Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    Is Michael Morrison a viable option.

Out of contract at Birmingham, 31 and an experienced and proven league one defender.

No idea what money he is on but Jacko might have his phone number.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of MM, we had 3 better center backs when he left, we certainly don't now.  Not sure bower would be keen as he looked very awkward when trying to play out from the back under Peters.  

I would take him on a free to replace Pearce in the squad though. 
  • Options
    Maybe Oztumer has already signed a contract, but because of all the difficulties and irregularities are Bolton, he and the club have to wait to confirm this until his existing contract expires at midnight on 30 June. Just a thought.
    By all accounts, according to his interview, he hasn't been paid in months.

If that's the case, surely he can walk away any time he wants?

Also, I imagine his bosses at the moment are the administrators at Bolton. So, I can't see them holding him back. The sooner he's off their books, the better.

I think he will sign, he may even be flying out to Spain with the rest of the squad (there's no way the club could announce that, he's still a Bolton contracted player), but there may still be a bit of work to do before it can be officially announced.
    if he's owed money, it's likely that he's hanging around in the hope of getting paid .. eventually .. walking out could be construed as a breach of contract .. could be, as you said, June 30 is a crucial date. From that date presumably he no longer a Notlob employee
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Scoham said:
    I wasn’t sure about Dijksteel at right back in the longer term, but he’s grown into the role and was starting to look more dangerous going forward. I can see him staying at right back and continuing to get better.
    He was learning the role and still is. But the lad is a quick learner. Free transfers are not free and Bowyer and his team have to duck and dive to get the right players in. We are in very safe hands. The only problem is, if he does the job we know he can do, we might have a real job keeping hold of him next season.

In terms of your contract - surely the contract is broken if you are not paid!
  • Options
    Haven't read all earlier posts, but today on Google UK news,
    Jonny Williams going to Spain for training with Charlton.
    Would be fantastic if we could sign him for another season!
  • Options
    I think Oztumer will definitely happen (no insider info lol just based on what everyone’s been saying). After that I just think we need another keeper (Amos), another left back (Purrington), a holding midfielder (Bielik), a centre mid (Cullen), a number 10 to compete with Oztumer (Williams) and a quick striker (Nketiah). Then I will be very optimistic. That is a DREAM scenario though
    Isn't the number 10 role going to be Aneke?
    William's can also play on the left side of the diamond and replace Aribo.

Whilst Oztumer, Albie Morgan and Aneke cover the number 10 role.

Cullen to come back into the right of the diamond (competing with Lapslie).

Whilst JFC & Pratley compete for the holding role.
    We might currently have a priority of quantity over quality, remembering the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday slog. Our first eleven's have always been ok under helmet.
  • Options

Out of contract at Birmingham, 31 and an experienced and proven league one defender.

I think the problem with Morrison, considering Birmingham being done under FFP last season, would be wages...
  • Options

Good call. He's a warrior and would be a really good acquisition but I can't see him accepting a contract at what we're apparently offering - plus he'll doubtless remember the absurd attempt by Duchatelet/Katrien/Peeters/Little Tommy to shift him off to some Romanian team we've never heard of before or since.

Such an intelligent move on their part to release Morro to Birmingham for nothing when we had Ben Haim on a one year contract, The Beast - who had a recent history of performing for half a season - and Joe Gomez, who was always likely to leave at the end of the season, particularly in the light of Katrien's paltry £3.5million release clause. Forward planning has never been the regime's strongest suit, although moving Morro on was, of course, entirely consistent with Duchatelet's philosophy of a skeletal squad and maximising the exposure of Academy products in the shop window. As the great Karel Fraeye - bafflingly unemployed after leaving Lommel United bottom of the table in October 2016 - once memorably informed us: " You only need 11 players and 7 on the bench". 

Plus, our dearth of central defenders meant we also got to sign and re-sign the great Roger Johnson and to see him and the crocked Rhys Williams perform in tandem.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Yes absolutely but probably if we're playing with three centre backs. Not that I'm questioning if Morrison would get in the team it's just he and Lockyer would surely be competing for one place alongside Sarr / Pearce?
    Bowyer does like the right foot/left foot balance but it wouldn't be the first time two right footers were paired together. If we did have those 4 centre backs I'd be extremely happy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I wasn’t sure about Dijksteel at right back in the longer term, but he’s grown into the role and was starting to look more dangerous going forward. I can see him staying at right back and continuing to get better.
    This ^
    It reached a point last season where I was no longer worried that Solly wasn't fit as I had total confidence in Dijksteel.
    Wasn't the case previously.

at Wembley Dijk had a blinder .. he now has all the confidence in the world .. almost certainly a huge part of that is down to our superb management team's man management
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I know I’m 2 hours ahead here in Kefalonia but time is running out for LBs 3 or 4 signings today!!
    Some lad. I’m in Kefalonia too! Spent the last 2 days in Scala and now I’m over in Lixouri
    I’m in Lassi I can see Lixouri from my sunbed. Waving!!!👋🏻
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Good call. He's a warrior and would be a really good acquisition but I can't see him accepting a contract at what we're apparently offering - plus he'll doubtless remember the absurd attempt by Duchatelet/Katrien/Peeters/Little Tommy to shift him off to some Romanian team we've never heard of before or since.

