Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    To Stig,no problem with that at all,my point is that each week the comments on this site are becoming more and more about the team and less about RD,which is an indication of how well we are playing.I know a lot of you guys who provide such great support at the away games wont come to the Valley,but we have a great chance of going up,,and we all can play a part.Lets be fair,Most of Bowyers requirements have been met,while this does not wipe out previous disasters,Rd is now not interfering with the playing side,and appears to be supportive of our manager,while trying to sell the club.
  • Options
    Mega result
  • Options

To Stig,no problem with that at all,my point is that each week the comments on this site are becoming more and more about the team and less about RD,which is an indication of how well we are playing.I know a lot of you guys who provide such great support at the away games wont come to the Valley,but we have a great chance of going up,,and we all can play a part.Lets be fair,Most of Bowyers requirements have been met,while this does not wipe out previous disasters,Rd is now not interfering with the playing side,and appears to be supportive of our manager,while trying to sell the club.

Let’s just wait til the window closes - this time last year RD sold our top scorer.
  • Options

Other than Solly, Grant and Taylor, I'm not sure anyone is an automatic starter when everyone is fit. I highlight those 3 as Solly is clearly the first choice RB, and the 2 strikers are clearly our first choice. At CB we have 4 excellent options, while in midfield we have a glut of permutations.

Agreed, we have around 12 players who could play in a midfield 4. We now have finally have cover at left back and also have 3 CBs good enough to start. Even Solly is not a certainly, Dijksteel has progressed and I don’t think Solly has had a great season.
    I only put Solly as a certainty, as Dijksteel hasn't been as good at him in that position this season, especially going forward
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

Great penalty, no faffing about, just steps up and wallows it into the corner
    Yeah was a bit concerned at first seeing Arnold had gotten the better of him today

Also his penalty at Burton felt weak so expected the same today - Yet much better as you say
    No disrespect but a pen taken when 2-0 up isn’t really a pressurised situation.
    No but it truly ended the game... At 2-0 there was always a slim chance for Shrewsbury had they gotten a goal; Grant's misses certainly would have been berated on here no doubt had we not gone on to win
  • Options
    CRACKING WIN LADS!!!!
  • Options

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Would have Pearce over Sarr purely for his experience as thats a very young team else

At the moment would purely have Page over Purrington as havent seen enough of the latter same with Phillips / Maxwell

Other than formation same as my team haha

So when everyone’s fit (probably never gonna happen), what’s our best eleven?

Personally

---------------Phillips-------------------
    Solly BFG Pearce Page
    ----------------Bielik---------------------
    -----------Aribo Cullen---------------
    ---------------Williams----------------
    -----------Taylor Grant---------------

Harsh on Naby I know but if we are leading towards the end take Williams off for Naby to defend the lead, but personally thing BFG and Pearce are 1 of the greatest partnerships at Centre Back we have had
    To be honest it is the same diamond formation as yours mate - I'm just a bit odd as dont like how narrow it looks on yours and others who do the formation in that style hence why I put my two flank midfielders either side of the Defensive Midfielder
  • Options
    In the highlights clip, Solly looked totally behind play.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

Yeah was a bit concerned at first seeing Arnold had gotten the better of him today

Also his penalty at Burton felt weak so expected the same today - Yet much better as you say
    No but it truly ended the game... At 2-0 there was always a slim chance for Shrewsbury had they gotten a goal; Grant's misses certainly would have been berated on here no doubt had we not gone on to win
    And there is loads more pressure when you've missed as many chances as he had. And, when much of your career has been spent like the first 75 minutes today--missing chances.

A very, very important goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

And there is loads more pressure when you've missed as many chances as he had. And, when much of your career has been spent like the first 75 minutes today--missing chances.

A very, very important goal.
    Only thing I'd correct you on the above is like what Bowyer said about Taylor's missed penalty against Rochdale...

Grant didnt miss those chances today; the Goalkeeper saved them ;)
  • Options

So when everyone’s fit (probably never gonna happen), what’s our best eleven?

The XI the gaffer puts out on the pitch 😉

• Options
    Excellent result onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

JonnyK said:

Personally think it's very hard to see past Pompey and Sunderland for the top two. I'm picking ourselves, Barnsley, Luton and Peterborough for the play offs.

We will do very well to make up the points gap given we have played more games than any of our rivals.

Bows stated in a recent presser that with players coming back he felt that we were capable of going on a long winning streak all the way to the end of the season.

If the squad buy in - and why wouldn’t they - then the points we are currently behind can be more than made up.

Division 1, you’re having a laugh, we’re Charlton Athletic and we’re going up! 😉

Bowyer's set his stall out for promotion - or bust.

