Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs can reopen from 4th July

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Wow some very weird reactions on here to what I said. So the people in disagreement with me, do you feel that the virus is still very widespread in large parts of the country, despite there being less than 1000 new cases per day right now, in a country with a population of 66,650,000? That's a catch rate of 0.00001488372. 

If you look at where these new cases are, they are all transmission cases from people in hospitals and in care homes. There is virtually no new cases being reported on from any other source in the UK currently. Will that change if the pubs reopen? Possibly but if you live by that mantra nowhere will ever reopen again, and that's why I don't think a couple of pints with a friend or two will change the current situation. Am I slightly biased because I am a manager of a cocktail bar next to Monument station? Possibly but I just want to see the return to what we all defined as normal as quickly as possible, which is why within 48 hours of my bar shutting down I was having a telephone interview with the store manager at Sainsbury's West Wickham. 

Those asking how I could possibly know if anyone caught the virus in my store, trust me the general population of West Wickham all know eachother and I know all the gossip about various people having affairs and whose kids aren't being taught at home by lazy parents so if anyone had the virus I a) wouldn't see them in the store and everyone's a regular there and b) Janet from round the corner would tell anyone she met that Doris from number 23 has the virus
    I think you might need to check some of your facts actually.
    What facts SHG?
  • Options

• Options
    Was at The Rose in Vauxhall yesterday for a few beers. Takeaway pints on the riverfront, plenty of outdoor space and they even had a toilet open for punters.

Why has this news got everyone so excited when the experience will probably be more agg than you currently get down your local with the rules as they are?

More gutted about the gyms, but can see why they’ve been delayed.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    the problem still remains, the over 50s are the biggest spenders in the economy, and are in no rush to come back As the risks are too high, the Under 30s need that spend to support the sectors they work in, and those in the middle have massive insecurity over their jobs.

there is no switch which will bring this back to life quickly and easily 
    There is definitely a rush to come back here if my phone/email is anything to go by , I could have been full twice over for that 1st weekend & they were a bit disappointed that we are not opening, I’m mainly pensioners and they are gagging to get out for some company & see friends , I might open earlier than I thought & just leave it one week after the official date but I’ll wait n see 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    the problem still remains, the over 50s are the biggest spenders in the economy, and are in no rush to come back As the risks are too high, the Under 30s need that spend to support the sectors they work in, and those in the middle have massive insecurity over their jobs.

there is no switch which will bring this back to life quickly and easily 
    There is definitely a rush to come back here if my phone/email is anything to go by , I could have been full twice over for that 1st weekend & they were a bit disappointed that we are not opening, I’m mainly pensioners and they are gagging to get out for some company & see friends , I might open earlier than I thought & just leave it one week after the official date but I’ll wait n see 
    That's great news, but I do worry beyond first-day excitement 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Wow some very weird reactions on here to what I said. So the people in disagreement with me, do you feel that the virus is still very widespread in large parts of the country, despite there being less than 1000 new cases per day right now, in a country with a population of 66,650,000? That's a catch rate of 0.00001488372. 

If you look at where these new cases are, they are all transmission cases from people in hospitals and in care homes. There is virtually no new cases being reported on from any other source in the UK currently. Will that change if the pubs reopen? Possibly but if you live by that mantra nowhere will ever reopen again, and that's why I don't think a couple of pints with a friend or two will change the current situation. Am I slightly biased because I am a manager of a cocktail bar next to Monument station? Possibly but I just want to see the return to what we all defined as normal as quickly as possible, which is why within 48 hours of my bar shutting down I was having a telephone interview with the store manager at Sainsbury's West Wickham. 

Those asking how I could possibly know if anyone caught the virus in my store, trust me the general population of West Wickham all know eachother and I know all the gossip about various people having affairs and whose kids aren't being taught at home by lazy parents so if anyone had the virus I a) wouldn't see them in the store and everyone's a regular there and b) Janet from round the corner would tell anyone she met that Doris from number 23 has the virus
    Sorry Sam, but I'll agree to disagree.
    I note you have changed your wording from what you previously claimed.

Originally you said " none of me my colleagues or anyone I have come into contact with have succumbed to the virus in that time".

It is impossible for you to know that not one customer of Sainsburys West Wickham has contracted Covid19 in the last 14 weeks.

I'm pretty confident I had Covid in March, but after recovery and isolation I didn't go to my local supermarket and tell the staff.

Furthermore, considering many cases are asymptomatic, they may well have had Covid and not even know themselves.
  • Options
    It will be the same as always , the dickheads will go to the shite pubs who don’t give a rats & the sensible ones will go to the nice & safe ones.

Dickheads don’t want to drink in my pub as it’s uncomfortable for them & I don’t service their needs , I don’t serve alcopops or Stella I don’t have a fruit machine I don’t allow swearing,I don’t allow hoods or hats  no juke box & my music is shite for them my beers to expensive for them & im an arsehole towards them !

proper LOL reading this
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @sam3110

The data I have been quoting is provided by the Kings College Hospital / NHS research data collecting app with close to four million people reporting daily. I trust their figure above all other sources at this point. The discrepancy between that and what the government are publishing is quite extraordinary. I can’t give an answer as to why this should be the case. In any case I doubt Wiki is the best source on this.  Please participate in the study if you are not already. Link below.

