Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Derby County | Sat 19 Oct | 3pm KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Derby’s last loss in league was in August. So despite their league position, we did not beat a cupcake club. 

Question... who gets official credit for the win as manager? Since he was in the stands, I assume it is not Bowyer, right?
    The man who picks the team and the tactics was responsible, LB
  • Derby’s last loss in league was in August. So despite their league position, we did not beat a cupcake club. 

Question... who gets official credit for the win as manager? Since he was in the stands, I assume it is not Bowyer, right?
    Definitely Bowyer - managers choose to sit in the stands some times (I’m not sure why more don’t - the perspective of the match must be significantly better) it’s just that this time Bowyer didn’t have a choice !
  •  Not sure I can add much more but it was just a fantastic performance and we totally deserved a win by a comfortable margin. I actually felt relaxed after the second goal went in and I think I that’s the longest I’ve been able to watch a Charlton match without feeling constantly anxious that we’re about to mess things up, it was actually enjoyable! 

Of course it's Bowyer, he still manages the team.
  • Wowzer, wasn't expecting 3-0.

Every player was on their game today, some fantastic performances. Pratley as i've been saying for a long while is massively underrated and gives us something different and a true old pro, he knows what he needs to do in any given situation and puts his body on the line like i've not seen since a Steve Brown.

Gallagher just looks better every week, when that lad has 50-100 games under his belt he'll be top drawer premiership player and running the midfield for England. His body shape and whip on the shot for the goal i've not seen so effortless since Beckham.

Cullen just has so much energy, Kinsella style, sign him up in Jan.

Bonne took his goal well, there's a decent striker in there, really pleased for him.

Hard to fault anyone, long may these performances continue, we'll come up against better opposition that Derby proved today but that sort of fight and effort will win or draw more games than we'll lose.

Special mention for Naby, he still has that error and wayward pass in him, but glad it doesn't stop him trying, the pass to Williams was top drawer and really pleased for him to get a goal. Has there every been a player go from zero to hero quite like he has, love him.
  • My mother in law lost her battle with cancer in the early hours of this morning so this result has giving me a lift on what is a very sad day. Thanks chaps!
    Sorry to hear that.
  • 21 points down, 29 for safety.

34 games remaining 
  • edited October 2019
    My mother in law lost her battle with cancer in the early hours of this morning so this result has giving me a lift on what is a very sad day. Thanks chaps!
    Sorry to read that AUN.

All the best in learning to live with her loss and at least her suffering is over.
  • Sponsored links:

• My mother in law lost her battle with cancer in the early hours of this morning so this result has giving me a lift on what is a very sad day. Thanks chaps!
    Sorry to hear this AddickUpNorth!!... Hope your Wife is coping as best as possible
  • Sitting behind the goal in North Lower, we had the sun in our eyes as Cullen went to take the early second-half corner. We agreed high and looping was the best option and luckily Cullen obliged.

Also, just seen Bowyer's post match interview and enjoyed him tearing into a journalist that suggested maybe he used as different formation because of the 'poor results leading up to the international break.' Made me smile.
  • ross1 said:
    N01R4M said:
    How do we keep doing this on c.40% possession?

Well done CAFC!
    We always win when we have less possession
    England thrashed Australia with less possession this morning in the rugby.
    The only thing that matters is how sharp you are when you have the ball and how organized when you don't.

Derby were the poorest team to visit the valley this season and it was a comfortable victory. Losing Mount and Wilson, plus Lampard from last season meant the opposition lost their edge.

The Guinness book of records are going to include Derby in the worst ever bonding exercise after  Bennett and Lawrence just escaped Prison and Keogh is out till Xmas 2020.

A fantastic team performance today and  Sarr,  Pratley and Lockyer were superb in a back 3 today allowing Solly and JFC to play as wing backs, with Gallagher, Cullen and the underated Field to block out the mediocre mid field of County.
    Jonny Williams injury was surreal as he went down 5 seconds after his coming together. 
    Bonne is growing in confidence every week and I'm pleased I defended him at Wigan when some old fart was saying he was useless. 
    Lovely day to be a cafc fan.

• Great result and a commanding performance. Everyone had a good game. 

Williams was on the pitch talking to Beliek at the end, and didn't look like he had any strapping or hobbling too bad so fingers crossed he won't be missing for long

Wrong 

Wrong 
    77million reasons wrong...😉
  • PWR.  Well what a team we have!  Desire, confidence, energy and a never let up mentality!  Not a single poor performance (excepting the late subs who didn’t have enough time).  Two world class goals.  Atmosphere in the ground the best for years - each to their own but feel sorry for the absent protesters...can’t remember watching a better Charlton side.  Long may it continue.
  • Agree with Rob7Lee that Gallagher has England potential. Sarr is no longer cumbersome - he is sleeker and quicker, I think. What a player today! I thought Bonne was right footed but his goal was a left footed beauty. Games don't get much better than this. I think I am in Charlton Heaven!
  • Sponsored links:

• Fantastic team performance which made Derby look very ordinary. 
  • Quality performance, not only were we hungrier and sharper to the ball than Derby, we were better than them, and showed some real quality to go with the hard work. I was very disappointed with Derby, the signing of Rooney won't turn their season around by itself 

Really impressed with the improvement in Bonne, in Lyle's absence he is turning into an excellent deputy, as he gives us the movement that defenders hate. Including his slightly dubious first goal, he has now scored against Leeds, Fulham and Derby, an enormous contrast to who he was playing last season!

Pratley was superb again, really hard to describe his position, as sometimes he's the deepest centre back, other times more of a defensive midfielder. Indeed what was our formation today, and how did it change towards the end as JFC was left (wing) back for most of the game, but Naby was taking throws in the final few minutes, so was Naby then LB?

The injury to Williams was the only negative. I was surprised how long they tested his knee on the touchline, massaging it and giving him a couple of sprints to test it before they took him off.
  • mendonca said:
    Lovely bassist by JW and finish by Bonne!!
    Jaco Pastorius? Jack Bruce?
  • One thing that was very noticeable was we could attack with genuine incisive pace, and they didn't seem to be able to do anything without being too slow or deliberate. 
  • Leuth said:
    I don't understand Darren Pratley's career arc. Did he just have a superior twin brother stored in an isolation tank?
    “Living with yourself” on Netflix...
  • Wow, what a performance! Let's not hide our light under a bushel - We've roundly beaten a team who were in the Championship Play-Off Final last year.

Darren Pratley my MoM. However, you could make a case for several others, including young Conor Gallagher. What a huge talent Chelsea have on their hands here. The effort this lad puts in is just amazing.

Most things already said so I will just add a couple of points:-

1) Krystian Bielik looked a pale shadow of the player we had on loan last year. Maybe he wasn't properly fit. I always thought Arsenal did a wonderful piece of business getting £10m for him and today he looked hugely over-priced.

2) It's time we all stopped saying this season is just about staying up. It isn't. This team could easily be challenging for a play-off place next May. I know that January - when we will almost certainly lose Cullen and very probably one or two of the WBA loanees - could make this prediction look very silly but if we can get in a couple of similar loanees, who knows what this team can achieve.

3) And finally, love reading some of the early comments on the Macauley Bonne thread. One or two people with egg on their face me thinks. Anyone who has the knack of scoring is OK by me!