Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    Blucher said:
    I went to the Hull city match when Johnson and Williams played as the two CB.  After the 80th minute when Hull Scored their 6th and final goal, just before they declared !
    From the top of my Soapbox, yelled out 7-6, we're going to win 7-6. That was in my drinking days and mistakingly  thought I was at Wimbledon and we would win on a tie break.
    I'm afraid that I saw that one as well. One of the worst - if not the worst - defensive performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team. A good overnight trip though
    Could be worse mate. I went to both that 6-0 defeat at Hull that weekend and the 5-0 defeat at Huddersfield a few days earlier on the Tues. Questioned my life at the end of that week!
    Please tell me you didn’t go to Colchester the Saturday before. A test of anyone’s mental fortitude 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Southbank said:
    Lockyer and Aneke both look like signings planned for League 1, both untested at Championship level. The quality of the eventual loanees will be crucial.
    Don't see the problem here.

Firstly if they were proven at Championship level, they wouldn't be coming to us because a dozen other sides would pay more.

Secondly, it seems that Bowyer is doing what Curbs used to do. Sign players who have been decent in the league below who are fairly young and are hungry to prove themselves at a higher level. 
    He did that with Kinsella and Jensen. Any others ? 
  • Options
    My only fear us that we are only signing players that are free and/or will accept our wage structure.......meaning that we dont actually have a squad that we can build a proper team from & end up with a disjointed 11 every week. 
  • Options
    My only fear us that we are only signing players that are free and/or will accept our wage structure.......meaning that we dont actually have a squad that we can build a proper team from & end up with a disjointed 11 every week. 
    We are bargain shopping but I trust LB and Gallen to get most of them right.  If we stay up, it’s a miracle 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Lockyer and Aneke both look like signings planned for League 1, both untested at Championship level. The quality of the eventual loanees will be crucial.

Firstly if they were proven at Championship level, they wouldn't be coming to us because a dozen other sides would pay more.

Secondly, it seems that Bowyer is doing what Curbs used to do. Sign players who have been decent in the league below who are fairly young and are hungry to prove themselves at a higher level. 
    There were other championship clubs interested in Lockyer and Aneke (and Bonne I think)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Blucher said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:

Kinsella actually managed to jump two divisions and then effortlessly transitioned to the Premier League - what a player.

As well as Jensen, The Curbs also took Fish and Todd from Bolton, both of whom were excellent signings. I’m sure there were others
    Clive Mendonca | Steve Brown | John Robinson | Keith Jones | Chris Powell | Dean Kiely

A lot of players were signed from a league or from a team that finished below us when Curbs was in charge
    Who was Steve Brown signed from? Derby had been in the prem for 2 years when they sold us Powell.  Keith Jones had played about 300 games in the top 3, including the top, divisions before signing for us.

Todd and Fish had both had a good run in the premier league before we bought them.  To be honest them, Jensen, Holland and Herman weren't dissimilar to us "poaching" Bolton players now.  Iirc though Bolton lost the 3 we bought and Eider Gudjohnson and then got promoted!! 

Better examples would be Hunt, Bent, Youds and Royce IMO

To be honest though not many players sign for teams that finish below their current club if their career is on a positive incline. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Blucher said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:

Kinsella actually managed to jump two divisions and then effortlessly transitioned to the Premier League - what a player.

As well as Jensen, The Curbs also took Fish and Todd from Bolton, both of whom were excellent signings. I’m sure there were others
    Clive Mendonca | Steve Brown | John Robinson | Keith Jones | Chris Powell | Dean Kiely

A lot of players were signed from a league or from a team that finished below us when Curbs was in charge
    Who was Steve Brown signed from? Derby had been in the prem for 2 years when they sold us Powell.  Keith Jones had played about 300 games in the top 3, including the top, divisions before signing for us.

Todd and Fish had both had a good run in the premier league before we bought them.  To be honest them, Jensen, Holland and Herman weren't dissimilar to us "poaching" Bolton players now.  Iirc though Bolton lost the 3 we bought and Eider Gudjohnson and then got promoted!! 

