Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    It will be quite hard to come 6th. We would have to lose most of our remaining games, and going into the play offs on that form - well you wouldn't want to face any team.
  • Options
    Just jumped on train, so disappointed we didn’t test their keeper in those conditions today. Thought Parker offered nothing when he came on and just doesn’t look like scoring, hopefully he saves it for Wembley 
  • Options
    Maybe we could work on a plan B formation, so if required the players are comfortable adapting. Last season, we had to keep fighting to reach the play offs, but this season, we can treat a bit like a competitive pre-season. 
  • Options
    Keeps our points tally ticking over. 11 points clear of 7th place and that is what we need to focus on. We’re going to fall a ways short of 2nd place so let’s get into those playoff places as our single objective. On our day we can beat any of the teams we are likely to face in the playoffs. Let’s get those niggling injuries sorted and have a full strength squad. Not saying we are going up but we have as much chance as any of Portsmouth, Sunderland or Donny. Coventry making a late push. One to keep an eye on. 
    Done the double over us too
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Coventry making a late push. One to keep an eye on. 
    Mentioned this on the match thread.
    (And neither of you gave me a like, meanies  ;) )
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Coventry making a late push. One to keep an eye on. 
    Mentioned this on the match thread.
    (And neither of you gave me a like, meanies  ;) )
    Never saw the match thread today so a 'like' for you here
  • Options
    Good defensive display with our first choice back three.

Clean sheet, not many of those recently, but we don't score enough.

Chance to rest and recover before we face the bottom team at home in two weeks time.
    5 clean sheets in the last 11 games - I'd say that was quite a few.
    1 clean sheet in the previous 7 games 
    6 goals conceded in 11 games - defense better than attack.
  • Options
    The conditions were awful but some of those performances were very poor.
  • Options
    Was our offside goal actually offside, is there any footage which shows the whole back line?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know one's not supposed to comment on the marks thread so I'm going to say it here - some of the marks for the ref are very lenient.  I thought nearly every decision he made was wrong.  I'd taken a Spurs supporter along and she said he was very favourable to the home team and couldn't understand many of his decisions.
  • Options
    MOTM was Dillon.
  • Options
    * "March winds & April showers bring forth May showers" FLOWERS!
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    * "March winds & April showers bring forth May showers" FLOWERS!
    OOps ! 

I only had 2 glasses, honest ! 
  • Options
    Would someone like to criticise Dillon's kicking today? I'm assuming that's the reason we didn't win.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Shocking by Bowyer today. Should be going into every game with our strongest team.  Sarr has been quality no need to drop him and Aribo is our best player by far.  Not one shot on goal is pathetic.  
    Aribo was ill. And there were shots on goal.
    Vetokele had one saved, Purrington had one cleared off the line.
    But I agree they should have been more shots from outside the box, with the swirly wind. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Conditions stopped any chance of a football match taking place, we were marginally better when we had the ball but just lacked that final cutting edge, Dillon's save in the first half was superb. The ref seemed to give some bizarre decisions today, both sides benefited/suffered from them but good to see some 'old style drop balls' in stead of this modern kick it back to them nonsense.  

Strange atmosphere in the ground, @charltonnick's idea to walk back to the station 'its only 20 minutes' was not his best  especially when I checked and my ticket was from Bristol Parkway, anyway no-one checked it and had a good chat all the way back with the odd sing song to help dry us out. 

• Options
    These final 8 games our aim should be to get 3rd or 4th so have home advantage in the play offs 
    Really don't think it matters if you play away first or not. Nor does it matter who you play...although only team I wouldn't want to face is Sunderland......hoping they get 2nd automatic place (Luton are nailed on Champions). 

Wasn't at the game not did I watch it on iplayer so no comment on the game itself.....but said at 2.40pm on the preview thread that we wouldn't score. Not one attacking midfielder in the starting 11.  Think we've done enough already to make the play offs.....just making sure we are on a roll when we get to play the 47th & 48th games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Since the very strong rumours of Grant leaving and him actually leaving, we have failed to score in 4 of our last 9 games. Scoring only 8 goals in that time.

Prior to those rumours and Grant leaving, we failed to score in only 3 of the previous 29 games, two of which coming in August. That means we had failed to score only once in our previous 24 games, away at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty.

I said at the time how much we would miss Grant, how many points he won for us, how his goals directly won us an additional 18 points. And I got laughed at and took the criticism. People thought we wouldn’t miss him that much or whatever else.

I am certain that if Grant were still here we would have an extra 4 points at least, as he would have scored probably a further 3 or 4 goals let’s say. That’s the difference between settling for a play-off position and fighting it out for automatics.