Help slow the spread of #COVID19 and identify at risk cases sooner by self-reporting your symptoms daily, even if you feel well 🙏. Download the app
    https://covid.joinzoe.com/
  • Options
    Fair enough Covered End, my point still stands that in the past 14 weeks I have been out and about 5 days a week serving a lot of elderly people, almost all of which come in twice a week minimum and at no point have any of them replied "no I've been ill recently and might have had the virus" or "my wife is suffering from it" or anything of that nature to my questions of how are you or how have you been keeping etc. This may just be the British stiff upper lip keep calm and carry on nature of people, but the number of new cases reported and the general ease of restrictions that are coming into place seem to back up my idea and belief that the "average person on the street" doesn't have Coronavirus and isn't catching it from their day to day lives, and therefore I see no reason why pubs and restaurants should stay closed and no need for people to avoid places, as long as the vast majority of people are being sensible and vigilant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Fair enough Covered End, my point still stands that in the past 14 weeks I have been out and about 5 days a week serving a lot of elderly people, almost all of which come in twice a week minimum and at no point have any of them replied "no I've been ill recently and might have had the virus" or "my wife is suffering from it" or anything of that nature to my questions of how are you or how have you been keeping etc. This may just be the British stiff upper lip keep calm and carry on nature of people, but the number of new cases reported and the general ease of restrictions that are coming into place seem to back up my idea and belief that the "average person on the street" doesn't have Coronavirus and isn't catching it from their day to day lives, and therefore I see no reason why pubs and restaurants should stay closed and no need for people to avoid places, as long as the vast majority of people are being sensible and vigilant
    Please don’t think I’m trying to be a smartarse here but the notion that the average person isn’t catching co-19 going about there daily lives is quite baffling.
  • Options
    @sam3110
    Sam i really doubt someone is going to say "my wife is suffering from it" but i thought i'd come to the supermarket and have a chat with all and sundry.

I'm an average person on the street and i know 4 people who've died and another 2 who had it.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Please don’t think I’m trying to be a smartarse here but the notion that the average person isn’t catching co-19 going about there daily lives is quite baffling.
    And worrying as it encourages complacency.
  • Options
    I live in Bexley, I don’t know a single person who has had the virus. Most people I know, don’t know a single person who has had the virus..... this does breed a sceptical attitude towards the lockdown and now the easing of lockdown. I obviously do not refute it’s existence, but I do keep an open mind on the facts we are given by the media and politicians. 

I will go back to the pub, but will be selective and will stay away from Hairy arsed scaffolders and Wetherspoons.  
  • Options
    I live in Bexley, I don’t know a single person who has had the virus. Most people I know, don’t know a single person who has had the virus..... this does breed a sceptical attitude towards the lockdown and now the easing of lockdown. I obviously do not refute it’s existence, but I do keep an open mind on the facts we are given by the media and politicians. 

I will go back to the pub, but will be selective and will stay away from Hairy arsed scaffolders and Wetherspoons.  
    You’ve just saved me typing a similar post. I know 3 people who suspect they have had it but none confirmed. 

COVID is still about and I’m going to be cautious.  I’ve been invited to see people who haven’t been social distances and by people who have. I’m choosing to see those that have!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @sam3110

Again I’m not trying to be smart here but you haven't collated any evidence.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    sam3110 said:
    I tend to agree with this.
    According to the government 1 in 1700 have Covid.
    A couple of months ago it was 1 in 400.
    Yes I've also heard that many of the cases NOW are in and around care homes and hospitals, but of course that wasn't the case over the last 14 weeks.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Then why haven't vast swathes of supermarket workers been taken ill with the virus? We've been in arguably the busiest places in the UK for 3 months now, the one place that's still open and taking in people from all different households under one roof and yet none of us, in 14 weeks, have been symptomatic at any point. And some of my colleagues are 60+ and have health problems etc. and yet I'm being asked if I've been kicked in the head or if I'm a dickhead, all because I'm commenting on what I have witnessed over the entirety of lockdown and how I agree with the relaxing of the current restrictions because of the evidence I have collated in actually being out in the world. Governments fiddle numbers on things yes, but self diagnosis also skews the numbers way up too, as anyone with a high temperature or a cough is classed as a positive case on the tracking apps, regardless of results, and most won't be tested.

Anyway, the 4th July I'll be back behind my bar cracking out mojitos and Daiquiris for customers old and new, and I personally cannot wait for that moment, and hope that people are sensible about it all, but also learn to enjoy life again, as that's what we all want, right?
    Surely if your colleagues have health issues shouldnt they of been shielding. For that period of time. 

That's stinks of incompetence from the company. 

