Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

Great penalty, no faffing about, just steps up and wallows it into the corner
    Yeah was a bit concerned at first seeing Arnold had gotten the better of him today

Also his penalty at Burton felt weak so expected the same today - Yet much better as you say
    No disrespect but a pen taken when 2-0 up isn’t really a pressurised situation.
    Is it 3 games that Grant has scored in last minutes to win points ?
    Back in September I said Grant could get 20 odd goals but would also miss a hat full of chances. His overall play has improved so much but still needs to find the composure when he has too much time. The lad is progressing nicely.
    My start of season predictions saw Grant as our top scorer as wasnt sure about Taylor; only had him getting nine though... Got that one wrong
  • Options

21 games left. Win them all and we go up.

18 to go?

Don’t think you can win all 18, then the playoffs and the final and go up twice ;-) !!
  • Options
    Bowyers got us playing the way we should, oh yeah, someone tell me I’m into something good.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

On a further note it remains frustrating that everyone around us has a game in hand yet that looks to be wrapped up by mid-February

Although none of them appear to be that easy

As a break down

Portsmouth and Luton both have a game in hand on us: (Tues 29th Jan: Luton v Portsmouth)
    Sunderland have two games in hand (12th Feb: v Blackpool and 19th Feb v Gillingham both at home)
    Barnsley also have two games in hand (29th Jan v Oxford (A) and one other which hasnt been confirmed yet)

Have a feeling that Barnsley will get one of the automatic spots, they're a really good side.

Sunderland draw too many games and Maja looks like leaving.
    Luton i expect to drop off a bit now that Jones has gone.
    Portsmouth still have to play away to us, Luton and Sunderland and also could be distracted by still being in 2 cups.

So it's up to us to march on and nick the other promotion spot.

Barnsley: Do they have enough goals in them?
    Interesting point, Forever.

I thought I'd have a look at the goals scored by the promotion chasing pack.
    Leading the way is:

Luton on 50 goals scored.
    Doncaster: 49 ..... (bloated by the fact they hit 5 past Rochdale last week, beaten by everybody recently).
    Peterborough: 47
    Sunderland: 47
    Charlton: 46
    Pompey: 46
    Barnsley: 43

Well, I reckon that's all much of a muchness, as far as goals scored.

As far as Barnsley are concerned, they've only got to give a struggling side a 4 goal beating and they've scored more goals than the League leaders ..... and they are well capable of that.

Dont create too much with all their passing though from what I've seen

i.e. It took two wonder goals to beat us at Oakwell (Steer had nothing else to do) and didnt threat us @ the Valley

They dont just have to beat those around them (Dont really have to win those at all if they can beat the others) but they do show signs of inconsistency
    Barnsley this season have already won 3 x League games by 4-0 ..... which is more than we've done yet. :smile:

That includes beating Peterborough 4-0 away and 2-0 at home.

Barnsley are not a team to be underestimated.

PS: I'll also add that there only a point behind us - so no more inconsistent than we are. :smile:
    I'm pretty sure we'll get some 4-0 victories soon.
    Should have had a 4-0 today, Mr Happy.

I hope you have better luck with picking the same lottery numbers. :smile:

• Options
    BR3red said:

21 games left. Win them all and we go up.

18 to go?

Don’t think you can win all 18, then the playoffs and the final and go up twice ;-) !!
    Let’s see if we can get those really poor performances out of our system before we get too carried away. If we have another 15 points after the next seven games I think I’ll get excited.

• Options

Just had a look on the Sunderland forum as I had a hunch. And it was proven right - they are shit scared of us.

Going by a preview website of theirs ahead of the game last week I think they're still recovering from the Play-Off Final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    Ben Purrington

@BenPurrington
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Delighted to make my @CAFCofficial debut so soon. Great win and clean sheet! Travelling fans unreal 👏🏻
  • Options
    If we had lost the 98 play-off final to Sunderland in the manner they did to us, we would also see them in a superior light. Fact is we didn't and I think they will choke. Whether or not we can be the ones to grab second depends on whether the the Old Scrote cashes in on anyone this month. So far so good but previous experience suggests he will.
  • Options
    Dillon Phillips

@Dillon_Phillips
    2h2 hours ago
    More Dillon Phillips Retweeted Kyle Andrews
    @CAFCofficial Great win today,buzzing with the clean sheet, on to the next one 🥳 🔴⚪️
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC

Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    51m51 minutes ago
    More
    Thank you for your brilliant support today, Charlton fans! 👏

Get home safely and we'll see you all back at The Valley on Saturday #cafc

• Options
    Luton play Posh next week, whatever result, good for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We've hit 50 points.

Do you think we're safe from relegation yet? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

We've hit 50 points.

Do you think we're safe from relegation yet? :smile:

Curbs would have been happy 😉
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Not convinced Portsmouth will finish top two , Ben Thompson is a big loss . Sunderland will be top two but Luton will fade . If we get a descent striker in we stand a real chance with this squad .

What are you talking about? We already have two decent strikers.
  • Options
    They were appalling misses by Lisbie Grant , well done to him for keeping on going and that penalty was a clean strike a bit too near the keeper for my liking but better than the Burton effort .
    He has been a massive bonus this season , I thought he was 10 goals max and plenty of humble pie for me , hopefully it’s not gonna be a one off and he can do it at a higher level for us next season .
  • Options

Just had a look on the Sunderland forum as I had a hunch. And it was proven right - they are shit scared of us.

Link?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Get the feeling we’re going to do it this year....COYAs!!!!