Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff Wed | Sat 30 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Only watched the second half, but essentially we’ve just run out of players and hit the buffers as a result. 

We don’t always do well against big physical sides like Wednesday anyway. Add in all the youngsters and it gets worse. Then add in a referee who was far far too lenient with all Wednesday’s niggly fouling and we didn’t stand a chance. Ref was the worst I’ve seen for a while, even needed his Lino to give one of the clearest penalties you could wish to see. 

Missing our four best outfield players, plus a whole hospital ward full of others we needed two or three young players to really step up. Sadly only Alfie really had any kind of impact. Not criticizing any of them for that, btw, it’s not fair on them that they’re having to be chucked in like that.

Aside from the obvious restrictions on team selection, I think Bowyer needs to find a tactical tweak. At the moment, we look very vulnerable to teams switching the play. Particularly when they go from our left to our right. Even without moving the ball particularly quickly, the right back seems to be too easily isolated. We’re particularly vulnerable on the turnover and we are giving up possession in midfield too cheaply at the moment which only exposes this weakness further. That’s a function of the weakened team, but tactics need to change to account for that until we have the right players back. 

Dills not at fault for anything. We need two new full backs in January if there is money available. Matthews hasn’t convinced at all, and we just need another senior player available on the left side.

Sarr switched off once and got punished, but was otherwise solid and played some nice passes out of defence. Silly booking for Lockyer but I have sympathy with his frustration with an absolute twonk of a ref. Midfield looked slow and weak. Deji is like Sarr, looks great a lot of the time but prone to switching off in alarming positions. Ozzy clearly not fit and should’ve been off the pitch but that ‘tackle’ was moronic. He’s got clear talent but seems to need a very specific set of circumstances to really perform as he’s just too easily dominated physically and doesn’t have that extra half a yard of pace to get away from players like Williams does. Bonne toiled away again with no service and deserved a break for his goal after the way he’s played, without reward, these last few matches. Leko was the only real attacking spark but it was fits and burst and he just didn’t have the support.

Tough day at the office but with extenuating circumstances. Likely to be this way for a few matches yet. It should at least lay bare for the new owners that we need to get the cheque book out in January. 
  • Options
    Immense from the lads today. Penalty looked iffy today, was hoping we could hang on for a point. Can we get some loans in?
    Disagree with the penalty, was a stone wall for me, Oztumer was injured and tired and just put a poor challenge in
    This.
  • Options
    Pissed on our fireworks somewhat but we are really struggling with players. Need to stop the slide though.
  • Options
    Cant fault the effort of any of them out there. A draw would probably have been a fair result. 

So many players filling in positions their not suited to. No one on the bench who can change the game. Youngsters tried hard but had limited impact. We had 44,45 and 46 on the pitch at the end. 

Doughty looked good and caused them problems throughout. Was surprised to see him at left back but he looked good. Better going forward. Deserves to be considered for that role from now in. Probably my motm but Dills could also be in with a shout.
  • Options
    PWR 

With 13 players unavailable it was always going to be an uphill struggle given the patent lack of investment in the club. The Referee didn’t help either -

Providing the EFL don’t sit on their hands and the sale goes through, the January transfer window should see a change in fortunes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have never heard of James Vennings so yeah, not really a result you can expect much else from. Just wish we were having these injury issues against teams we should lose to anyway as the last 3 games have all been winnable against average opposition who are getting away with murder with the teams we're having to put out.

Has Doughty ever played left back before? Great performance by him considering. 
    Doughty was my MOM
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Ref was very poor, but it went both ways early on. After he didn’t give the penalty against Pratley, he definitely seemed to favor Wednesday with his decisions. But, in the end, he didn’t cost us the game, he was just f*****g irritating.
  • Options
    I dont care... the twat is gone!
  • Options
    What was the Attn:
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    We are there for the taking at the moment during this ridiculous injury crisis. Said it during the game and even though I hugely dislike the little shite, Bannon was the best player out there. Still not too disheartened as we know once we get players back we will be more competitive. How Fletcher didn’t get booked for having a pop at Phillips I will never know but I don’t think I am the only one who thought the referee was the worst down here. Very inconsistent. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    "So basically, Matt, they run up and down from that end to that one and try to kick that ball into the net. Then the other team try to do the same..."
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    "So basically, Matt, they run up and down from that end to that one and try to kick that ball into the net. Then the other team try to do the same..."

"Hmm. Who's the old guy dressing like a hipster?"

• Options
    shine166 said:9
    Immense from the lads today. Penalty looked iffy today, was hoping we could hang on for a point. Can we get some loans in?
    Kayel and Hamed have to be replaced 
    Only one is a loan, we own Hemed
  • Options
    Well thought our 3/4 goal thumpings were coming. So not shocked by the result. Surprised we were as competitive as we were.  However, that 11 would never win a game in this leauge. We are nil points until we get Championship quality players back in the side. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure how people are seeing that as even game, they missed a sitter and Dillon pulled off 3 fantastic saves - did we trouble the keeper after our equaliser?

Down to the bare bones but there are some really silly mistakes being made by first team players, and we can't expect the kids to be able to win anything if the senior lads can't get the basics right.

We always seem to be struck down by injuries but this season is ridiculous. Both the sheer number and the amount of time it's taking players to get back is baffling. We were trying to work out how many had been injured in match day action and how many had been injured in training, does any body know?
    I was speaking to a contact in the club almost a month ago about the injuries. Apparently its a high priority.Management and coaching  staff at the moment to work out if its bad luck or something doing wrong
  • Options
    Whos sitting left of new chairman?
  • Options
    Tried hard but we were outplayed and Phillips was kept busy. We are really suffering with injuries and some of our players today were out of their depth.

We're shipping goals and can't retain possession - need to start turning things around to stop this poor run of form.

Frustrating day but we can only get better once players return.
  • Options
    A very nice goal but generally we were second best. 
  • Options
    Was it Fox that crossed for their 1st goal? Very good cross and very good header
  • Options
    Whos sitting left of new chairman?
    Gallen