I know of another major supermarket who instantly sent out letters, txt messages and phone calls to colleagues who were deemed vunerable and told them not to return to work on full pay. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    So 38,000 people have COVID. I haven’t seen the government slides recently but say 5,000 people are hospitalised, that’s 33,000 people with COVID. A full valley plus the east stand again and some! That’s still a lot of active cases
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Then why haven't vast swathes of supermarket workers been taken ill with the virus? We've been in arguably the busiest places in the UK for 3 months now, the one place that's still open and taking in people from all different households under one roof and yet none of us, in 14 weeks, have been symptomatic at any point. And some of my colleagues are 60+ and have health problems etc. and yet I'm being asked if I've been kicked in the head or if I'm a dickhead, all because I'm commenting on what I have witnessed over the entirety of lockdown and how I agree with the relaxing of the current restrictions because of the evidence I have collated in actually being out in the world. Governments fiddle numbers on things yes, but self diagnosis also skews the numbers way up too, as anyone with a high temperature or a cough is classed as a positive case on the tracking apps, regardless of results, and most won't be tested.

Anyway, the 4th July I'll be back behind my bar cracking out mojitos and Daiquiris for customers old and new, and I personally cannot wait for that moment, and hope that people are sensible about it all, but also learn to enjoy life again, as that's what we all want, right?
    I would suggest that supermarkets are large buildings with high ceilings and in hindsight the risk of being in there is a little like being outside, as opposed to being in a small confined shop or your own home, where the virus would be much easier to breathe in. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    So 38,000 people have COVID. I haven’t seen the government slides recently but say 5,000 people are hospitalised, that’s 33,000 people with COVID. A full valley plus the east stand again and some! That’s still a lot of active cases
    Yes it is, but that's the whole of the UK.
    If 1 in 1700 now have Covid, I'd be pretty unlucky to catch it now if I'm being sensible.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Surely if your colleagues have health issues shouldnt they of been shielding. For that period of time. 

I know of another major supermarket who instantly sent out letters, txt messages and phone calls to colleagues who were deemed vunerable and told them not to return to work on full pay. 
    They were told to shield if they wanted and would be paid 100% of the salary for the entire time they were off, with 2 of the 14 weeks off taken as holiday. Many did shield but a fair few decided not to as is their choice, and none of them were symptomatic at any point in the 14 weeks. 

SHG is an eye witness report not allowed to be edivence in a court of law? My eye witness report of what's happened during lockdown in Sainsbury's West Wickham is evidence, no matter how circumstantial
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Sam, 291 of your colleagues at Sainsbury's had Covid four weeks ago.  Hopefully, you didn't come into close contact with any of them.

Where did they catch it?  I don't know, but it wouldn't have been in the pub. 

What do they all have in common?  They all work at Sainsbury's. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

They were told to shield if they wanted and would be paid 100% of the salary for the entire time they were off, with 2 of the 14 weeks off taken as holiday. Many did shield but a fair few decided not to as is their choice, and none of them were symptomatic at any point in the 14 weeks. 

SHG is an eye witness report not allowed to be edivence in a court of law? My eye witness report of what's happened during lockdown in Sainsbury's West Wickham is evidence, no matter how circumstantial
    I don’t think your view of this has any grounding in science at all I’m afraid. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    sam3110 said:
    I’ve thought all along that the Government should have regionalised the situation more and closed down areas of the country.The figures now suggest that the North West has suffered more than London in terms of cases per 100,000 of the population and there appear to be hardly any new cases occurring in the South East and London shown even more so by hospitals reducing the COVID areas and my cousin, who is a paramedic, hasn’t had a new case for more than a month. 
    Now opening up the whole country at the same time seems to lend itself to it spreading around again but we shall see and in Boris we trust (snigger).

My view is that the pub is a place to be free to drink and be merry with your pals or family-whilst I understand it happening, all this name and address, time limits and table service malarkey doesn’t do anything for me and I won’t be rushing back. 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

I can't see a reputable supermarket as the one you mention give staff a choice, if they are deemed vulnerable.

It was a government guideline and I'm sure would have implications on their insurance policy's. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Sam, 291 of your colleagues at Sainsbury's had Covid four weeks ago.  Hopefully, you didn't come into close contact with any of them.

Where did they catch it?  I don't know, but it wouldn't have been in the pub. 

What do they all have in common?  They all work at Sainsbury's. 
    So 0.0025 of our workforce, or 1 in 400 people, right in line with what Covered End said was the figure 4 weeks ago in the UK? IF that's true then there is now less than 100. In a company of over 100k workers, who have all been in contact with the general public throughout the pandemic.... Can you see where I'm going with this?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

I can't see a reputable supermarket as the one you mention give staff a choice, if they are deemed vulnerable.

It was a government guideline and I'm sure would have implications on their insurance policy's. 
    Anyone with a letter stating they were vulnerable were strongly advised to shield. It wasn't a law. Also, anyone has free will and therefore if they decide to carry on as normal then they have that right. Many of our older and more vulnerable colleagues stayed away, but a few wanted to continue to work and we're welcome to do so, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure people much higher up than me would have been advised on the risks and implications involved
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Supermarket workers have died, one in my local co-op sadly. 
    And good luck on the 4th July, the city’s closed for the foreseeable, so who are you serving? Tourists?