Better examples would be Hunt, Bent, Youds and Royce IMO

To be honest though not many players sign for teams that finish below their current club if their career is on a positive incline. 
    Whitehawk

True about Chris Powell; for some reason thought we signed him from Southend
  • Options
    From memory, I think that Mendonca and Deano were signed from Grimsby and Bury respectively just after those teams were relegated from the second tier We went on to achieve promotion from that level in both seasons.

Thus it ever was - feeding off the misery of others and especially the relegated sides. Dog eat dog. Maybe we can continue the tradition by signing Oztumer. Part of the sales pitch can be that “Our owner is shit - but at least he pays the wages every month.” All things are relative and it must have been terrible for everyone at Bolton, wondering if any money was going to materialise each month.

Rotherham’s manager is putting a brave face on it but he is clearly very keen to unload Ben Purrington and is trying to stimulate interest from clubs other than Charlton to ease up any fee. Ajayi is also certain to be on the move, by the looks of it but he is likely to command a significant fee.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Is Michael Morrison a viable option.

Out of contract at Birmingham, 31 and an experienced and proven league one defender.

No idea what money he is on but Jacko might have his phone number.
    Good call. He's a warrior and would be a really good acquisition but I can't see him accepting a contract at what we're apparently offering - plus he'll doubtless remember the absurd attempt by Duchatelet/Katrien/Peeters/Little Tommy to shift him off to some Romanian team we've never heard of before or since.

Such an intelligent move on their part to release Morro to Birmingham for nothing when we had Ben Haim on a one year contract, The Beast - who had a recent history of performing for half a season - and Joe Gomez, who was always likely to leave at the end of the season, particularly in the light of Katrien's paltry £3.5million release clause. Forward planning has never been the regime's strongest suit, although moving Morro on was, of course, entirely consistent with Duchatelet's philosophy of a skeletal squad and maximising the exposure of Academy products in the shop window. As the great Karel Fraeye - bafflingly unemployed after leaving Lommel United bottom of the table in October 2016 - once memorably informed us: " You only need 11 players and 7 on the bench". 

Plus, our dearth of central defenders meant we also got to sign and re-sign the great Roger Johnson and to see him and the crocked Rhys Williams perform in tandem.

I went to the Hull city match when Johnson and Williams played as the two CB.  After the 80th minute when Hull Scored their 6th and final goal, just before they declared !
    From the top of my Soapbox, yelled out 7-6, we're going to win 7-6. That was in my drinking days and mistakingly  thought I was at Wimbledon and we would win on a tie break.
    4-0 at half-time

Hull turned in as much as we were shocking.  They could easily have reached 10.

Cracking day out though.
    I remember that Saturday when you met up with me and your mate from Goxhill in that nice Hull pub rammed with very pleasant Ull fans ..  this was the same week we had  conceded 5 at Huddersfield the previous Tuesday ( as @OhEddie Youds says) .. Hull were a very formidable side that season .. Harry Maguire, Robert Snodgrass and all and Huddersfield were starting to develop their eventual promotion winning side .. we on the other hand nosedived into relegation .. BUT WE ARE BACK !!!!!!!
    Yep, remember it well.

Hull were Barcelona in amber that day.

Did you get a round in that day mate?!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We are bargain shopping but I trust LB and Gallen to get most of them right.  If we stay up, it’s a miracle 
    I actually feel quite confident we will stay up now Bowyer and Gallen have signed new deals. We are so lucky to have them. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Blucher said:
    Is Michael Morrison a viable option.

Out of contract at Birmingham, 31 and an experienced and proven league one defender.

No idea what money he is on but Jacko might have his phone number.
    Good call. He's a warrior and would be a really good acquisition but I can't see him accepting a contract at what we're apparently offering - plus he'll doubtless remember the absurd attempt by Duchatelet/Katrien/Peeters/Little Tommy to shift him off to some Romanian team we've never heard of before or since.

