Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• MattF said:
    Interesting that rumours are flying about for Doughty and Bonne, but nothing for Phillips. 

Have I missed the updates with him, or has there been nothing mentioned in past week? 
    Thanks. 
  • Just trying to think who is the best striker we can get in for an average wage of £2k a week that is better than Bonne. Tough choice.
  • Redrobo said:
    Just trying to think who is the best striker we can get in for an average wage of £2k a week that is better than Bonne. Tough choice.
    I think if we offload Bonne it'll be Schwartz and a young loan signing that comes in

Way Bowyer spoke the other day it sounds like we've got a target but the parent club wants assurances over game time

If we dont offload Bonne then itsw just Schwartz who joins
  • Redrobo said:
    Just trying to think who is the best striker we can get in for an average wage of £2k a week that is better than Bonne. Tough choice.
    I think if we offload Bonne it'll be Schwartz and a young loan signing that comes in

Way Bowyer spoke the other day it sounds like we've got a target but the parent club wants assurances over game time

In that case is there much sense in taking on another clubs young raw striker and improving him whilst letting ours go for less than he might potentially be worth in a years time?
  • Not sure what happens with Phillips if no one comes in for him, puts Bowyer in a difficult position imo
    I'm starting to think it's a real possibility. Will Phillips not generating interest persuade him to sign on for an additional year after his contract? Shows Bowyer some level of commitment and also saves face as the leader.
  • se9addick said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    se9addick said:
    Why are people excited for Ronnie Schwartz? Had anyone heard of him until a couple of weeks ago? 
    Top scorer of a league that is comparable, if not slightly better than, the league we currently play in and he's leaving a team who are playing in the Champions League... I'd say its a coup. Not seen him play myself, and he could turn out to be shite, but on paper it looks a good signing. 
    Sounds good!
    Mainly on the bench for Sarpsborg in Norwegian top league 2018. Forced a move away in the middle of his two year contract. Really found his feet at second level Danish club Silkeborg. Promoted to the top flight in 2019 and scored 12 more goals at Silkeborg last year. Got his big move January 2020 til Midtjylland, who at that point in theory already was League Champions. Second half of the season he scored 6 goals, including 2 pens. Now left out from their first game in August and hasnt played a minute. Schwartz is certainly able to score goals at English League One level. But he isnt a Champions League striker. And he didnt fire Midtjylland to their Championship. Dont be disappointed if we miss out or look elsewhere! His current contract makes this a huge gamble, in my opinion.
    Cheers - good to get insight from someone that’s familiar with him/seen him play. 
  • I can see Phillips biting the bullet and signing a new contract, because
    no one really wants him, plus both him and his tosser agent think he
    is a lot better than he is, thing is does Bowyer do "second choice" ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• No issues with selling Bonne if we get the right fee which I would say is 2.5 mill + sell ons etc. Losing Doughty will be a massive blow though, he has real potential and Celtic would he robbing us 

It would be a poor start to Thomas Sandgaard's tenure if Alfie Doughty goes to Celtic when we need him to help us finish in the top 6 which is the minimum requirement according to TS.

I have supported Bonne since I saw him make his debut against Forest Green. I predicted he could score goals in Champ and 1 goal in 3 backs it up. 
    Might be best if he goes to a club where he is appreciated and his agent can make some more dough. (Their kids all go to the top private schools)

We must bring in strikers who can score at least 18 over a season in the mediocre League one. 

I don't expect us to make it back to the Championship in one season for a myriad of reasons. The cap is just one of them. 

Not sure having players who can only play 60 minutes in this division are any good to Cafc.  
  • Not sure what happens with Phillips if no one comes in for him, puts Bowyer in a difficult position imo
    He either signs a contract and fights for the number 1 spot, or he rots in the u23’s for a year and be forgotten about. 

I like Dillon but he’s not a 25 goal as season striker, he’s a pretty good goal keeper in the Championship. Nobody is going to break their backs trying to sign him.  
    Can’t he fight for the number one spot without signing a contract? Plenty of other players are out of contract in the summer, should they rot too?
  • Belv said:
    Is a sell-on really much use in the case of Bonne? How much do we really think QPR will go on to sell him for? He's not suddenly going to turn into a £15m striker. I'd guess he'll end up leaving QPR for a lot less than they pay for him.
    Plenty of players develop at different speeds.  I thought Simon Francis was an absolutely awful footballer for us but at one point Bournemouth could have sold him for a few Million I am sure.  Would be crazy to not request a sell on for a 25 year old striker whom has just scored 11 Championship goals and we are unlikely to get more than £2M for.  If he goes to QPR and nets 15 this season he will be worth a lot more than that and their model has changed to buy low, sell high so they would shift him onwards.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We would be stupid to sell Bonne BEFORE there is at least 1 other striker "in the building" and another "in and around the place". 
    Agreed there mate, Bonne leaving will only happen with another signed.
    Puts Phillips in a even worse one tbh. Full season at his age with zero games cant be good. Just sign and add a leaving clause for next summer if we don't go up. Thankfully we are now in a position where we don't desperately need the cash. 
  • Redrobo said:

I wonder if we need this young forward. 

If it's replace Bonne with Schwartz and a young unknown striker, I kind of understand, but would prefer that be Davison getting a proper go. 

