Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• he sounds like a Solly type of player but without the injury
  • thenewbie said:
    Richard J said:
    dickplumb said:
    Chris Gunter is the right back. Has been at Sparrows lane and The Valley today.
    I guessed he might be. The most capped Welsh International defender. 

Ahead of Matthews in the International reckoning. 
    Bit of a middle finger to Matthews that. You don't want to sign? Okay then, we'll just go ahead and sign the one player directly ahead of you in the national squad.

Not that I'm complaining!
    He is four years older also. 

Think I would have still preferred Adam. 
  • Quite like the experience of Pearce and Gunter in a backline together. No nonsense defenders.
  • Here's Chris Gunther's fan club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyl3kHaQmSo&ab_channel=APerson

"Oh Chris Gunter ...... Sha la la la la la la"

• If Matthews wants Championship football (fair enough) and is holding on for a move their, then we need to move on as well. If Gunter wants to sign for us and Bowyer wants/wanted him, then great news
  • edited October 2020
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Gunter over Matthews....not for me
    I understand that, last year we relied on Matthews * going forwards but it seems our League One gameplan is to have defensive full backs in Gunter and Purrington(assuming it's true). 280 Championship appearances for Gunter, can't be bad for League One level.
  • Just annoying as Luton fans won't stop piping up about Lockyer, now they'll pipe up about us not re-signing Matthews to replace him
  • That Gucci jumpers worth about £400
    To whom?
  • MattF said:
    Just annoying as Luton fans won't stop piping up about Lockyer, now they'll pipe up about us not re-signing Matthews to replace him
    Why would we replace Lockyer with Matthews?
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Just annoying as Luton fans won't stop piping up about Lockyer, now they'll pipe up about us not re-signing Matthews to replace him
    Why would we replace Lockyer with Matthews?
    This was during the one out one in transfer embargo, not an issue now for us but they'll love it
  • Vfrf said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I understand that, last year we relied on Gunter going forwards but it seems our League One gameplan is to have defensive full backs in Gunter and Purrington(assuming it's true). 280 Championship appearances for Gunter, can't be bad for League One level.
    It's a funny thing ...... I always thought Bowyer liked attacking fullbacks, getting forward on the overlap  and putting crosses in?

It was a big feature of our title winning season under Chris Powell also, with Solly and Wiggins.

• Oggy Red said:
    Vfrf said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I understand that, last year we relied on Gunter going forwards but it seems our League One gameplan is to have defensive full backs in Gunter and Purrington(assuming it's true). 280 Championship appearances for Gunter, can't be bad for League One level.
    It's a funny thing ...... I always thought Bowyer liked attacking fullbacks, getting forward on the overlap  and putting crosses in?

It was a big feature of our title winning season under Chris Powell also, with Solly and Wiggins.

It's definately been our gameplan this far, but Purrington/Gunter are not that so either his hands are tied on transfers and getting in the best he can, or the gameplan has changed this year.
  • limeygent said:
    Doubt he's match fit, so he'll fit right in.
    I doubt anyone we sign before midday tomorrow would play against Sunderland. Too short notice re playing style etc. We then have 2 weeks before our next match so all the newbies will be well up to speed by then. 

Our season starts against Wigan. 
    I disagree. He’ll feature for sure. Maybe not start but definitely off the bench. Anyway what’s this playing style you mention?
  • Matthews isn't an attacking full-back either
  • Would rather Matthews over Gunter everyday of the week. 
  • dickplumb said:
    Chris Gunter is the right back. Has been at Sparrows lane and The Valley today.
    Spurs-supporting friend says he’ll be good for us. 
  • edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Vfrf said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

The signing of Maddison changes things I reckon. If you have him, Doughty and Gilbey in the team, the full backs shouldn’t need to be too expansive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maddison and Oztumer have been in my top six most impressive players I have seen in League 1when we have been in it. Two of the other 4 played for us.

Together they could be magic.
    So could Tommy Cooper
  • I thought Gunter was reasonably attacking
  • I thought Gunter was reasonably attacking
    He has often played RWB for Wales. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Leuth said:
    Matthews isn't an attacking full-back either
    He used to run that wing last year, not sure how you can claim this.

Very good defensively, but was hardly swinging in loads of dangerous crosses in attack.
  • I'd take Matthews or Gunter tbf. No moaning from me if we get either of them.
    You don't belong on this forum with that attitude!!!
    I'll try harder. Sorry.
  • I’d rather we signed Matthews now, as he’d still be able to do a job in the Europa League in 12 years time.