Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

On a further note it remains frustrating that everyone around us has a game in hand yet that looks to be wrapped up by mid-February

Although none of them appear to be that easy

As a break down

Portsmouth and Luton both have a game in hand on us: (Tues 29th Jan: Luton v Portsmouth)
    Sunderland have two games in hand (12th Feb: v Blackpool and 19th Feb v Gillingham both at home)
    Barnsley also have two games in hand (29th Jan v Oxford (A) and one other which hasnt been confirmed yet)

Have a feeling that Barnsley will get one of the automatic spots, they're a really good side.

Sunderland draw too many games and Maja looks like leaving.
    Luton i expect to drop off a bit now that Jones has gone.
    Portsmouth still have to play away to us, Luton and Sunderland and also could be distracted by still being in 2 cups.

So it's up to us to march on and nick the other promotion spot.

Barnsley: Do they have enough goals in them?
    Interesting point, Forever.

I thought I'd have a look at the goals scored by the promotion chasing pack.
    Leading the way is:

Luton on 50 goals scored.
    Doncaster: 49 ..... (bloated by the fact they hit 5 past Rochdale last week, beaten by everybody recently).
    Peterborough: 47
    Sunderland: 47
    Charlton: 46
    Pompey: 46
    Barnsley: 43

Well, I reckon that's all much of a muchness, as far as goals scored.

As far as Barnsley are concerned, they've only got to give a struggling side a 4 goal beating and they've scored more goals than the League leaders ..... and they are well capable of that.

Dont create too much with all their passing though from what I've seen

i.e. It took two wonder goals to beat us at Oakwell (Steer had nothing else to do) and didnt threat us @ the Valley

They dont just have to beat those around them (Dont really have to win those at all if they can beat the others) but they do show signs of inconsistency
  • Options

Best team if everyone was fit...?

Phillips
    Solly. Sarr. Beilik. Page
    Cullen
    Aribo. Fosu
    Williams
    Grant. Taylor

Bench
    Maxwell, Bauer, Pearce, Lapslie, Morgan
    Purrington, Reeves

Bielik and Sarr may be a juicy notion for all the total football fans out there and I think both of them have a far higher potential career ceiling than our 'first-choice' pair, but I think Bauer should be in there (and let's not forget that Pearce, for all that his distribution is bad, can defend pretty well). Maybe Bielik in midfield, Cullen in Fosu's position? Cullen and Bielik are both unbelievable options for DM, better than anything else in this league by miles
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Aribo. Fosu
    Williams
    Grant. Taylor

Bench
    Purrington, Reeves

Fosu’s only really played at the tip of the diamond so far, can’t see Bowyer playing him as a one of the two CMs.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Would have Pearce over Sarr purely for his experience as thats a very young team else

At the moment would purely have Page over Purrington as havent seen enough of the latter same with Phillips / Maxwell
  • Options
    Very good result and if we can maintain this form we're looking at 82 points out of 46 matches.

However...In the last 4 seasons the average number of points required for a team to finish 2nd has been 89.5. Could we improve sufficiently to reach that? Or will Luton fade and Sunderland not come good?
  • Options

Very good result and if we can maintain this form we're looking at 82 points out of 46 matches.

However...In the last 4 seasons the average number of points required for a team to finish 2nd has been 89.5. Could we improve sufficiently to reach that? Or will Luton fade and Sunderland not come good?

We have the squad to go on a run, I think. Teams that gave us a test earlier on (like Shrewsbury) will be tired, depleted and less motivated
  • Options

Personally think it's very hard to see past Pompey and Sunderland for the top two. I'm picking ourselves, Barnsley, Luton and Peterborough for the play offs.

We will do very well to make up the points gap given we have played more games than any of our rivals.

You never know....

Last game of season for Sunderland is away to Sir Chris

It’s in the stars I tell ya!

(Had a few pints now....!)
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Aribo. Fosu
    Williams
    Grant. Taylor

Bench
    Purrington, Reeves

Can't argue with that.
    Well I can. Bielik has done really well as DM, but why on earth do you think he is better than Sarr and Pearce as LHS central defence?

I put Sarr first as I think he is technically better than Pearce now and does not drag players about like Pearce tends to do.

I would also not have Fosu in our best side based on this seasons performance.

I would have Sarr or Pearce LHS CD and Aribo Cullen and Beilik midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Aribo. Fosu
    Williams
    Grant. Taylor

Bench
    Purrington, Reeves

Clarke?
  • Options

How nice to see all these positive comments,hardly a mention of RD,long may it continue,lets forget all about him and get behind the team.Be great to see 15000 at the Valley on saturday.

Sorry t&t, but we did have a good rendition of 'just sell the club' at the end.
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Would have Pearce over Sarr purely for his experience as thats a very young team else

At the moment would purely have Page over Purrington as havent seen enough of the latter same with Phillips / Maxwell

That would be nearer my team. I worry about Cullen and Bielik, as there might not be enough creativity. A more attacking option would be

Phillips or Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Reeves Cullen Aribo
    Williams
    Grant Taylor

• Options

So when everyone’s fit (probably never gonna happen), what’s our best eleven?

My personal team:
    Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Subs:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Sarr
    Reeves, Clarke
    Fosu, Igor

Purrington, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall and Ajose completely the strong 23 man squad.

Don’t expect to see too much of Page or Igor. We have Purrington so bringing in another striker for Ajose would be the dream.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Phillips
    Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Other than formation same as my team haha

So when everyone’s fit (probably never gonna happen), what’s our best eleven?