If it's replace Bonne with a young striker that'd be stupid IMO. 
  • Do hope we can find a way to keep Phillips and get him back in starting 11. Not sure how we can get around the wage issue. Bonus would be able to get AMB a loan move, as I think he will be a class keeper in 2/3 years. 
  • Redrobo said:

I agree, but I prefer Bonne to some kid from another club who is just here to develop and if he is any good will be whisked back to his club and re loaned out to a Championship club in January.
    We need to stabilise as we cannot continue with this high turnover of players. Young players improving with us will be the way forward.
    We have signed experienced players to try and get us out of this league which is good, but we need to keep the younger players as well.
    I do have faith in Steve and Bows, and if we do sell I will know it is because they see the whole picture and are just moving bits of the puzzle pieces about.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Not sure what happens with Phillips if no one comes in for him, puts Bowyer in a difficult position imo
    He either signs a contract and fights for the number 1 spot, or he rots in the u23’s for a year and be forgotten about. 

I like Dillon but he’s not a 25 goal as season striker, he’s a pretty good goal keeper in the Championship. Nobody is going to break their backs trying to sign him.  
    Can’t he fight for the number one spot without signing a contract? Plenty of other players are out of contract in the summer, should they rot too?
    Are they refusing to sign new deals because they think they’re better than what we are? If Dillon has his heart set on leaving then we shouldn’t let him anywhere near the first team, it might be good in the short term but we need to be thinking long term. 

Amos is fine at this level. We don’t need Phillips, but he might need us. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

If it's replace Bonne with Schwartz and a young unknown striker, I kind of understand, but would prefer that be Davison getting a proper go. 

I would rather Davison go on loan and get some proper games in real mens football.  If it means someone else's kid sits on our bench so be it. 
    Rather use someone else’s forward as a potential bit part player than one of our own youngsters.  Davidson going on loan to conference prem be ideal, league two next season.
  • Do hope we can find a way to keep Phillips and get him back in starting 11. Not sure how we can get around the wage issue. Bonus would be able to get AMB a loan move, as I think he will be a class keeper in 2/3 years. 
    If he signs an extension on his present terms it will not be an issue until next season.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

I would rather Davison go on loan and get some proper games in real mens football.  If it means someone else's kid sits on our bench so be it. 
    Yeah I'm fully in agreement with this... Would much rather have some kid on the bench so Davison in turn is getting game time somewhere else

Be disappointed if he goes lower than League Two
  • I agree with @ValleyGary, loan him to QPR, wages of the book.
    If he scores another 10 goals he will be worth £5m bare minimum in the inflated world of football. 
  • edited October 2020
    MattF said:
    Celtic are still sniffing around but keep being met with a straight bat.  Zero's need adding to the offer before we even blink.  I also think Doughty could learn a LOT from MArcus Maddison about his delivery - that could work really really well.

Not convinced Matthews is coming as he would probably be here by now.  I suspect he is playing "Contract Poker" awaiting a Championship offer.  Risky game.

I suspect Schwarz isn't coming either.  Salary cap might put a kybosh on that.

No need to announce anyone today and won't really matter.  The likelihood of them playing toomorrow is very slim and then we have a fortnight before the next game don't we?  No need to panic - it is safe to say we are heading in the right direction.

As for the Tax Bill comment - I don't suppose it will come as a massive surprise for people to know the pot was pretty much empty.  Wages this month would have been an issue.  It is not an exaggeration to say we are incredibly lucky that Thomas Sandgaard came along when he did and was sufficiently stubborn to see this all though.
  • Been critical of Bonne, he is a work in progress and 11 goals in the div above isn't bad, would probably look better with MM in the side now.....

However, anything that's 2M and above with add ons should be snapped up in an instant. Regardless of how rich we might be, a sensibly well run club is the aim after all the horrors, and thats a decent return on him. Plus, it means 2 bodies in for us.

We might think QPR are mental paying that, but its still a cheap punt for them, an 11 champ goal forward to come off the bench.

Good deal for both parties imo
  • With Phillips its a strange one. No i wouldn't make him rot in the reserves until his contract is up, but then what has made Bowyer not even let him make the bench as back-up?

I can understand not starting him at the moment because if he is unlikely to be here for the remainder of the season then you shouldn't start him because you need stability in your starting 11 and consistent communication between goalkeeper and defenders is vital. Defenders get into habits with goalkeepers and you don't want excuses like "Oh Phillips would have come for that which is why i didn't go for it". But Phillips could have been on the bench as cover at least.

I fully expect him to go before the window closes, but if he stays i think he should at least be in the bench. Unless something has happened behind the scenes.
  • se9addick said:
    Not sure what happens with Phillips if no one comes in for him, puts Bowyer in a difficult position imo

Are they refusing to sign new deals because they think they’re better than what we are? If Dillon has his heart set on leaving then we shouldn’t let him anywhere near the first team, it might be good in the short term but we need to be thinking long term. 

Amos is fine at this level. We don’t need Phillips, but he might need us. 
    Disagree with pretty much all of that.

We slated Taylor for not honouring his contract but won’t give Phillips a chance to honour his, odd perspective. If they are under contract and willing to play then pick your best players, Phillips is by far our best goalkeeper.

Now if Phillips has said he doesn’t want to play, that’s a different story, but I don’t think anyone’s suggesting that?