Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Theo Foley - RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Goodnight and god bless to a true gentleman

:'( 
  • Options
    RIP Theo.
  • Options
    RIP Theo, thank you for the forward line of killer, flash and paddy and for being a Charlton man. 
  • Options
    RIP Theo. He was the manager when I started supporting the club. Met him once, in the middle of Marks & Spencer, but ever the gentleman he was polite & seemed surprised to be recognised. Condolences to his family.
  • Options
    When I worked part-time for Maurice Banham at the Valley, there are just a few people who stood out on the football side who would always acknowledge you. Theo and Keith Peacock were always top of that list. As others have said, kind, friendly and always enthusiastic. A sad loss, but a life well lived. 
  • Options
    Very sad, I always thought Theo's  career at Charlton was hampered by Michael Gliksten's timber business reducing to nothing, as that shrank so did Charlton. Mid table safety in March 72 till seasons ending injuries to Paul Went and Bob Curtis sent us into free fall, with relegation confirmed with a five nil defeat Blackpool, on the same day England lost three one at home to Gunter Netzer's West Germany. Relegation meant players like Ray Treacy and Paul Went moved on to better things and Theo had to get a side together, and he brought in King Arthur Horsfield, I still think that was one of his best signings, every fan needs a hero and Arthur was worth watching. Along with Flanagan, Hales and Powell there was a team waiting to happen but Theo couldn't make it gel and then he moved onto better things. 
    RIP Theo you played a big part in my love of Charlton.
  • Options
    When I worked part-time for Maurice Banham at the Valley, there are just a few people who stood out on the football side who would always acknowledge you. Theo and Keith Peacock were always top of that list. As others have said, kind, friendly and always enthusiastic. A sad loss, but a life well lived. 
    Interesting that. My mum was one of two women named Flo who cleaned the stand for about ten years or so straddling the 60s and 70s. Nearly all of the footballing activity was centred on The Valley back then. Occasionally she would talk about the footballing people who chatted and joked with her on a particular day, and the four names I remember featuring regularly were Charlie Hall, Charlie Wright, Eddie Firmani and Theo.

Very sad news.
  • Options
    RIP Theo, I used to see a girl way back in the mid to late 80’s who lived on Hulburne Road, used to see Theo quite a bit as he lived around the corner, met him a few times in various bars & lounges around the Valley, always a gentleman and happy to chat, have a great photo of me & my eldest son with him and Keith Peacock, cherished now.
    Sad news
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Theo, never met him but heard many great stories about him as knew his son Paul for a while -  as others have said, his passing must have been a big big blow
  • Options
    Met him once in a cafe in Islington, long time ago. After that , whenever I saw him he said hello. Never knew who I was, just remembered he had met me somewhere in his career. Lovely man, sadly missed. RIP Theo.
  • Options
    RIP Theo. My Dad was a good friend and colleague of his for many years. A real character and loved by everyone around him. Lots of tributes from Arsenal and their fans showing how important a part he played in their revival and title wins in partnership with George Graham. He was also at QPR so hopefully there’ll be a tribute before today’s match. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Theo Foley was a great Charlton Man and was the quintessential Irish charmer.
    Unfortunately for Theo, he became Manager when Michael Gliksten's raison d'être was to sell, sell, sell. ( That was Gliksten's attitude during the 60's as well with Hinton, bailey, Glover, Bonds etc)

Because the 68/69 team were allowed to be sold or succumbed to Injury, Theo would have needed a longer period to garner even a modicum of success at cafc in the early 70's.

Theo success came in north London when he played good cop to George Graham.
    As a coach, Theo would have been a dream to work with as the fragile ego of top footballers would have loved his positivity and skills in man management.

"The boy Liam Brady did good''

Theo: every man, woman and Child, only have good words to say for a top man who had time to chat.

RIP Theo Foley.

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    what a lovely man he was, always happy to talk Charlton to anyone and give his time to you, a very sad day and a great loss, RIP Theo
  • Options
    RIP Theo. Was my neighbour for 7 years when I was a kid and I was mates with his son Sean. Always a lovely bloke and still remembered me (he may have been being kind) a couple of years ago when we met. Condolences to Sean and the family.
  • Options
    Theo had the gift of the gab charming man to speak to .Saw him play for Charlton and of course manage charlton.

Theo gave us Killer Flash and Paddy what more could we ask for.

Thoughts go out to his wife and family RIP Theo.  You will be missed my friend.
  • Options
    RIP Theo.
  • Options
    RIP  Theo. Great bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP

• Options
    never ever thought of Theo as an 'old man' .. R I P
  • Options
    Interesting that. My mum was one of two women named Flo who cleaned the stand for about ten years or so straddling the 60s and 70s. Nearly all of the footballing activity was centred on The Valley back then. Occasionally she would talk about the footballing people who chatted and joked with her on a particular day, and the four names I remember featuring regularly were Charlie Hall, Charlie Wright, Eddie Firmani and Theo.

Very sad news.
    I did a few cleaning days as well, and I definitely remember two women who worked there, although the names have gone. Charlie Hall was definitely on my list along with Graham Tutt and Phil Warman. 
  • Options
    RIP Theo
  • Options
    Theo, Harry Gregory & Harry (steward)

• Options
    Always enjoyed watching Harry Gregory - a flair player who was more than happy to leave the foot in. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Always enjoyed watching Harry Gregory - a flair player who was more than happy to leave the foot in. 
    Yup, always a favourite of mine