Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby County | Sat 19 Oct | 3pm KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Outstanding, truly outstanding. 
    What a bunch of lads we have and such a great time to be a CAFC fan. 
    Baby Beckham on the scoresheet with the goal of the season. 
    Good as that goal was, the first was even better.
    Agree.
    At the time of Conors goal, i thought....what a strike, but on watching the replay, i felt the goalie should have done much better with it.
    Not taking anything away from it, but thought the first goal was a much better team effort.
  • Options
    Just seen goals on Sky, 1st & 3rd really, really good, quite where the Derby defence were for Sarr's goal I do not know, all said & done a cracking performance & 3 points.  Looking forward to Wednesday now & Millscum away my next 2 matches in person.

Not forgetting of course England Rugby today - not a bad sporting day.
  • Options
    I thought they all played well but Pratley was outstanding.
  • Options
    Fantastic performance, full of endeavour, bloody hard work, skill and teamwork.

Three magnificent goals, the first a great team goal with a peach of a finish, the second a well rehearsed set piece and the third a wonderful piece of individual skill.

Brilliant was a privilege to be at the Valley today.
  • Options
    Brilliant performance, Pratley was outstanding and as for Gallagher, there cannot be a better CM in the league 
  • Options
    Well what a day.
    Starts well watching England win the Rugby. 
    Then off to the valley. 
    Met TCE before the game with his beautiful dogs.lovely to meet you Ray. 
    Then met Johnny Jackson which is always nice.
    Went into xbars for a couple and had a chat with Ricky Otto before joining up with my crowd.
    Onto the game itself I thought we were absolutely brilliant. 
    Young Coner is going to have a long career ahead of him at the highest level. Make the most of him while we can.
    Pratley just keeps getting better and better,can't wait to see how good he will be when he's 40.
    Phillips also is going to play in the premier league one day hopefully with us.
    The whole team deserves at least an 8 on the statistics thread. 
    All in all a brilliant day.cant wait till next Saturday when I'll be going to WBA. 
    Anyway night all have a good weekend. 
    Admit it, that was the highlight of the day! 
    It truly was.
    Love you mate x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did anyone hear a whistle just after the corner was taken for the second goal?

Swear I heard the referee blow so when Sarr nodded in I was a bit confused about it being given for a moment
  • Options
    That was alright wasn't it! So enjoyable watching this team. Thinking of stand out players today and simply too many. They can push for promotion depending on the transfer window in January. Into Bristol now. Hope Williams is ok.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Few comments from Cocu:

“It was a bad game. It confirms for me, again, that if we do not have a high level of desire, it makes it difficult to get a result.”

“We couldn’t create chances; we have to more aggressive. It wasn’t good enough.”

“It’s obvious that we are not focused enough. It’s decisive, in terms of the game. The only way to change it is to work.”

“You can talk about tactics or individual quality - I can only applaud the third goal - but it starts with how you enter the game, and today it wasn’t good enough.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/10/we-missed-something-extra-that-we-had-before-the-break

Interview with Curtis Davies (Didnt even realise he was playing!!)

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/10/davies-we-need-to-leave-this-one-behind-us-and-move-on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    Loved that. Prately...blimey. Gallagher what a goal.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Interesting piece from Cocu

You see that and I think they trained on it because there was the right moment to block on Kelle Roos and he couldn’t come out. There was the block in the middle and one player could come free and the ball arrived exactly at the second post, so this keeps our attention to improve for the set-pieces.”

Bet there is no "think" about it, wouldnt be surprised if it was something Bowyer spotted!!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dont know if this has already been posted

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/addicks-set-for-anxious-wait-before-extent-of-jonny-williams-knock-is-revealed-as-lee-bowyer-bemoans-charltons-recent-luck-with-injuries/

Sounds like Matthews was meant to play instead of Solly yet is now injured

Guess Oshilaja will be Right-Back on Wednesday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best 90 minutes for a long time , first half was good against Forest   , but this was the best this season.  Outplayed Derby whole game and I think we can play even better   . Kayal looked decent , but everyone was on it this afternoon with Pratley getting my MOM . It is a real joy watching Charlton ar the moment , can't wait for Bristol . 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pratley is Man of the Match for me. Gallagher is a machine and scored a beauty and it’s difficult to say who scored the better goal between his and Bonne. Williams was sublime before he picked up his injury and a lovely lay off for the opener. I thought Derby were the worst team we’ve played at the Valley and with a team that has players like Martin, Waghorn and Bielik I was expecting a tougher opposition that usually comes with Derby sides who have had a decent run against us in the past. 

• Options
    Blucher said:

A stupendous performance and one of the best I’ve seen from a Charlton side out of possession in recent years.  The shape was excellent, every runner was tracked and a big percentage of 50/50s were won against a side whose heads dropped noticeably after the Nabster’s early second half goal.

The fact that it took Derby 86 minutes to register a shot on target tells you all you need to know about the quality of our defensive play and the tenacity of the midfielders, who competed both ferociously and intelligently for every ball that came their way.

A lovely first goal, with an incisive ball down the line from Naby, a first time cross from Jonny Williams and a beautiful first time finish from Macauley Bonne. The Nabster’s header for the second seemed to take an age to reach the totally unguarded net but what a fantastic moment - and celebratory dance from the great man.

Connor Gallagher’s magnificent, curling strike was truly the cherry on the cake and deservedly brought the house down. What a talent this fellow is.

I did wonder why Lee Bowyer had omitted Jason Pearce after his fine performance last week but all became clear, with only the prima donna Martin loitering up front for Derby and the benefits of a 3-5-2 formation soon became apparent. Plenty of possession for Derby in the first half - and no end of sideways passing -  but absolutely zero goal threat.

When they tried to take it to us in the second half, they were unable to penetrate a defence superbly marshalled by Pratters - an absolute titan - Solly and Lockyer (whose positional sense and anticipation is quite something).

Cullen, Gallagher and Field were excellent in midfield, while Bonne had another fine game up front. 

Whatever Derby’s shortcomings - and it was a flaccid offering from them - this was a tremendous and memorable performance from our lads.

All we need now is a new owner to secure Lee Bowyer and our other prized assets in order to stabilise and move this great club forward.

He had a slight injury
  • Options
    Derby’s last loss in league was in August. So despite their league position, we did not beat a cupcake club. 

Question... who gets official credit for the win as manager? Since he was in the stands, I assume it is not Bowyer, right?