Personally

---------------Phillips-------------------
    Solly BFG Pearce Page
    ----------------Bielik---------------------
    -----------Aribo Cullen---------------
    ---------------Williams----------------
    -----------Taylor Grant---------------

Harsh on Naby I know but if we are leading towards the end take Williams off for Naby to defend the lead, but personally thing BFG and Pearce are 1 of the greatest partnerships at Centre Back we have had
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Oggy Red said:

On a further note it remains frustrating that everyone around us has a game in hand yet that looks to be wrapped up by mid-February

Although none of them appear to be that easy

As a break down

Portsmouth and Luton both have a game in hand on us: (Tues 29th Jan: Luton v Portsmouth)
    Sunderland have two games in hand (12th Feb: v Blackpool and 19th Feb v Gillingham both at home)
    Barnsley also have two games in hand (29th Jan v Oxford (A) and one other which hasnt been confirmed yet)

Have a feeling that Barnsley will get one of the automatic spots, they're a really good side.

Sunderland draw too many games and Maja looks like leaving.
    Luton i expect to drop off a bit now that Jones has gone.
    Portsmouth still have to play away to us, Luton and Sunderland and also could be distracted by still being in 2 cups.

So it's up to us to march on and nick the other promotion spot.

Barnsley: Do they have enough goals in them?
    Interesting point, Forever.

I thought I'd have a look at the goals scored by the promotion chasing pack.
    Leading the way is:

Luton on 50 goals scored.
    Doncaster: 49 ..... (bloated by the fact they hit 5 past Rochdale last week, beaten by everybody recently).
    Peterborough: 47
    Sunderland: 47
    Charlton: 46
    Pompey: 46
    Barnsley: 43

Well, I reckon that's all much of a muchness, as far as goals scored.

As far as Barnsley are concerned, they've only got to give a struggling side a 4 goal beating and they've scored more goals than the League leaders ..... and they are well capable of that.

Dont create too much with all their passing though from what I've seen

i.e. It took two wonder goals to beat us at Oakwell (Steer had nothing else to do) and didnt threat us @ the Valley

They dont just have to beat those around them (Dont really have to win those at all if they can beat the others) but they do show signs of inconsistency
    Barnsley this season have already won 3 x League games by 4-0 ..... which is more than we've done yet. :smile:

That includes beating Peterborough 4-0 away and 2-0 at home.

Barnsley are not a team to be underestimated.

PS: I'll also add that there only a point behind us - so no more inconsistent than we are. :smile:
  • Options

Other than Solly, Grant and Taylor, I'm not sure anyone is an automatic starter when everyone is fit. I highlight those 3 as Solly is clearly the first choice RB, and the 2 strikers are clearly our first choice. At CB we have 4 excellent options, while in midfield we have a glut of permutations.

Agreed, we have around 12 players who could play in a midfield 4. We now have finally have cover at left back and also have 3 CBs good enough to start. Even Solly is not a certainly, Dijksteel has progressed and I don’t think Solly has had a great season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did not see the game , just followed the match thread and perused the players marks.

I'm getting really excited at the rave notices for Williams - hope he keeps fit; but i feel success of our season hangs on whether Lyle Taylor stays fit.

Pleased some of the " lesser " players got high marks and good reviews, meaning Phillips, the Nabster, and Pratley.
    If Phillips and Saar get a good run of games i feel confident they will improve even more.

LB correctly dropped Fosu to the bench imo, technically a very good player but his habit of beating his opo 2, or 3 times before losing the ball slows the game.
  • Options

Some teams are so unpredictable. Blackpool beat us, get 1 point from the next 5 games, then win at Pompey!

I still think Portsmouth will win the title but if we can play the rest of the season like we did today, we’ve got to be in with a shout at second.
    I honestly think Pompey will get caught! They have been found out!
  • Options

Did not see the game , just followed the match thread and perused the players marks.

I'm getting really excited at the rave notices for Williams - hope he keeps fit; but i feel success of our season hangs on whether Lyle Taylor stays fit.

Pleased some of the " lesser " players got high marks and good reviews, meaning Phillips, the Nabster, and Pratley.
    If Phillips and Saar get a good run of games i feel confident they will improve even more.

LB correctly dropped Fosu to the bench imo, technically a very good player but his habit of beating his opo 2, or 3 times before losing the ball slows the game.

Agree re Taylor.

Yeah Williams looks a class above. He's only going to get better when he's playing alongside better, more mature footballs like Cullen, Reeves, Fosu, Clarke, etc. Far too good for this level, and more robust than I anticipated. Just need to keep him fit.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Just got back. I honestly didn’t think we got out of first gear today which is a massive plus! First half I thought we looked really leggy!

Another major plus was the fact we won whilst having left the likes of Fosu and Clarke on the bench with others to come back soon too!

Final point, Jonny Williams is an absolute class above! He was brilliant today!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Leuth said:

One thing that's becoming clear is that you absolutely cannot drop Sarr in the form he's in. We look like such a better footballing team when he plays. Pearce can come back when there's a horrible lives-on-the-line scrap in the offing. But we shouldn't be looking to scrap right now. We should be looking to dominate and despatch.

Second this. The difference in our ability to build from the back between Coventry/Barnsley and Walsall/today is so stark. We absolutely couldn't get out of our own end in the former. And he's brilliant defensively as well.