Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• From my Reading supporting mate:

'Awful! Never rated him.

Will never stop a cross coming in and will just pretend to look busy' 

Stands by the photocopier with paper in his hand. I worked with a guy who photocopied a book and sat at his desk reading the paper, making him look busy. Clever
  • edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    Matthews had an excellent season but he didn't create/assist a single goal. That's how you analyse a player's attacking ability and not just intent.
    Blimmin' stats again.

Straight off the top of my head, home to Wigan, 93rd minute losing 1-2.
    Matthews charges down the wing and slings over a well weighted cross, Aneke knocks it down, Bonno moves on to it and strokes it home.

Stats say: assist Aneke. But Matthews was key, without his run and cross the goal would never have happened.

They'll be other instances like that also. Stat's, eh? They never tell the full story.

Stats say on Transfermarkt,:
    Matthews got 1 assist. He played 29 games in all competitions last season. 
    Gunter got 2 assists in all comps. He played 24 games in all comps last season. (Includes 3 PL2 games)

I'd personally prefer Matthews, but if he's not willing to commit then Gunter will do a good job at right back in L1.  

To be honest I will always want players that WANT to wear the hallowed red and white kit over want-aways. 

'Awful! Never rated him.

So awful they kept him for 8 years and played him 300 times under about 7 different managers.
    And used him in 21 competitive matches last season. 

• Matthews was one of our best players last season.  Gunter is good , but maybe past his best . Either way, they would both be decent in League One  .
  • There must be a reason Bows is bigging him up over Matthews. Likely to have been non commital you can only presume.
  • Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    Matthews had an excellent season but he didn't create/assist a single goal. That's how you analyse a player's attacking ability and not just intent.
    Blimmin' stats again.

Straight off the top of my head, home to Wigan, 93rd minute losing 1-2.
    Matthews charges down the wing and slings over a well weighted cross, Aneke knocks it down, Bonno moves on to it and strokes it home.

Stats say: assist Aneke. But Matthews was key, without his run and cross the goal would never have happened.

They'll be other instances like that also. Stat's, eh? They never tell the full story.

Plenty of stats around to measure stuff like the above. They’re just not freely available to the masses like you and me.
  • Redrobo said:
    I’m in the Matthews over Gunter gang. I don’t see how that’s an improvement 
    But Mathews isn’t our player and wants to move to a Championship club.
    Exactly. Also he doesn’t need to be an improvement - we are a division lower now.
    I’m guessing Matthews would have signed if he wanted to, but he’s playing the waiting game for a Championship club to come calling - which is fine and I don’t blame him . But we need to sort the RB problem now and need to move on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Matthews was one of our best players last season.  Gunter is good , but maybe past his best . Either way, they would both be decent in League One  .
    BUT if Matthews doesn't want to play in League 1... 

He'll do to us what he did to Sunderland and Celtic. 

If he doesn't want to play in that League he won't re-sign for a side in that league. Simple and understandable. He will get a Championship deal, but likely a lower half of the table deal. 
  • Matthews was quality for us last season.

lets see where Lockyer ends up at the end of the season and where we end up. Luton might only be safe as the clubs who went up from L1 are woeful 
  • esseffect said:
    Matthews was quality for us last season.

lets see where Lockyer ends up at the end of the season and where we end up. Luton might only be safe as the clubs who went up from L1 are woeful 
    Luton will be fine this year, they’ve carried on the momentum from last year and will finish around 15th
  • I’m in the Matthews over Gunter gang. I don’t see how that’s an improvement 
    But if Matthews is trying to get a championship club to sign him then there's no point waiting to the last minute, we need players in now & if nobody signs Matthews then tough shit. Obviously he thinks he can do better than us so jog on.  
  • Would take Matthews over Gunter, although I don't think there's much difference in their ability. Depends whose cheaper so we can use the money elsewhere due to the salary cap
  • MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    Just annoying as Luton fans won't stop piping up about Lockyer, now they'll pipe up about us not re-signing Matthews to replace him
    Why in Gods name would you care what bloody Luton Town fans think?
    Why in Gods name would you care what I think about what bloody Luton Town fans think?
    Because you said it/they were “annoying” - how could someone you don’t care about annoy you?
  • se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    Just annoying as Luton fans won't stop piping up about Lockyer, now they'll pipe up about us not re-signing Matthews to replace him
    Why in Gods name would you care what I think about what bloody Luton Town fans think?
    Because you said it/they were “annoying” - how could someone you don’t care about annoy you?
    I asked you why you care about what I think, you seem to have taken exception to what I said, feel free to message me privately if that's the case

'Awful! Never rated him.

So awful they kept him for 8 years and played him 300 times under about 7 different managers.
    Didn't say I agreed with him. Just his opinion, like everyone else who has one, just thought I'd share it with the forum. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd take Matthews or Gunter tbf. No moaning from me if we get either of them.
    I say this without having much knowledge of the rest of the leagues right backs but surely either Matthews or Gunter would be up there amongst the top 2-3 RB's in league one, if not the best?
  • MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    I asked you why you care about what I think, you seem to have taken exception to what I said, feel free to message me privately if that's the case
    Nah, you’re alright mate...
  • Nice to be in a position where we could hopefully get either Matthews or Gunter signed up under the current conditions

'Awful! Never rated him.

Didn't say I agreed with him. Just his opinion, like everyone else who has one, just thought I'd share it with the forum. 
    I didn’t say you did either.
  • AndyG said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    Nah, you’re alright mate...
    Exactly, didn't think you would
    You 2 feeling lonely 😂
    Little bit