Such an intelligent move on their part to release Morro to Birmingham for nothing when we had Ben Haim on a one year contract, The Beast - who had a recent history of performing for half a season - and Joe Gomez, who was always likely to leave at the end of the season, particularly in the light of Katrien's paltry £3.5million release clause. Forward planning has never been the regime's strongest suit, although moving Morro on was, of course, entirely consistent with Duchatelet's philosophy of a skeletal squad and maximising the exposure of Academy products in the shop window. As the great Karel Fraeye - bafflingly unemployed after leaving Lommel United bottom of the table in October 2016 - once memorably informed us: " You only need 11 players and 7 on the bench". 

Plus, our dearth of central defenders meant we also got to sign and re-sign the great Roger Johnson and to see him and the crocked Rhys Williams perform in tandem.

4-0 at half-time

Hull turned in as much as we were shocking.  They could easily have reached 10.

Cracking day out though.
    Daughter lives in Hull and went with her and her boyfriend.

He was so confident we would win he put £20 on us for 2-0. I did tell him I'd double the odds of the bookmaker, but he wouldn't have it.

I hope he don't gamble much.
  • Options
    Lockyer and Aneke , like most of the current squad are unproven at Championship level . Lee Bowyer must see potential in them  , and I am confident his man management skills will get the best out of them . Midfield must be his focus now . 
    But Lockyer is an international defender 
  • Options
    Greenwich Park looking down on where I used to play footie as a teenager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had shivers down my spine remembering cross country runs when at Roan...
  • Options
    Greenwich Park looking down on where I used to play footie as a teenager.
    Represented my school there in cross country v Roan, great views but bloody knackering terrain though. 😅
  • Options
    I got caught cheating in one of those by Bernie Turner.
    We used to only run half way down, when out of sight and then half way back up, until he caught me :-(
  • Options
    He does come from Greenwich.

• Options
    Hope it wasn't you who tripped me up Soapy.  >:) If it was............ ;)

• Options
    I would have Purrington back in that squad. Not sure he beats a fully fit Lewis Page into the left back berth but he is a consistent performer to have in the squad. Another alternative could be the kid Wimbledon had on loan to replace him, seddon. They raved about him 
    Purrington won me over last season as I wasn't convinced when he first joined us. Always solid defensively but kept getting better as an attacking force culminating in his Wembley goal. Seems a good character and robust physically too, he played 51 games last season which is more than any of our other players did
  • Options
    I got caught cheating in one of those by Bernie Turner.
    We used to only run half way down, when out of sight and then half way back up, until he caught me :-(
    Very good footballer was Bernie, had the odd beer with him in my youth, same age as me and friend of a friend. 
  • Options
    We would not have been able to acquire Chuks or Lockyer if we had stayed in league 1. That's a fact. Lockyer picked us because he wants to play for a championship side and knows he can be a main stay in this team to be on Ryan Giggs radar for Wales. Aneke chose us because he's too good for league 1 and 2 and needs to challenge himself. There is no doubt in my mind of that. So to say they are league 1 targets is wide of the mark. Aneke has been a talent for years and Lockyer was one of the best centre backs in league1 last year. Both would be in a promotion chasing side in league1 so who's to say they can't make the step up. 

I am genuinely very surprised and happy we have got two players as promising as these offering poor wages. Shows how important promotion was and more than anything keeping Bowyer. 
    Totally agree but how does anybody know what were paying them that could all be rubbish for all we know !!
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Blucher said:
    I'm afraid that I saw that one as well. One of the worst - if not the worst - defensive performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team. A good overnight trip though
    Could be worse mate. I went to both that 6-0 defeat at Hull that weekend and the 5-0 defeat at Huddersfield a few days earlier on the Tues. Questioned my life at the end of that week!
    Please tell me you didn’t go to Colchester the Saturday before. A test of anyone’s mental fortitude 
    Guilty as a puppy 🐶 sitting next to a pile of poo.