Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    With the possibility that 69/70 points will make the playoffs , we are all but there. Bowyers task will be to take an in form team in to the playoffs who are fit and ready to go. Good chance Aribo, Cullen, Beilik and Taylor will be wrapped in cotton wall towards the end of the season. Difficult job to keep the form going and rest top players. 

I would like to play Pompey in the final, we always beat them. Mind you, we have never been beaten by Sunderland in a play off final either.

A couple of important things. We can’t make the top two, and Grant has gone. Let’s move on. 
  • Options
    I saw Taylor was booked so does that mean he's got to serve a suspension? 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Sage said:
    Since the very strong rumours of Grant leaving and him actually leaving, we have failed to score in 4 of our last 9 games. Scoring only 8 goals in that time.

Prior to those rumours and Grant leaving, we failed to score in only 3 of the previous 29 games, two of which coming in August. That means we had failed to score only once in our previous 24 games, away at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty.

I said at the time how much we would miss Grant, how many points he won for us, how his goals directly won us an additional 18 points. And I got laughed at and took the criticism. People thought we wouldn’t miss him that much or whatever else.

I am certain that if Grant were still here we would have an extra 4 points at least, as he would have scored probably a further 3 or 4 goals let’s say. That’s the difference between settling for a play-off position and fighting it out for automatics.

I know that it’s gone and this is the post match thread, of which I believe we played okay all things considered, but it is true we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals. There is a big reason for that and he scored twice for Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.

With Grant at the club we averaged 1.62 goals per game. Since the partnership of Grant and Taylor was broken and the strong possibility of Grant leaving happened, we have averaged 0.88 goals per game. The same goes for our points per game ratio, 1.83 per game with Grant, 1.55 without. Huge difference.
    He was our top scorer - of course we were going to miss him. But the point was, he was replacable, it is simply a case that he was not replaced. When it was clear he would not be replaced, I do not recall anybody saying we won't miss him.
    On his wages and for £1.5m I'm not sure he was replaceable.
    If only we’d have kept hold of Vaz Te  ;)
    If only Roland could have spared £700k... we could have bought Polish Pete!
    Think Kermorgant was even cheaper 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I saw Taylor was booked so does that mean he's got to serve a suspension? 
    No, the Burton game was the game he had to survive without a yellow.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Since the very strong rumours of Grant leaving and him actually leaving, we have failed to score in 4 of our last 9 games. Scoring only 8 goals in that time.

Prior to those rumours and Grant leaving, we failed to score in only 3 of the previous 29 games, two of which coming in August. That means we had failed to score only once in our previous 24 games, away at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty.

I said at the time how much we would miss Grant, how many points he won for us, how his goals directly won us an additional 18 points. And I got laughed at and took the criticism. People thought we wouldn’t miss him that much or whatever else.

I am certain that if Grant were still here we would have an extra 4 points at least, as he would have scored probably a further 3 or 4 goals let’s say. That’s the difference between settling for a play-off position and fighting it out for automatics.

I know that it’s gone and this is the post match thread, of which I believe we played okay all things considered, but it is true we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals. There is a big reason for that and he scored twice for Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.

With Grant at the club we averaged 1.62 goals per game. Since the partnership of Grant and Taylor was broken and the strong possibility of Grant leaving happened, we have averaged 0.88 goals per game. The same goes for our points per game ratio, 1.83 per game with Grant, 1.55 without. Huge difference.
    He was our top scorer - of course we were going to miss him. But the point was, he was replacable, it is simply a case that he was not replaced. When it was clear he would not be replaced, I do not recall anybody saying we won't miss him.
    This is Roland’s Charlton. It was clear he wouldn’t be properly replaced the moment he was sold. I knew we’d get someone in but was never convinced we’d get two strikers, neither did I expect any new player to be as successful as Grant.
  • Options
    we are boring (yawn style not holes in wood or concrete) our way into the play offs .. so far so good but more will be needed to win a two legged cup final for promotion.
    I am sure it can be done .. we will see
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

This is Roland’s Charlton. It was clear he wouldn’t be properly replaced the moment he was sold. I knew we’d get someone in but was never convinced we’d get two strikers, neither did I expect any new player to be as successful as Grant.
    Roland made it clear with his recent Statement that he doesnt want promotion to the Championship, was never going to be replaced on that basis; in a way the best way to make him sell is to hope the club get promoted as am sure he wont get to make even more of a loss in what he calls a "financial graveyard"
  • Options
    Thanks @PeterGage for the drop ball clarification, that all makes much more sense, every day is a school day! 
  • Options
    Would be good to have a post match view thread with comments from people at the game
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Would be good to have a post match view thread with comments from people at the game
    A lot of us would have seen the game via iFollow though from home...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Redhenry said:
    Because of memory issues caused by alcohol and drugs very few of them can remember the game  :o
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Conditions stopped any chance of a football match taking place, we were marginally better when we had the ball but just lacked that final cutting edge, Dillon's save in the first half was superb. The ref seemed to give some bizarre decisions today, both sides benefited/suffered from them but good to see some 'old style drop balls' in stead of this modern kick it back to them nonsense.  

Strange atmosphere in the ground, @charltonnick's idea to walk back to the station 'its only 20 minutes' was not his best  especially when I checked and my ticket was from Bristol Parkway, anyway no-one checked it and had a good chat all the way back with the odd sing song to help dry us out. 

Was nice meeting you yesterday. 
    Am pleased you avoided the punch up in The Wellington yesterday mate.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Conditions stopped any chance of a football match taking place, we were marginally better when we had the ball but just lacked that final cutting edge, Dillon's save in the first half was superb. The ref seemed to give some bizarre decisions today, both sides benefited/suffered from them but good to see some 'old style drop balls' in stead of this modern kick it back to them nonsense.  

Strange atmosphere in the ground, @charltonnick's idea to walk back to the station 'its only 20 minutes' was not his best  especially when I checked and my ticket was from Bristol Parkway, anyway no-one checked it and had a good chat all the way back with the odd sing song to help dry us out. 

I had a front row seat sipping my pint watching it all unfold, until pints started getting thrown 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Only caught second half - Djksteel seemed to be playing attacking football did he have a poor first half?
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I had a front row seat sipping my pint watching it all unfold, until pints started getting thrown 
    What a waste of £4
  • Options
    We are not good enough to get promoted based on our 46 game season. The good news is we are going to have an opportunity in what is essentially a mini tournament. That is our focus now and the team selection showed it is Bowyers too. I still don’t think he knows our best team and between now and the play offs players like Reeves, Igor and Parker will get time to show they can win us that ‘tournament’. 
  • Options
    We are not good enough to get promoted based on our 46 game season. The good news is we are going to have an opportunity in what is essentially a mini tournament. That is our focus now and the team selection showed it is Bowyers too. I still don’t think he knows our best team and between now and the play offs players like Reeves, Igor and Parker will get time to show they can win us that ‘tournament’. 
    Hopefully Bowyer will have learnt from last seasons woeful performance.
  • Options
    Someone elaborate on what happened in the boozer
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    razil said:
    Only caught second half - Djksteel seemed to be playing attacking football did he have a poor first half?
    ATM , I thought he was good all game, shows a lot more confidence going forward then Solly, One of our few players who was consistently taking on defenders and putting balls in towards the goal. Pratley also put in a good shift and is important in these physical encounters. It wasn’t a Reeves kind of game but he still threaded a ball in ,for one of our best chances. The guy next to me spent the whole first half berating him with hate filled gusto. Why do supporters travel to matches just to be angry at their own players ?? 
  • Options
    Just started watching Breaking Bad , Reeves reminds me of Jesse Pinkman 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happens in Bristol stays  in Bristol  steve
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I wish you'd stay in Bristol.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I wish you'd stay in Bristol.
    Due to unforseen circumstances I was unable to make the trip
  • Options
    It was all "normal" then some puny little Rovers fans, that barely looked 18 started singing.
    Charlton out sung them and were both sides of them, all seemed friendly enough.
    Then one of the Rovers kid threw a pint (contents not glass) over one of ours who threw one back (not the glass).
    Then there was a mini punch up and some Charlton fan picked up a chair which he sort of pushed/threw at them.
    They were all ushered out/asked to leave. (It was in The Wellington).
  • Options
    It was all "normal" then some puny little Rovers fans, that barely looked 18 started singing.
    Then one of the Rovers kid threw a pint (contents not glass) over one of ours who threw one back (not the glass).
    Then there was a mini punch up and some Charlton fan picked up a chair which he sort of pushed/threw at them.
    Grass
  • Options
    The Red Division have reformed it would seem.
  • Options
    I hope it was a white plastic garden chair. Proper fight.
  • Options
    Would someone like to criticise Dillon's kicking today? I'm assuming that's the reason we didn't win.
    I thought some of Dillon's kicking was a bit poor.  With better kicking at one end of the pitch, I'm sure we'd have got all three points at the other end of the pitch.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Sage said:

On his wages and for £1.5m I'm not sure he was replaceable.
    If only we’d have kept hold of Vaz Te  ;)
    You bastard.  I'd forgotten about that waste of space and now my Sunday's ruined by not being able to get his "performances" out of my head.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Because of memory issues caused by alcohol and drugs very few of them can remember the game  :o
    Because of a lack of alcohol and other drugs, I can remember all too much of the game.