Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    We don't miss Grant at all.

Is that your Henry Irving double portion of Irony impression ?
  • Options
    Play offs for the second year running under a rookie manager is pretty good - when you think what a basket case we have been under all previous managers since SCP.

It’s a shame that ultimately what will cost us is we’ll be still owned by the delusional fool who will probably mess up LB/JJ’s contract talks and leave us fielding a squad of about 6 players next season. Whether we get promoted or not.
  • Options
    Main shoot out looks to be between us and Pompey to see who gets the home leg first. Thought Anthony had great game at right back 
  • Options
    Just back on the train waiting to go now. 

Not much to say really horrible ground just a bit a bit better than Wimbledon. 

Weather made it hard for football to be played and as such we went more direct than normal which ain’t our game really. 

Bit of trouble in the the pub before the game which all seemed a bit pointless 
  • Options
    First time to the Memorial Ground. Very rudimentary. Difficult to generate any atmosphere. They had about 7 different stands.  Reminded me of Milmoor, but far far worse. 

Match ruined by wind. Second half had rain blowing into us. Charlton technically far superior, but wind was a complete leveller. Ref was utter shite in my opinion. 

First extended exploration of Bristol for me and it is a very weird mix. Elements of Fulham, Portsmouth, Shoreditch, and Burnley all mashed together. And that yokel accent.....Jesus.

• Options
    The conditions were a great leveller, the more so as the game wore on. At the end I was happy with a point. Aribo made a big difference when he came on. He was the direct player that had been missing. With him there from the beginning we may have won that by half time as Bristol Rovers didn't have much going forward. They did grow into the game though and gave us a few scares in the 2nd half. Overall I would say a draw was a fair result.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Thought we played ok. Conditions very difficult but we did have some good moves, especially in the break, but crosses just couldn’t find their target. We did get 3 or 4 sights of goal in the 6 yard box but Bristol made some excellent last ditch blocks and tackles so credit to them too. 

Thought the subs and shape change spoilt our rhythm. Igor probably withdrawn on fitness grounds, but Parker looks a poor man’s Magennis, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement. I’d have stuck with the 3-5-2 but withdrawn Pearce for Sarr. Pearce played fine, but there were quite a few times he was on the ball in advanced areas and looked in total nosebleed territory. I’m sure Sarr would have offered a bit (lot) more creativity and I think that would have helped us more. 

Form is still very solid and we don’t lose many which may well help is come the big matches in May. 

MOTM Dijksteel. 
  • Options
    Southend in a bit of trouble, only out of the relegation places on GD and now only 3 points above a resurgent Wimbledon
    The bottom half of the table is a madness. Plymouth in 12th only 3 points ahead of walsall in 21st!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    If Sarr was rested due to a niggle, it made sense not to use him. We are basically in the play offs and our only serious worry is lack of bite up front. Surely Bowyer has to try to get Fosu back to some sort of form in the games remaining. Not saying he will be able to, but he has to try surely! There we some clear examples during attacks where we were far too slow to get bodies in the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with you, but probably not Fosu's ideal pitch, being heavy and wet. Bradford game would be ideal
     on a hopefully drier Valley pitch.
  • Options
    Shocking by Bowyer today. Should be going into every game with our strongest team.  Sarr has been quality no need to drop him and Aribo is our best player by far.  Not one shot on goal is pathetic.  
  • Options
    Not making a comment on this game - by the time we have 5 or 6 games to go, we are going to be playing meaningless games. Ok, it may be argued you want the home game last in the first leg of play off semi, but I'm not sure it makes much difference.

Bowyer's objective will be to have the team confident, players fully fit and our best players playing at their maximum. He will also have the objective of finding a way to bank the positives and make us a bit more effective in the final third. So maybe meaningless games on paper, but possibly crucial to the success of our season. And very challenging for Bowyer to max all of these things. 
  • Options
    Saw some of the match on a stream and listened to commentary for the rest, so only a very limited view of the game.

