Parker' ......... some kind of insurance policy to bring someone, anyone in, at the last minute to bulk up the squad over Christmas? :smile:

• edited October 2020
    Wiki says:

On 1 January 2018, Smyth made his QPR, EFL Championship and professional debut against Cardiff City, scoring the winning goal in the 72nd minute.

He would go onto win the Supporters Young Player of the Year, after an impressive first few months in the first team.

Scored on his debut for Norn Iron as an 82nd minute substitute - and scored the winning goal in a 2–1 victory three minutes later.
    No wonder. It was against South Korea and at 5' 4", he towered above their defence.

Hopelessly fails the CL height test. But could easily qualify as one of Bowyer's midfield midgets.

Useful habit of scoring on his debut. 

• So we'd just need to find a way of making it his debut each time he plays....
  • edited October 2020
    Is he really 5' 4"? I know it says so on Wikipedia but Transfer Markt has him down as 1.75m (c5' 9"). One of them is incorrect. Or both :)
  • That’s better, back on the right thread!

Just read a post saying we didn’t need De Bruyne, and realised I was on the England thread!

Now where did I leave my pills.....
  • Is he really 5' 4"? I know it says so on Wikipedia but Transfer Markt has him down as 1.75m (c5' 9"). One of them is incorrect. Or both :)

Whatever, he ain't very tall. But he's quick, determined and positive with his decision making.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzGWQdJbJPA&ab_channel=QPRKID

Scored a very tidy goal on his Norn Iron debut:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EEliyoasx4&ab_channel=GForce

Could be a dynamic impact sub against tiring defenders.
    Might have just lost his way a bit, maybe Bowyer gets him back on track.

Or it's just a rumour without substance and nothing to see here?

• Look who it is assisting his NI goal... 
  • WHAddick said:
    So we'd just need to find a way of making it his debut each time he plays....
    Easy peasy. He scores on his debut, we send him back. Next day, sign him on loan again. He debuts in his second stint, scores... Send him back, next day sign him.... Etc etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Decent goals, which I hadn't seen tbf.
  • QPR pal rates him, he doesn't understand why Warburton doesn't.
  • The Paul Smyth rumour has to be a non starter.
    How do you only score 1 goal in 19 at Wycombe when they get promoted if you are a striker ?

Bless Josh Parker for his work rate but I never want to see a non scoring forward/striker at Cafc in the tenure of TS.

A winger with 18 assists would be acceptable, but number 9's and a strike partner have to score goals. 
    He's more of a winger who can play up front.
    He's a bit like a smaller Alfie Doughty .......... direct pacy no frills winger, that runs hard with the ball, can go outside or cut inside and get a shot away.

I've watched a few videos but not seen him cross or even pass the ball - but very direct, single minded and wants to score.

• We'll he is really quick and looks to have good control. Worth a punt imo but priority has to be a CB.
  • CHG said:
    QPR pal rates him, he doesn't understand why Warburton doesn't.
    Perhaps he plays for himself and  doesn't contribute much off the ball?

• If he’s going to play up front I don’t mind it at all. Would compliment Aneke/Bogle really well and looks to have the pace to get on the end of flick ons.
  • Oggy Red said:
    CHG said:

Well, from the goal clips, he does seem single minded
    and just goes for goal, so maybe a bit selfish, but you
    can't argue with the end product :)
  • League One 2020,  what you need is a team of Munchkins right?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    The Wycombe reaction to this news is encouraging...

• CHG said:
    Because warburton sees him in training everyday and your mate doesn’t?
    Quite right
  • I'd take Smyth, gives us a different option up top
  • Oggy Red said:
    CHG said:

Well, from the goal clips, he does seem single minded
    and just goes for goal, so maybe a bit selfish, but you
    can't argue with the end product :)
    Maybe .... but that's 2 goals for QPR in 18 appearances over 2 and a half years, and one of those was on his debut.
    He's 23 now.

If you listen to Bowyer talking about his frustration with Albie Morgan; his lack of movement once he's passed the ball plus his failure to track back and cover, chipping in with his share of off ball 'grunt' work for the team effort - I get the impression, that Smyth falls into that category also.

Maybe the QPR manager Warburton wants his players to be team players - and do the off ball stuff and keep the shape.
    It's a team game after all.

• Looking at those clips he definitely taller than 5ft 4......unless QPR's players are all midgets as well. 

He's an international  ✅
    He's left footed ✅
    He's quick✅
    He's available ✅

What's not to like.
    He's played with Conor Washington already - as a team mate at QPR and for Norn Iron squads.

They'll be able to understand what they say to each other - even if nobody else does. :smile:

• I'm not entirely sure what role Paul Smyth would play

He's not a striker, as he's not prolific. Is he creative as last season he had 1 goal and 2 assists for Wycombe in 19 appearances, which is fairly underwhelming for a team that got promoted
  • I'd take Smyth, gives us a different option up top
    And he does have pace and ability to drive with the ball.

• edited October 2020

It sounds like he would get a worse reception than Bogle. What is the point of putting a player down before (if he ever) joins us. Surely, we should have enough faith in SG and LB to see what they see in these players