Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

McDonalds closing ALL restuarants!.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think there has yet been a study as to the effect of shit on McDonald's customers' immune systems.  Perhaps having their food served in an environment covered in faeces has had a positive effect on their immunity.  It would be interesting to see whether customers of a chain with as much shit on the menu as McDonald's have built up a natural protection against diseases borne in the environment in which food is served.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/29/mcdonalds-touchscreen-kiosks-in-uk-contain-traces-of-feces.html 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When I think of the word 'restaurant' I don't think of MacDonald's.

McDonald's currently controls the UK's second-largest group of restaurants.  (I bet you can guess who controls the most...)
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if the government asked McD's to close on a seperate day to the other smaller food / drink businesses, so it would get the attention of some of the chavs who are still treating like an inset day and taking the kids to Southend for a jolly 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:
    You do most of these things when you buy stuff from a petrol-station, corner shop or supermarket. A delivery man from Sainsbury’s either passes you a bag or a box, a cashier takes your cash and passes you carrier bags, can’t see the difference.
    When stuff is delivered to my house I now take it straight through to an outside shed where I leave it for a day or two depending on what it is and then go wash my hands.

Sounds like fair play to McD's.  Also,less McD's may mean less Amazon destroyed...

Does anyone have any information about how long the virus can remain 'live' on packaging. Would plastic/cardboard, storage temperature etc make a lot of difference?
    Here's a bit of info... 

"...detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel". That's worth thinking about when you're pressing a plastic straw between your lips, to drink McDonald's milkshake from a plastic-coated paper cup, poured from a stainless steel dispenser.  More here: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces 

As I understand it, the virus can remain viable much longer on hard surfaces (e.g. a metal door handle) than on soft surfaces (e.g. a tissue).  
    Thanks Chizz. That last point made me think about my dog walk yesterday. We kept ourselves to ourselves but I did take her into a dog enclosure in the park and had to open and shut the metal latch of the gate on the way in and out (just like 100's of other people over the last few days 🤔). I won't be doing that again.
  • Options
    It’s a shame that Mcshite will reopen 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

McDonald's currently controls the UK's second-largest group of restaurants.  (I bet you can guess who controls the most...)

'spoons? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

'spoons? 
    Costa?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

Roland?
  • Options
    I think I remember reading it was Subway. 
  • Options
    As this is a Chizz question the answer's likely to be oblique. I'm going with the government (NHS, civil service, army etc)
  • Options
    Nandos has also closed its doors for the time being!!

Now where am I gonna get my Cheeky Nandos fix
  • Options
    The Valley Café Group?
  • Options
    • McDonald's Corporation. Outlets: 1,285 (2017) ...
    • Starbucks Corporation. Outlets: 951 (2017) ...
    • Costa Coffee. Outlets: 2,389 points of sale (2017) ...
    • Domino's Pizza. Outlets: 1,045 (2017) ...
    • Pret A Manger. Outlets: 360 (2017) ...
    • KFC. Outlets: 847 (2017) ...
    • Nando's. Outlets – 392 (2017) ...
    • Subway. Outlets – 2,378 (2017)

• Options
    Well at least when this is all over the nation - especially the 'yoof' - will be at least a stone lighter!
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Well at least when this is all over the nation - especially the 'yoof' - will be at least a stone lighter!
    Gotta rely on Burger King and KFC following suit before making statements like that

Close those three and you stand a better chance of self-lockdown in some of the Medway Towns though
  • Options
    edited March 2020

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:
    You do most of these things when you buy stuff from a petrol-station, corner shop or supermarket. A delivery man from Sainsbury’s either passes you a bag or a box, a cashier takes your cash and passes you carrier bags, can’t see the difference.
    When stuff is delivered to my house I now take it straight through to an outside shed where I leave it for a day or two depending on what it is and then go wash my hands.

Sounds like fair play to McD's.  Also,less McD's may mean less Amazon destroyed...

Does anyone have any information about how long the virus can remain 'live' on packaging. Would plastic/cardboard, storage temperature etc make a lot of difference?
    Here's a bit of info... 

"...detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel". That's worth thinking about when you're pressing a plastic straw between your lips, to drink McDonald's milkshake from a plastic-coated paper cup, poured from a stainless steel dispenser.  More here: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces 

As I understand it, the virus can remain viable much longer on hard surfaces (e.g. a metal door handle) than on soft surfaces (e.g. a tissue).  
    Thanks Chizz. That last point made me think about my dog walk yesterday. We kept ourselves to ourselves but I did take her into a dog enclosure in the park and had to open and shut the metal latch of the gate on the way in and out (just like 100's of other people over the last few days 🤔). I won't be doing that again.
    I've seen advice that people should open and close doors and gates (like the one you describe) with their sleeve pulled down over their hands.  I think that's terrible advice - it's far easier and quicker to wash your hands than your sleeve. 

