Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff Wed | Sat 30 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    PWR.

Disappointed obviously but the players gave their all so I cannot be critical given the circumstances I face. Alfie Doughty had an impressive full league debut in my view and thoroughly deserved his assist.

Unfortunately I now have some tossers behind me who continually slag off Sarr and Leko in particular. It was all I could do not to turn round and say something frankly. If they stay I am going to have to move. Hopefully like most of that ilk they will jump off the bandwagon if we don't show immediate signs of romping away with the league under the new regime.

Those muppets ruined the day for me frankly but I am sure some regard it as youngsters making a 'good atmosphere' so I live with it, stop going or try to move elsewhere within the stadium.

Thoroughly p***** off. Sorry for moaning.
    Tell them to shut it. Can work.
  • Options
    Can't be too disappointed tonight after that performance. Thought a very  patched up team gave it a really good shot against a Wednesday team who are no mugs.

And if you want to be optimistic tonight, of the 9 bottom teams (which includes us), 7 have still to come to the Valley. (We've so far only payed Stoke at home). If we can take points from them - and assuming we can get some players to stay fit, we should- we can easily sail up the table. 
  • Options
    It was shite but I don't blame anyone on the pitch or Bowyer. Youth players should be introduced one at a time, not three at once, can't blame anyone at The Valley though. It was a continuation of Tuesday only Wednesday are less bad than Luton. 

Hopefully we can get a win between now and Xmas then buy 3 or 4 players in Jan and make it a nice, boring midtable run in. 
  • Options
    I really hope the new owners don't look at our form and think a change is needed.
  • Options
    I really hope the new owners don't look at our form and think a change is needed.
    I know what you mean but i dont think we should worry. Their initial statement showed they know how important Lee is
  • Options
    Disappointing display but you can't fault the effort, Wednesday are very experienced at this level and came to win given our problems. 
  • Options
    Any side having to play kids with the squad numbers of 44, 45 and 46 will be up against it, and while we didn't play badly the defeat wasn't unexpected.

Frustrating defensive mistakes, they score from a header, have a goal disallowed from another header while should have scored from a 3rd header in the box which created a sitter, all in the first half. Indeed I was slightly surprised Pearce didn't play when Wednesday have 2 big and powerful centre forwards. And while others played well, stupid passes and losses of concentration could easily have resulted in more goals.

I'm annoyed with Lockyer though, he's getting far too many bookings for dissent - he got one for Wales in their last match as well - and is a big loss in a massive game next Saturday. You could see he was boiling over, someone on the pitch needed to calm him down before he got booked.
  • Options
    Bowyer has said they will back him and his team with contracts, the only change will be a few much needed players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure how people are seeing that as even game, they missed a sitter and Dillon pulled off 3 fantastic saves - did we trouble the keeper after our equaliser?

Down to the bare bones but there are some really silly mistakes being made by first team players, and we can't expect the kids to be able to win anything if the senior lads can't get the basics right.

We always seem to be struck down by injuries but this season is ridiculous. Both the sheer number and the amount of time it's taking players to get back is baffling. We were trying to work out how many had been injured in match day action and how many had been injured in training, does any body know?
    Spot on
  • Options
    The team that ended that game in terms of experience and ability is a lower half league one team at best. Credit to all the players for their effort and to the management team for instilling in this group the need to always work hard and give a good account. Is that our biggest deficit of the season?
    Doughty is an obvious plus. Will be an asset when played further forward as he was a danger in the attacking third. I thought Oshilaja and Oztumer did well today. For me Oz plays better with better players around him. His guile and touch needs those who are on a similar wavelength and at times it didn’t work out for him today.
    Bonne continues to impress with his attitude and positioning; another plus for us this season. Whilst Lockyer’s suspension is irritating, he has played every minute of every game and could do with the chance to recharge his batteries. 
    The game at Boro is a big one. I suspect Williams and Taylor will be on the bench but the following game could be the right one to get them back. If so it would be a real boost for us. Williams, Taylor, Gallacher and Lockyer playing together creates a much better spine for us.
    Results elsewhere went well for us today, let’s hope we can start to pull away from trouble.

• Options
    6 games between now and January, if we can some how get 10 points from that lot il be over the moon. 
  • Options
    At the match. Thought a 2 goal difference reflected the balance of play, so no complaints from me. We put out a L1 standard team who were committed and played as well as we could expect, they were beaten by a more experienced team. Apart from the last 20 minutes thought Sarr looked poor. Wednesday did a job on Oz who got no protection from a weak referee. 

Can’t see us picking up many points until we get some of our better players back. 

Still very happy that RD has gone and funny enough enjoyed the game. Bit weird I know.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    At the game

Bloody freezing second half. 

3-1 flattered them 

Leko back to his normal 5/10 performance.

We need two forward players with footballing brains. So many balls lost as Leko wasn't there to run onto Bonne's flicks.
    Freezing.
    I had to put suncream on me legs 
  • Options
    We seemed to match them for long periods of the game despite fielding our u23 and that is a massive credit to them and the management and they deservedly got clapped at the end.