I know that it’s gone and this is the post match thread, of which I believe we played okay all things considered, but it is true we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals. There is a big reason for that and he scored twice for Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.

With Grant at the club we averaged 1.62 goals per game. Since the partnership of Grant and Taylor was broken and the strong possibility of Grant leaving happened, we have averaged 0.88 goals per game. The same goes for our points per game ratio, 1.83 per game with Grant, 1.55 without. Huge difference.
    He was our top scorer - of course we were going to miss him. But the point was, he was replacable, it is simply a case that he was not replaced. When it was clear he would not be replaced, I do not recall anybody saying we won't miss him.
  • Options
    We could have bought in better than what we currently have without a doubt if Roland had given Bowyer £500k. That is the point.
  • Options
    We could have bought in better than what we currently have without a doubt if Roland had given Bowyer £500k. That is the point.
    You can bring someone in but it's unlikely they would have settled immediately. Grant's departure has definitely derailed us.
  • Options
    I know one's not supposed to comment on the marks thread so I'm going to say it here - some of the marks for the ref are very lenient.  I thought nearly every decision he made was wrong.  I'd taken a Spurs supporter along and she said he was very favourable to the home team and couldn't understand many of his decisions.
    What infuriated me was that he was laughing at every decision he made, which he shouldn’t really do! It only antagonises players, no wonder you see players in this league with so many yellows......frustrations of such poor refereeing are being taken out on the opposition!

He was actually the worst ref I think we have had this season!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Conditions stopped any chance of a football match taking place, we were marginally better when we had the ball but just lacked that final cutting edge, Dillon's save in the first half was superb. The ref seemed to give some bizarre decisions today, both sides benefited/suffered from them but good to see some 'old style drop balls' in stead of this modern kick it back to them nonsense.  

Strange atmosphere in the ground, @charltonnick's idea to walk back to the station 'its only 20 minutes' was not his best  especially when I checked and my ticket was from Bristol Parkway, anyway no-one checked it and had a good chat all the way back with the odd sing song to help dry us out. 

Was nice meeting you yesterday. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sage said:
    Since the very strong rumours of Grant leaving and him actually leaving, we have failed to score in 4 of our last 9 games. Scoring only 8 goals in that time.

Prior to those rumours and Grant leaving, we failed to score in only 3 of the previous 29 games, two of which coming in August. That means we had failed to score only once in our previous 24 games, away at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty.

I said at the time how much we would miss Grant, how many points he won for us, how his goals directly won us an additional 18 points. And I got laughed at and took the criticism. People thought we wouldn’t miss him that much or whatever else.

I am certain that if Grant were still here we would have an extra 4 points at least, as he would have scored probably a further 3 or 4 goals let’s say. That’s the difference between settling for a play-off position and fighting it out for automatics.

I know that it’s gone and this is the post match thread, of which I believe we played okay all things considered, but it is true we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals. There is a big reason for that and he scored twice for Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.

With Grant at the club we averaged 1.62 goals per game. Since the partnership of Grant and Taylor was broken and the strong possibility of Grant leaving happened, we have averaged 0.88 goals per game. The same goes for our points per game ratio, 1.83 per game with Grant, 1.55 without. Huge difference.
    He was our top scorer - of course we were going to miss him. But the point was, he was replacable, it is simply a case that he was not replaced. When it was clear he would not be replaced, I do not recall anybody saying we won't miss him.
    On his wages and for £1.5m I'm not sure he was replaceable.
    If only we’d have kept hold of Vaz Te  ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:

Hi Clive. Let me comment upon the observation you made about drop balls (so to speak), taking also account of Fanny's observations a few posts back.

Rightly or wrongly, the ref will often give the ball back to one team to restart the game, after, say, an injury.

From Fanny's observations, perhaps due in part to the windy conditions, players were falling over and getting the ball lodged under their body. Therefore to avoid the situation where an opposing player may well kick out to release the ball, and thus issues arise, the ref stops play. In that situation, it would be unfair to give the ball to one side, so an old fashioned drop ball is awarded. Incidentally, a player taking part in the drop ball scenario cannot be offside at that point. I mention that because in yesterday year he could 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Sage said:

On his wages and for £1.5m I'm not sure he was replaceable.
    If only we’d have kept hold of Vaz Te  ;)
    If only Roland could have spared £700k... we could have bought Polish Pete!
  • Options
    Sage said:

Except that it’s almost impossible to recreate that alchemy, or chemistry, two strikers can create when combining well together. Somehow Taylor and Grant together were (far?) more than the sum of their parts.