He's been saying it all season, every article and every interview.
    Despite all the injuries and when a result hasn't gone our way, he keeps saying promotion is the target.

He's said it again today in his post match comments:
    “I don’t think it (promotion) is about the other sides. It’s in our hands, ok we might be a few points behind them but it is in our hands. If we do it properly every game then I think we’ll be up there.”

Or this comment:
    He said: “I just said to them ‘We will get promotion but you have to do this every time, you can’t drop your standards’. If we keep doing this, what we’ve done today, then there is no reason why we can’t go and win every game and I believe it."
    Is that what Bowyer genuinely thinks or is it just words to breed confidence amongst the players and fans - Very much the same sort of lines we saw last season when he said about getting through the Play-Offs.

Dont get me wrong though; its nice to hear and wouldnt want him changing his tune just to be more realistic
  • Options

We have scored more pens than anyone in the top 4 divisions.
    (according to Sky).
    The Nabster is playing at his best and Taylor is different class.

An amazing turnaround, was it 2 or 3 years ago when we had no penalties at all one season?
    It sure helps when you play two up front plus the head of the diamond just behind ... and then there is The Lyle Taylor effect on both the players and the fans - WOW 👍
  • Options
    Surprised Billy Clarke didn’t get a run out especially after having one subs left after the third goal. Would have been a good opportunity to get some minutes under his belt.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

I can assure you Mr hit and run, that the lads confidence could have been seriously dented had he missed that. Fair play to him for having the bottle to take and bury it.
    B@llocks to grant his cost me £145 Today with them one on ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

RedChaser said:

JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

I can assure you Mr hit and run, that the lads confidence could have been seriously dented had he missed that. Fair play to him for having the bottle to take and bury it.
    B@llocks to grant his cost me £145 Today with them one on ones
    Fella near me had Charlton to win 4-0 and couldn't believe his bad luck. Good to meet up again, enjoy Chester :+1:
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

thenewbie said:

3-0 Grant (pen) 79'

I would normally agree, but when you miss a lot of great chances in a game it puts pressure on you. Good on Grant.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

JonnyK said:

Personally think it's very hard to see past Pompey and Sunderland for the top two. I'm picking ourselves, Barnsley, Luton and Peterborough for the play offs.

We will do very well to make up the points gap given we have played more games than any of our rivals.

Bows stated in a recent presser that with players coming back he felt that we were capable of going on a long winning streak all the way to the end of the season.

If the squad buy in - and why wouldn’t they - then the points we are currently behind can be more than made up.

Division 1, you’re having a laugh, we’re Charlton Athletic and we’re going up! 😉

Bowyer's set his stall out for promotion - or bust.

He's been saying it all season, every article and every interview.
    Despite all the injuries and when a result hasn't gone our way, he keeps saying promotion is the target.

He's said it again today in his post match comments:
    “I don’t think it (promotion) is about the other sides. It’s in our hands, ok we might be a few points behind them but it is in our hands. If we do it properly every game then I think we’ll be up there.”

Or this comment:
    He said: “I just said to them ‘We will get promotion but you have to do this every time, you can’t drop your standards’. If we keep doing this, what we’ve done today, then there is no reason why we can’t go and win every game and I believe it."
    Bowyer knows that there are not many sides in our leadue if any who can do what we did today. The challenge is to keep at that level and above. Easier said than done, I know,
  • Options

Don't forget, this was the Shrewsbury team that drew 1-1 with Sunderland a fortnight ago.

And this was the Charlton team that drew 1-1 with Sunderland last week.

• Options
    JonnyK said:

We have scored more pens than anyone in the top 4 divisions.
    (according to Sky).
    The Nabster is playing at his best and Taylor is different class.

An amazing turnaround, was it 2 or 3 years ago when we had no penalties at all one season?
    It sure helps when you play two up front plus the head of the diamond just behind ... and then there is The Lyle Taylor effect on both the players and the fans - WOW 👍
    We’ve improved in a number of positions, but if we’d had Taylor last year, even under Robinson, we’d have been promoted I think.
  • Options
    Lacazette 9 from 27
    Lyle Taylorzette 15 from 28
  • Options
    No access to the football this afternoon so 'well chuffed' as the youngsters would say to find out we stuffed Shrewsbury 3-0. That gets the 2 points back we narrowly missed out on last week. 6 points or 3 away wins (assuming we can win at home) off 2 per match which is nearly always good enough for automatic promotion.

Calm down dear this is Charlton we're talking about!
  • Options
    21 games left. Win them all and we go up.