Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff Wed | Sat 30 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think leko must look better on tv than live... just seen people on the match thread saying he’d been our best player? Bloody lunatics. He was crap.
    He never hid, tried to make things happen and get at defenders. Also did some defensive work. He's had far worse games.
     He lost the ball a few times and did that stupid strut walk to get back onside, was constantly in an offside position and fouled our own player.

his passing was off and he took too long to release the ball.  A big problem because the team move up to support him and he’ll lose the ball opening us up to a counter from what more often than not should be a position where we tested Wednesday.

I was in the West F block in line with Leko and Bonne first half and Bonne is far more football intelligent, if he had Leko’s skill he’d be outstanding.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think leko must look better on tv than live... just seen people on the match thread saying he’d been our best player? Bloody lunatics. He was crap.
    He never hid, tried to make things happen and get at defenders. Also did some defensive work. He's had far worse games.
     He lost the ball a few times and did that stupid strut walk to get back onside, was constantly in an offside position and fouled our own player.

his passing was off and he took too long to release the ball.  A big problem because the team move up to support him and he’ll lose the ball opening us up to a counter from what more often than not should be a position where we tested Wednesday.

I was in the West F block in line with Leko and Bonne first half and Bonne is far more football intelligent, if he had Leko’s skill he’d be outstanding.
    Leko's judgement and decision making is what lets him down.  He's young so hopefully that side of his game will develop.  We've only got him for a year though so I doubt we'll be the ones to benefit.  Right now, strikes me as an athlete that plays football, rather than a footballer, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    First 6 games 14 points ....4 wins 2 draws 11 goals for 5 goals against 

last 13 games  9 points .....2 wins 3 draws 8 losses 15 goals for 21 goals against 

its not the certainty to me that we can turn it around with returning players, like it appears to be with the majority  who presume we can just return to anywhere near that early season stuff where we only drew with Barnsley and to me weren’t the most convincing,  first half against Forest apart .

concerned of Epping but only slightly cos I’m on the crest of the new ownership wave myself ! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Totally agree and yet to see Leko get close enough to Bonne for any flick ons or to link play, he has talent but limited football brain, sadly 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Totally agree and yet to see Leko get close enough to Bonne for any flick ons or to link play, he has talent but limited football brain, sadly 
    I'm not always clear how much is down to trying too much and how much is down to decision making. There are a number of times where he fails to release the ball and instead tries to take on more players - I'm sure the coaching staff can improve him.

Given his undoubted pace and skill it would be a shame for him not to reach his potential.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

last 13 games  9 points .....2 wins 3 draws 8 losses 15 goals for 21 goals against 

its not the certainty to me that we can turn it around with returning players, like it appears to be with the majority  who presume we can just return to anywhere near that early season stuff where we only drew with Barnsley and to me weren’t the most convincing,  first half against Forest apart .

concerned of Epping but only slightly cos I’m on the crest of the new ownership wave myself ! 
    You were this negative about the playoffs and look what happened there, we'll be fine! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really pleased with the effort and competitive intent.
    We lost to a penalty decision where I am far from convinced the initial contact occurred in the area. The 3rd goal was largely an irrelevance.
    Sheffield Wednesday deserved to win. They had the greater experience, physical presence and quality. Just reflect on their substitutions Jacob Murphy and Adam Reach who both contributed to the second half goals.
    We introduced academy youngster James Vennings for his debut and Josh Davison a month out of Enfield.
    Of the 13 players who took the pitch for us just two Matthews and Pratley had any notable Championship experience. Just 2 Sarr in 2015 and Bonne 2019 from the National League cost a transfer fee.
    That is the reality of the past 6years.
    Recognising Solly and Pearce cannot manage two games in a week we had Amos, Solly, Pearce, Purrington, Page, Forster-Caskey, Cullen, Field, Kayal, Gallagher, Lapslie, Aneke, Williams, Taylor, Hemed, Maynard-Brewer unavailable to start today. Barring a right sided central defender this list comprised a stronger team than the one that took the pitch. It has 7 arguably 8 front line first team picks.
    Unsurprisingly we were limited, tentative and disjointed with the game littered with mistakes all of which restrict any ability to function in the final third yet the efforts of the players was first class.
    Special mention to Doughty our 4th choice left back, Leko who lived off scraps for the entire second half and Oshilaja who despite some very questionable distribution typified a fighting performance all over the pitch.
    The suggestion Oztumer should have been subbed before the penalty is pure hindsight. Yes he had an injury but if he was so badly injured how the hell did he get to be the first challenging left side defender in the first place.
    It was a tired challenge (and Murphy looked for and won a penalty) but Oztumer simply got his challenge wrong.
    Ultimately we have much remedial work to do on and off the field of play. It will take time, planning and investment but the order of the day today for me was respect for the management and players, respect for the prospective new administration and respect for my fellow supporters.
    All being well the very large cloud which has polluted our footballing lives for much of the past 6 years is about to be lifted from our future. For the first time in a very very long time we have actually had a club statement issued and owned by a club official. Organisational sanity may just be peeping round the corner.
    Nobody wants to accept a loss but yesterday WAS a good day.