The conditions looked and sounded pretty terrible, so happy enough with a point in the end. Some threatening moments offensively from Joe Aribo towards the end but I was pleased to ‘hear’ the final whistle, especially after their offside ‘goal’, 

Overtaking Pompey is - and was - our only realistic target, so a little disappointing that they have extended their lead to 4 points, although they were at home and had a less difficult game than us. Although Bristol Rovers were pretty basic, they are a team who have won the last three games, so this was always going to be difficult, especially in these conditions.

The top two was always a pipe dream, even if Karlan had stayed, as we just haven’t been consistent enough over the season.

Hopefully, the injured and part-wounded will recuperate over the next fortnight and we’ll come out all guns blazing against Bradford.

Another round of fixtures have passed and no one has made ground on us, so the play-offs look nailed on. My concern is that, ultimately, the absence of a strike partner for Lyle Taylor will come back to haunt us when it really counts.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    When Bow took Fatokele off, he should have brought on the Nabster as a striker. In a windy penalty box for the knock downs with Lyle waiting for scraps. Might have worked and nothing to lose. Gotta gamble, we need to finish third or fourth to get the second play off leg at home. 
  • Options
    A massive thank you to all 1,146 of you travelling Addicks who put up with the cold, wind and rain to back the boys so brilliantly once again today #cafc

• Options
    Just 8 points behind 2nd placed Barnsley with 8 games still left to do it in. Luton v Donny next week so something has to give there.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer knows like most of us now, that we haven't got the fire power to win enough matches to get in the top 2. Right decision not to start anyone that wasn't 100% fit.
    Good point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Probably Donny! 6th Place and relegation are very interesting in League One.
  • Options
    Weather played a massive part but we didn’t gamble today. 5 at the back to start with said it all. We had the swirling wind second half but didn’t have a shot 
    No we didnt... Dont think I ever saw us playing with five players across the back line during the game

Think if anything it was good player management from Bowyer what with the two week break coming up - the issues werent from those involved yet those that we're missing; Williams has been called a bit of a luxury player on here late (by me included) but think his absence has been shown more in these last two games and is clearly an instrumental cog in our Midfield wheel.

Without doubt we lacked creativity in the middle which meant at times there were gaps between Taylor | Vetokele and the five in the middle with only Reeves making attempts at times to bridge that gap - People will bemoan Pratley starting yet ironically the majority of Preview comments called it correctly by having him starting; it certainly made sense as neither Aribo (struggling with health) or Fosu (difficult pitch) made an impact when they came on so for me was the correct decision to play him
  • Options
    Keeps our points tally ticking over. 11 points clear of 7th place and that is what we need to focus on. We’re going to fall a ways short of 2nd place so let’s get into those playoff places as our single objective. On our day we can beat any of the teams we are likely to face in the playoffs. Let’s get those niggling injuries sorted and have a full strength squad. Not saying we are going up but we have as much chance as any of Portsmouth, Sunderland or Donny. Coventry making a late push. One to keep an eye on. 
  • Options
    These final 8 games our aim should be to get 3rd or 4th so have home advantage in the play offs 
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Dijksteel man of the match today . Parker offers less than Harvey Price would 
    What?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Dijksteel man of the match today . Parker offers less than Harvey Price would 
    You need to be banned for that comment.
  • Options
    Dijksteel MOTM. For everyone slating his passing, I’d like to think it was probably because of the wind
  • Options
    Uh, the 5-yard ones on the ground were off course. But he did tackle and run well 
  • Options
    These final 8 games our aim should be to get 3rd or 4th so have home advantage in the play offs 
    Not over concerned by not having home advantage for the second match, as long as we don't finish 6th and have to play the 3rd placed team

After all if we come 5th and Pompey 4th, we've won on our last 2 visits to Fratton Park, they won't be confident
  • Options
    In the playoffs I genuinely believe every team has the same chance. League form doesn’t really count for much.