Can even say they were unlucky as certain decisions seemed to go against us.

Does anyone know what Phillips was arguing about before he got  booked?
  • Options
    @Gammon here you go;
     Phillips was winding up penalty taker Fletcher who in turn got in his face and gave it back after he scored so Phillips then gave the ref some verbals and got booked. Verbals always a waste of a yellow and now Lockyer suspended. If you're going to get booked take one for the team 😈.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Well, today was a stark reminder of one of the reasons I stopped going to the Valley three years ago, awful football, as well as the Duche!
    So of course after Good Friday came early this year, it was inevitable it would all end in tears.
    Yes, injuries may be the culprit for today’s performance, shame because I’ve read so many good reports about the football I was missing and had been tempted to return on many occasions.
    I do think Wednesday were the better team, not by much and perhaps a draw might have been a decent result but not to be.
    I hope the watching Chairman wasn’t put off?
    But in the end and as the fans sung, ‘We’re Fucking Rich’ that in truth the result was irrelevant, the future not.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    @Gammon here you go;
     Phillips was winding up penalty taker Fletcher who in turn got in his face and gave it back after he scored so Phillips then gave the ref some verbals and got booked. Verbals always a waste of a yellow and now Lockyer suspended. If you're going to get booked take one for the team 😈.
    Cheers - we need to cut down on that side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any side having to play kids with the squad numbers of 44, 45 and 46 will be up against it, and while we didn't play badly the defeat wasn't unexpected.

Frustrating defensive mistakes, they score from a header, have a goal disallowed from another header while should have scored from a 3rd header in the box which created a sitter, all in the first half. Indeed I was slightly surprised Pearce didn't play when Wednesday have 2 big and powerful centre forwards. And while others played well, stupid passes and losses of concentration could easily have resulted in more goals.

I'm annoyed with Lockyer though, he's getting far too many bookings for dissent - he got one for Wales in their last match as well - and is a big loss in a massive game next Saturday. You could see he was boiling over, someone on the pitch needed to calm him down before he got booked.
    He was still rattling on straight after the yellow. Could easily have seen red.
  • Options
    A great effort by the lads... and they were lads. SW were bigger and stronger and yet the score line flattered them in the end 
  • Options

They are aware that today we had 14 players injured or sick. I'm sure Steve Gallen
    Would have mentioned it too Matt Southall.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Stig said:

He was still rattling on straight after the yellow. Could easily have seen red.
    Not a chance.
    Unless a player accuses a ref of taking a bung, there’s no way he’ll get a red for dissent. Even if booked earlier in the game it would be unusual.
    Lockyer simply got his money’s worth for the booking once he realised it was coming. I agree that getting a yellow was daft in the circumstances,  considering our injury situation, but continuing to moan had no detrimental effect and both Lockyer and the ref knew it.

Edit: Since quotes have been changed, for some reason, to a lighter grey text, it’s less clear which part of a quote is being referenced. I was referring to the chance of Lockyer getting a second yellow for continuing to complain about the ref’s decision. If you were wondering...
  • Options
    Lockyer went absolutely mental at the ref, definitely yellow card for dissent.  Understand why he did and would have done the same. Shame for him/us though
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Disagree that players aren't up to this level. Apart from injuries to experienced players, we are putting out teams with half side changing match by match and individuals swopping positions. 

Our main problem today was the lack of working the ball out from defence to MF to forwards. I think Oz was the only guy capable of this link play but he was sitting as a ten. Pratley can't dribble with the ball nor Osilaja, and Morgan was ill. Gallagher can link, as can Cullen and Kayal. Oz should have been there with Morgan 10.

Not sure why Kayal is out, he was unused sub for Israel a week ago, has he had a ruck with Bows? He is ideal and perhaps better to cover Cullen.

Worrying no senior players in U23 matches lately. Why only 5 on bench? Surely Wiredu and Maloney should be recalled rather than play Vennings? 
  • Options
    Disagree that players aren't up to this level. Apart from injuries to experienced players, we are putting out teams with half side changing match by match and individuals swopping positions. 

Our main problem today was the lack of working the ball out from defence to MF to forwards. I think Oz was the only guy capable of this link play but he was sitting as a ten. Pratley can't dribble with the ball nor Osilaja, and Morgan was ill. Gallagher can link, as can Cullen and Kayal. Oz should have been there with Morgan 10.

Not sure why Kayal is out, he was unused sub for Israel a week ago, has he had a ruck with Bows? He is ideal and perhaps better to cover Cullen.

Worrying no senior players in U23 matches lately. Why only 5 on bench? Surely Wiredu and Maloney should be recalled rather than play Vennings? 
    Kayal is injured (groin), it happened on international duty

Wiredu and Maloney are out on EFL loans and can't be recalled until January. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    You can recall from National league and below but aren't Wiredu and Maloney on loan at league clubs? Anyway Vennings did ok in the time he was on IMO.