Grapevine says it like it is once again.

Looking forward to his insightful view of the new regime once they're crowned & take the "throne".
  • Options
    Croydon said:

You were this negative about the playoffs and look what happened there, we'll be fine! 
    I was certain we’d get to the final and then lose .... 
    i wasn’t  far out ! 
    Let’s hope My concerns are unfounded but we are shit atm and have been for a good while 
  • Options
    Everyone moaning (agreed) about Leko. but with our injury crisis, to leave him out now would be wrong. Once Tayloe is fit and joins up with Bonne, I would expect Leko to be on the bench.
  • Options
    Or wing
  • Options
    I like Leko , he has plenty of ability we just gotta nudge his brain a bit to help him understand when to release the ball and keep it simple 
  • Options
    The match yesterday kind of passed me by as I was simply revelling in being back at the Valley, with mates and new owners with promises of fan engagement and investment. The result was largely immaterial - except that it perpetuated the poor run we have understandably been suffering of late.

The attitude all round was first class. Phillips, Oshilaja and Doughty did themselves proud. I don't know if Adam Matthews was one of those sick but that was his worst performance for us, continually being caught out of position. Naby's ability to ping great long balls seems to have deserted him too. For the rest, they just need reinforcements and now, at long last, we can hope to build a squad that can truly compete at the higher end of the table.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    The match yesterday kind of passed me by as I was simply revelling in being back at the Valley, with mates and new owners with promises of fan engagement and investment. The result was largely immaterial - except that it perpetuated the poor run we have understandably been suffering of late.

The attitude all round was first class. Phillips, Oshilaja and Doughty did themselves proud. I don't know if Adam Matthews was one of those sick but that was his worst performance for us, continually being caught out of position. Naby's ability to ping great long balls seems to have deserted him too. For the rest, they just need reinforcements and now, at long last, we can hope to build a squad that can truly compete at the higher end of the table.
    Naby pinged several decent balls to Doughty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Davo55 said:

He also pinged several direct to various punters sitting in the West Stand  ;)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Davo55 said:

He also pinged several direct to various punters sitting in the West Stand  ;)
    One went nowhere near anyone.... It was like he didn't even look for the runner.
  • Options
    Watched on tv. 
    Leko is marmite. 
    He can make things happen and pops up with goals.
    But he needs to get closer to bonne for flick ons etc... some think hes half a sleep or lazy but i think its because he just cant get around athletically. He's limited. Also hangs onto the ball too much for me. 

personally id give someone else a chance now, his goals flatter him. Maybe doughty? 
    Bring on leko as a supersub when defenders are tired. 

I thought doughty and oshi looked good. Phillips is our best player atm! 
  • Options
    Leko and Bonne have done well considering the relative lack of service they get.
  • Options
    I learned something new yesterday from Lee’s interview. Alfie’s surname is pronounced “Dock a tee” as in Tommy Docherty. I’d always thought it was “Dowtee”. 
  • Options
    The team Lee had to select tried their hardest and that's good enough for me.

I was unusually relaxed with the result, my mood  due of course to the news of RD finally selling.

Leco I thought was one of our most effective players, but wish he passed the ball more.

The chants of ' we're fucking rich and 'we're richer than you' are sort of understandable given the circumstances.

But I hope we remember where we have come from and stay humble, cos there's nothing worse than the nouveau rich mouthing off.

I know this point has been made above.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Can't ask for any more from the team given the injury/illness crisis.

On one hand the 3-1 flattered them, on the other hand Phillips made 2 or 3 big saves as well as them missing an absolute sitter in the 1st half... so could have easily been 4 or 5.

Gallagher back on Sat (and possibly Taylor) will make a huge difference. Frustrating on the lack of updates on many of the other absentees (Hemed, JFC, William's, Kayal etc).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The "we're fucking rich" song was "composed" around 10.15am Saturday morning, whilst travelling in a north easterly direction along William Barefoot Drive. It was sung for a laugh, a bit of banter. As you were :smile: