Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*** David Davis signs on loan from Birmingham ***

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    boggzy said:
    Finally got round to asking my mate (Blues fan) what he thought. He wasn't over-impressed, said he had a 'good engine' 'runs around alot' and 'gets stuck in'.

However gives the ball away one hell of a lot, stray passes/caught in posession apparently.

We definitely need a midfielder that gets stuck in so that has to be a positive.
    My Blues' mate said the same thing. A massive trier who isn't much good with the ball. We'll see....he could be wrong. 
    He sounds like a direct Pratley replacement! 
  • Just kidding, Darren 😉
  • Think he’ll be good under Bowyer and our all committed to the cause style
  • Nice little interview, a classic of it's kind, but he mentioned some Bowyer touchstones, honesty, hard work and points.
    He is on our page, lets hope the story turns out to be a good one.
  • I thought he was going to get sent off on his debut, and should have been subbed before he did, not a great start, but let’s give the guy a chance, it was poor all around yesterday.
  • Thought on the most part he was decent yesterday, but one silly tackle hindered his game because he’s evidently a physical player. Can’t start him with Pratley though, both too defensive 
  • Clearly likes to get stuck in. That or he's habitually late in the tackle - 80 career bookings and 2 sendings off
    Make that 81 bookings and 2 sendings off - that's roughly 1/3 career starts and 6/17 this season. 
  • Wasn’t particularly impressed yesterday. Thought he was behind the pace and made some clumsy challenges. Confident he will improve though 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think he's going to be our new age Semedo. 

Win the ball back, pass it to defence or sideways. DO NOT PLAY IT FORWARDS.

Powerful, tenacious tackling type of player. 
    Ray Wilkins mk2
  • looks like he made a better fist of the brexit fiasco than his debut in Charlton red.
  • Sponsored links:

• looks like he made a better fist of the brexit fiasco than his debut in Charlton red.
    He was a master negotiator!
  • Thought he was superb tonight - the silly booking seemed to focus him and from then on he played it to perfection
  • edited February 2020
    Mentioned in the match thread when the team was announced that I've not been a fan of the 5-3-2 lately, but liked the balance of this one with Davis and Cullen in the middle and Oztumer further up. I feel like Davis is a little more dynamic in his movement and pace then Pratley which means he can get to the break downs and cover easier which helps when you have less men in the middle of the park. 

Good for Pratley to get a well deserved rest though as he will be needed in the run in. Not really sure where this leaves Field, maybe LB sees him as more of a Cullen replacement if Cullen gets injured or needs rest. 

• edited February 2020
    Davis looks a better passer than Pratley to me.  This might the chance to move Pratley into the defence, if we play a 3.  Looks the best of the January arrivals, with Green second.  Probably harsh to judge Smith on last night but he looked out of his depth- would rather use Morgan.  I can't see where McGeady fits in, other than as an impact sub. 
  • Fella's built like a tank.

Teams are going to have to work hard to negotiate around him.
  • Still don't know if he's been signed with the intention of returning full time in the summer but on last nights basis I can see him signed up as a younger, longer term Pratley type.

One rubbish game, one good one. Need now to see which is his normal and which was the aberration.
  • First I’ve seen of him and thought he was excellent last night. Proper Championship nous and walked the line of a yellow card for most of the game. Like him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    First I’ve seen of him and thought he was excellent last night. Proper Championship nous and walked the line of a yellow card for most of the game. Like him. 

Now we can begin to understand why Birmingham fans were livid.
  • He looks a player you want in your team. Had a bit of Midlands v Notts anger in him yesterday. Lets not got too excited as we know a he has a red card in him which will mean rotation.
  • McGeady is going to be such an asset at home constantly probing the opposing back line. Wasn't really his game last night as we weren't really set up to commit bodies forward,especially in the second half.

So many options in the middle now.
    I hopeTeams are going to find it very hard to combat our constant shape changing
  • Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Davis looks a better passer than Pratley to me.  This might the chance to move Pratley into the defence, if we play a 3.  Looks the best of the January arrivals, with Green second.  Probably harsh to judge Smith on last night but he looked out of his depth- would rather use Morgan.  I can't see where McGeady fits in, other than as an impact sub. 
    Far too early to judge Smith and McGeady.

An impact sub is something we didn’t have a month or two ago so that strengthens the squad. As well as another alternative to Williams he gives us more options for playing with wingers.
    Of course you're right it's too early but Smith didn't really even look like a footballer. Was like a fan had won a competition. 
  • I didn’t think Davis was that bad on Saturday anyway. A bad first half, but he settled in the second half, and took that into last night. Indeed I thought he was better than Cullen
  • Talal said:
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:

An impact sub is something we didn’t have a month or two ago so that strengthens the squad. As well as another alternative to Williams he gives us more options for playing with wingers.
    Of course you're right it's too early but Smith didn't really even look like a footballer. Was like a fan had won a competition. 
    I know this comment is a little tongue in cheek, but he really was not that bad. He came on and tracked back well, and got himself into decent enough defensive positions.

Sure he didn't cover himself with glory when he had the ball, but he came on during a passage of play where the only outlet he had in front of him was Taylor and we were being pressed high by Forest. 
  • Talal said:
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:

I know this comment is a little tongue in cheek, but he really was not that bad. He came on and tracked back well, and got himself into decent enough defensive positions.

Sure he didn't cover himself with glory when he had the ball, but he came on during a passage of play where the only outlet he had in front of him was Taylor and we were being pressed high by Forest. 
    I don't even think he tracked back that effectively. I mean he tried I guess but there was one time their player had the ball, whom Smith was tracking, their man passes it and Smith just leaves him to run in behind. He reacted as an afterthought but would've been too late had they made the pass. 
    Anyway I won't moan about him any further than this, hopefully he will improve with more training/game time. 

• Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:

I don't even think he tracked back that effectively. I mean he tried I guess but there was one time their player had the ball, whom Smith was tracking, their man passes it and Smith just leaves him to run in behind. He reacted as an afterthought but would've been too late had they made the pass. 
    Anyway I won't moan about him any further than this, hopefully he will improve with more training/game time. 

I shouldn't worry too much about Smith.

He may not have been 1st choice loan signing in the January window; but he's highly rated at Man City, been a regular for a season in the Dutch second division -  and at just 20 years old, already earned 7 full international caps for Wales.

Gallen & Bows must see something they like ...... and with a bit of coaching, Bows will turn him into the type of player he wants.

• Smith had a look about him when he came on last night, like someone's son who turned up to watch their Dad play Sunday football and was allowed to play the last 15 mins.

I'm sure he's a lot better than he showed last night, I just think we were totally spoilt with Gallagher and cannot compare every loan to him