Such an intelligent move on their part to release Morro to Birmingham for nothing when we had Ben Haim on a one year contract, The Beast - who had a recent history of performing for half a season - and Joe Gomez, who was always likely to leave at the end of the season, particularly in the light of Katrien's paltry £3.5million release clause. Forward planning has never been the regime's strongest suit, although moving Morro on was, of course, entirely consistent with Duchatelet's philosophy of a skeletal squad and maximising the exposure of Academy products in the shop window. As the great Karel Fraeye - bafflingly unemployed after leaving Lommel United bottom of the table in October 2016 - once memorably informed us: " You only need 11 players and 7 on the bench". 

Plus, our dearth of central defenders meant we also got to sign and re-sign the great Roger Johnson and to see him and the crocked Rhys Williams perform in tandem.

I went to the Hull city match when Johnson and Williams played as the two CB.  After the 80th minute when Hull Scored their 6th and final goal, just before they declared !
    From the top of my Soapbox, yelled out 7-6, we're going to win 7-6. That was in my drinking days and mistakingly  thought I was at Wimbledon and we would win on a tie break.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I went to the Hull city match when Johnson and Williams played as the two CB.  After the 80th minute when Hull Scored their 6th and final goal, just before they declared !
    From the top of my Soapbox, yelled out 7-6, we're going to win 7-6. That was in my drinking days and mistakingly  thought I was at Wimbledon and we would win on a tie break.
    Ha ha, my grandson was mascot that day, that was a long journey home!
  • Options
    I'm afraid that I saw that one as well. One of the worst - if not the worst - defensive performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team. A good overnight trip though
  • Options
    Lockyer and Aneke both look like signings planned for League 1, both untested at Championship level. The quality of the eventual loanees will be crucial.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:
    Blucher said:

Ha ha, my grandson was mascot that day, that was a long journey home!
    One blessing being you got to the game on time.....due to me.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

4-0 at half-time

Hull turned in as much as we were shocking.  They could easily have reached 10.

Cracking day out though.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Lockyer and Aneke both look like signings planned for League 1, both untested at Championship level. The quality of the eventual loanees will be crucial.
    At one point does someone who’s got a wealth of experience in league one make the step up then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Blucher said:
    I'm afraid that I saw that one as well. One of the worst - if not the worst - defensive performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team. A good overnight trip though
    Could be worse mate. I went to both that 6-0 defeat at Hull that weekend and the 5-0 defeat at Huddersfield a few days earlier on the Tues. Questioned my life at the end of that week!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Do they? - Id say they're the type of signing that have proven their worth in League One and are now trying to make the step themselves, of course because they've not played at this level they're a risk but thats the budget we've been dealt with

Had we not been promoted I reckon they'd have gone to other Championship sides
    Realistically promoted sides will sign  a mix of the best players from lower leagues who want to step up, a few experienced journeyman players from the new division plus young loanees from a higher division. It would be really hard for a newly promoted side to buy the best players from their new league unless they were incredibly rich
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Blucher said:

4-0 at half-time

Cracking day out though.
    I remember that Saturday when you met up with me and your mate from Goxhill in that nice Hull pub rammed with very pleasant Ull fans ..  this was the same week we had  conceded 5 at Huddersfield the previous Tuesday ( as @OhEddie Youds says) .. Hull were a very formidable side that season .. Harry Maguire, Robert Snodgrass and all and Huddersfield were starting to develop their eventual promotion winning side .. we on the other hand nosedived into relegation .. BUT WE ARE BACK !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

4-0 at half-time

Cracking day out though.
    Daughter lives in Hull and went with her and her boyfriend.

He was so confident we would win he put £20 on us for 2-0. I did tell him I'd double the odds of the bookmaker, but he wouldn't have it.

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Eddie Nketiah from arsenal on a season loan happening tomorrow  
    I hope this is true is it reliable mate ??
    Yes straight from the horse mouth 
    So what happened then ?
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    We have a few untested at Championship level, Philips, Dijksteel, Taylor, Page, Morgan, Lapslie, let's see how they cope before writing them off. 
  • Options
    Purrington is available, and Rotherham may also sell Ajayi if someone meets their valuation.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/sport/view,rotherham-united-tell-ben-purrington-he-can-leave-for-right-price-as-they-h_32601.htm

Since RD won't pay any more fees I can only see Purrington coming back if the takeover finally gets done.
  • Options
    Lockyer and Aneke , like most of the current squad are unproven at Championship level . Lee Bowyer must see potential in them  , and I am confident his man management skills will get the best out of them . Midfield must be his focus now . 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Purrington is available, and Rotherham may also sell Ajayi if someone meets their valuation.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/sport/view,rotherham-united-tell-ben-purrington-he-can-leave-for-right-price-as-they-h_32601.htm

Since RD won't pay any more fees I can only see Purrington coming back if the takeover finally gets done.
    Yes we will. Not big fees of course, but then Purrington wouldn't cost much seeing that they only paid 300k for him. I imagine 200k would clinch him if Bowyer wants him, which is what we paid for Bonne
    I was going off what Richard Cawley said, he thought Bonne would be the only player we’d pay a fee for.