Why not take a plastic or rubber glove on your next walk?  You could dispose of it at the end of your walk if it's disposable, or, if it's a rubber glove, wash your hands with the glove on when you get home, then again when you take it off. 
  • Options
    As this is a Chizz question the answer's likely to be oblique. I'm going with the government (NHS, civil service, army etc)
    Of course it's oblique!  :wink:  

The question was "controlled" rather than "owned".  And the sad answer is that it's the Official Receiver.  Simply because so many restaurants go bust. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    No impact on me what do ever but im
    pleased to hear they are taking care of their staff. 

I think Chicken Cottage are still operating. Total meltdown for kids should they close. I’m sure their be fighting in the street (breaks into song...Won’t get fooled again ) if they close. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

Little Chef?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Of course it's oblique!  :wink:  

The question was "controlled" rather than "owned".  And the sad answer is that it's the Official Receiver.  Simply because so many restaurants go bust. 
    Yeah, I tried one of their Big OR Meals the other day, didn't like the fries.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    • McDonald's Corporation. Outlets: 1,285 (2017) ...
    • Starbucks Corporation. Outlets: 951 (2017) ...
    • Costa Coffee. Outlets: 2,389 points of sale (2017) ...
    • Domino's Pizza. Outlets: 1,045 (2017) ...
    • Pret A Manger. Outlets: 360 (2017) ...
    • KFC. Outlets: 847 (2017) ...
    • Nando's. Outlets – 392 (2017) ...
    • Subway. Outlets – 2,378 (2017)

I can understand McDonalds but I don't see how Costa or Starbucks qualify as restaurants.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Tip of the iceberg .. to broaden the discussion .. I can't see the 'high street' ever recovering from the various closures, 'bricks and mortar' retailing was in crisis long before the pandemic arrived.
     The big rescue packages for Debenhams, House of Fraser etc. depended on rebranding and restructuring, what is now the point with no customers .. huge brands like McD and Primark are closing indefinitely ..  Waterstones, HMV and many other speciality stores/brands must be in danger along with the majority of clothes shops, especially those run by Philip Green
    The Govt has virtually renationalised the railways and the airlines will need billions in support to keep going. Inevitably exports other than food will slow down, steel plants and engineering suppliers will close as car manufacturing grinds to a halt meaning that the docks and container ports will lose business. 
    Hundreds of thousands of workers in a huge variety of trades and industries will be laid off and for how long will the Govt continue to pay their fairly generous income support monies ?
     Things will be very different after this pandemic and it seems there is a long way to go until the authorities will give the go ahead for everyone to resume a semblance of normality. But I doubt that 'normality' will  ever be quite what we knew before the corona virus intruded into our society.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Gotta rely on Burger King and KFC following suit before making statements like that

Close those three and you stand a better chance of self-lockdown in some of the Medway Towns though

The yoot will still go out terrorising... 

Gangs of feral performing cyclists causing chaos in the middle of the road.

At least i don't have to teach em for a few weeks, months...
  • Options
    Tip of the iceberg .. to broaden the discussion .. I can't see the 'high street' ever recovering from the various closures, 'bricks and mortar' retailing was in crisis long before the pandemic arrived.
     The big rescue packages for Debenhams, House of Fraser etc. depended on rebranding and restructuring, what is now the point with no customers .. huge brands like McD and Primark are closing indefinitely ..  Waterstones, HMV and many other speciality stores/brands must be in danger along with the majority of clothes shops, especially those run by Philip Green
    The Govt has virtually renationalised the railways and the airlines will need billions in support to keep going. Inevitably exports other than food will slow down, steel plants and engineering suppliers will close as car manufacturing grinds to a halt meaning that the docks and container ports will lose business. 
    Hundreds of thousands of workers in a huge variety of trades and industries will be laid off and for how long will the Govt continue to pay their fairly generous income support monies ?
     Things will be very different after this pandemic and it seems there is a long way to go until the authorities will give the go ahead for everyone to resume a semblance of normality. But I doubt that 'normality' will  ever be quite what we knew before the corona virus intruded into our society.
    The 'High Street' will recover, but it won't be the same.  There will be a new normal.  That might mean fewer chains and more, relevant, local shops.  It might mean customers preferring to shop in places where they know the owner and they know the owner looks after their staff.  And it might mean that global and national retail chains become fewer and are replaced by businesses that are more-closely aligned to their locale. 

Today, for the first time in the many years since I moved to my current house, I walked to the local village and bought some food from the local butcher, instead of driving to the supermarket and choosing from the meat counter.  I won't buy meat from the supermarket any more after this. 
  • Options
    Government health bod was saying yesterday that cardboard is safe "because it absorbs the virus." Common sense tells you it's all relatively low risk but keep up your cleaning, washing and wiping regime.