Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League table talk

Comments

• predictions are pointless at this stage of a normal season as anything can and usually does happen. Players are battling for contracts etc. Add the fact that home advantage doesn’t count for much this season, analysis what might happen is pointless
  • edited June 2020
    To quote Blackadder.......there will be more twists & turns than a twisty turny thing.

The end of this season will be like no other. Form has gone out the window & no-one can predict one result from the next. Who would have thought that both us & Wigan would have won our first 2 games & Fulham would not have got a point.

I too think we'll need more than 52 points to stay up & wouldn't be surprised to see Luton & Barnsley getting to 50+ points. The 6 pointers are going to be key......want them all to be draws as a team who loses one week could easily win the next. EG, Stoke getting 2 draws is better (for us) than them winning 1 & losing 1.

As @jimmymelrose said on a separate  thread, might be best that Wigan win their next couple of games so that when we come to play them they are home & hosed and mentally on the beach. I also think we could get something up at Leeds.......home advantage counts for naught now.

But as said upthread......5pm Saturday could look a lot different - for good or for worse.
  • Sheffield Wednesday's potential points deduction could change everything.

No one, even Barnsley, it down and out yet and we are far from safe. But Bowyer has us fighting.

But isn't it too late to be taken into consideration ? I thought if points deduction hadn't been handed out by March it's carried forward to the following season.
  • While Luton may be on a decent run at moment, I’d say they’re also more than capable of going 3 or 4 games without a win. 
  • Bowyer will be out to win every game. Do teams get payments based on finishing position in the league like in the Prem?
    Probably been answered .. no they dont.
  • edited June 2020
    QPR and Reading  are in free fall, whilst Wigan look like being out of trouble by the weekend. Think 52 points would be excessive, its been around the 41 point mark 4 of the last 5 seasons. The other  season it was 51.

One more win for us and it will require two out of Barnsley, Huddersfield  and Hull winning 3 of their remaining 7 (6 in Barnsley's case) games.

EDIT of course thats all assuming Luton don't pull off a shock a poxy Leeds (currently 1-0 to Luton)
  • QPR and Reading  are in free fall, whilst Wigan look like being out of trouble by the weekend. Think 52 points would be excessive, its been around the 41 point mark 4 of the last 5 seasons. The other  season it was 51.

One more win for us and it will require two out of Barnsley, Huddersfield  and Hull winning 3 of their remaining 7 (6 in Barnsley's case) games.

EDIT of course thats all assuming Luton don't pull off a shock a poxy Leeds (currently 1-0 to Luton)
    I disagree. Lots of the bottom teams are playing each other & I reckon there will be more wins than draws.

52 bare minimum. 53 or 54 to be totally safe.
  • Luton grab a point at the league leaders
     3 shots to Leeds 23.

Stoke lose again & let in 3 without reply. GD could be vital & our clean sheets are really helping. 
  • Gonna have to soon make a 'restart league table.'

It will show so far that the bottom 3 will most likely be Hull, Hudds, Stoke. Reading and QPR need to watch out.

Can we get 53 points, scoring just two more goals?! Will anyone up front even get a shot on target.? Good job that funny 'more shots' character from the east stand isn't going.;-

• Sponsored links:

• Let’s face it. The bottom seven are all still bang in trouble. It will I’m sure be three from those seven. No team above Charlton will go down. We need to battle for every point and made much harder by our lack of goals. It’s going to be very tight. 
    You haven’t seen Readings next 5 fixtures then? 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Let’s face it. The bottom seven are all still bang in trouble. It will I’m sure be three from those seven. No team above Charlton will go down. We need to battle for every point and made much harder by our lack of goals. It’s going to be very tight. 
    And our next three
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Let’s face it. The bottom seven are all still bang in trouble. It will I’m sure be three from those seven. No team above Charlton will go down. We need to battle for every point and made much harder by our lack of goals. It’s going to be very tight. 
    And our next three
    In four games time.....reading will be closer to the relegation zone than us! IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Getting right naffed off with the form of those around us
    Teams could well say that about us.

Shambles of an ownership, in the bottom 3 and had just lost to Sheffield Weds, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough without scoring.

Now we're rejuvenated and the defence has not been greatly troubled in 3 games.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    And our next three
    In four games time.....reading will be closer to the relegation zone than us! IMO
    1 more win and they're safe in my opinion.

Almost no point trying to predict who will beat who in this league, as it's a minefield.

Wigan are the form team in the league, Luton have just taken 4 points from Swansea and Leeds away. We looked hopeless pre-lockdown but are now solid and have 7 points from 9. Same for Barnsley.

Teams with real cause for concern right now are Stoke, Huddersfield and Hull, but with teams playing 3 games every 6-7 days who knows, that could all change by next week.
  • It makes me realise if we hadn’t hit the ground running after the break we would have been odds on for the drop. Now, some are even starting to think we can beat Millwall.
    Steady on.
  • edited July 2020
    It makes me realise if we hadn’t hit the ground running after the break we would have been odds on for the drop. Now, some are even starting to think we can beat Millwall.
    If Millwall were in the National league south, i'd still go into the game thinking 'we could nick a draw'
  • The way things have gone in recent years, a draw against Millwall would be considered a victory!
  • Key problem for me is looking at the current 6 clubs below us and say with any real confidence that there’s no way they’ll win 3 of their remaining 6 games? (7 for Boro, Hull, Huddersfield). 

If if you put 9pts on everyone’s totals then we still have solid work to do
  • Key problem for me is looking at the current 6 clubs below us and say with any real confidence that there’s no way they’ll win 3 of their remaining 6 games? (7 for Boro, Hull, Huddersfield). 

If if you put 9pts on everyone’s totals then we still have solid work to do
    Yes that's true. But don't forget, three games ago we were a bit adrift and 3rd from bottom. We're a whole lot better off now, in a bit of form, restricting chances and keeping clean sheets. We've got a few knocks and a couple of blokes who don't want to play but we've got quite a few options in some positions. e.g.: we haven't really seen Williams or Oztumer yet.