Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham- Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

What Charlton fans are trying to make it like a derby.

I never once went into the game thinking it was anything other than a normal game
    I have never heard a Charlton fan call this a derby ,,, and they are so inconsequential and of little interest to us, it never will be.

Methinks they are trying to hard to create something that doesn’t exist.
    I saw it as a local match purely on a personal level based on where I live now

In terms of actual Charlton derbies... NAH!!

Its certainly a feeling that us and Southend are their closest League opponents so they try and create rivalries out of them both
  • Options

clb74 said:

Anyway got the 9 points I wanted from December.
    My opinion any points from next 2 games is a bonus.
    Then on to January 9 points from that month and we begin our promotion push l.
    Can't wait for Barnsley next Saturday.

Can't agree with that.

A side hoping to win promotion should not be seeing any points from Coventry away as a bonus. They're on a poor run and we owe them for their smash and grab at the Valley. Let's keep the winning run going as Barnsley will be a lot tougher!
    Chris I said my opinion.
    I had something like this as a good month
    Blackpool away D
    Pompy away L
    AFC home W
    Gills home W
    Coventry away D
    Barnsley away D
    Giving us 9 points
    We've already got the 9 if we can nick a couple more points for me a very very good month.
    Once January out the way and hopefully at least another 9 points we have
    Doncaster away as our hardest away game left
    And Portsmouth and Luton to come the valley.
    We've got 9 from December if we get another 9 from the rest of December/January I think we go up automatically.
    This of course does come down to if we have any players left after the January transfer window.
  • Options
    It is the danger of looking at games in chunks unless the target continuously rolls over. I think 6 points from our next three is realistic and I wouldn't be upset with that and if we get 9 (which is possible) it would be great.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

I never once went into the game thinking it was anything other than a normal game
    I have never heard a Charlton fan call this a derby ,,, and they are so inconsequential and of little interest to us, it never will be.

Its certainly a feeling that us and Southend are their closest League opponents so they try and create rivalries out of them both
    They called it a “derby” on Quest but I’m not convinced that it is at all. I don’t even really think of matches against other teams in London as derbies apart from Millwall, Palace and West Ham (maybe Wimbledon).
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

They called it a “derby” on Quest but I’m not convinced that it is at all. I don’t even really think of matches against other teams in London as derbies apart from Millwall, Palace and West Ham (maybe Wimbledon).
    I woke up yesterday and it felt like a normal Saturday with a home match.

The feeling when u wake up on the morning of a game against Millwall or Palace is special

Gillingham will never be a derby nor Wimbledon for me
  • Options
    se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

They probably see it because we compete in the Kent Senior Cup
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Anyway got the 9 points I wanted from December.
    My opinion any points from next 2 games is a bonus.
    Then on to January 9 points from that month and we begin our promotion push l.
    Can't wait for Barnsley next Saturday.

Can't agree with that.

A side hoping to win promotion should not be seeing any points from Coventry away as a bonus. They're on a poor run and we owe them for their smash and grab at the Valley. Let's keep the winning run going as Barnsley will be a lot tougher!
    Chris I said my opinion.
    I had something like this as a good month
    Blackpool away D
    Pompy away L
    AFC home W
    Gills home W
    Coventry away D
    Barnsley away D
    Giving us 9 points
    We've already got the 9 if we can nick a couple more points for me a very very good month.
    Once January out the way and hopefully at least another 9 points we have
    Doncaster away as our hardest away game left
    And Portsmouth and Luton to come the valley.
    We've got 9 from December if we get another 9 from the rest of December/January I think we go up automatically.
    This of course does come down to if we have any players left after the January transfer window.
    Don't forget my play-off final ticket mate.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

At least it is a 'derby' we win from time to time, treasure the moment.
  • Options
    It’s not a derby for me. They just get annoyed because the valley express when we were in the Prem and the inroads we made into Medway to attract fans.
  • Options
    It's no more a derby than West Ham vs Southend or QPR vs Reading...

Or Palace vs Brighton which has to be the weirdest rivalry!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

The palice v Brighton is not so strange as people should think.

A lot of the palice support stretches down towards Sussex so overlapping into the territory of our friends from Brighton.

I believe the rivalry began in the late 70's, a reason I'm not too sure about.
  • Options
    Palace fans do seem to stretch down to pease pottage along the M23 into Sussex, so for them a match with Brighton is a local Derby.

Charlton against Gillingham is only a Derby for Kent based fans :40% at last census.

Charlton against Surrey's top team is only a Derby for Cafc fans based in the clean air south and west of Croydon.
  • Options

A lot of the palice support stretches down towards Sussex so overlapping into the territory of our friends from Brighton.

In the 70's hooligan days palace were very much bottom of the south London pecking order so they looked elsewhere. Simple as that.
  • Options

In the 70's hooligan days palace were very much bottom of the south London pecking order so they looked elsewhere. Simple as that.
    Surprised they did not ending up having the rivalry with Worthing then.
  • Options

Surprised they did not ending up having the rivalry with Worthing then.
    They would still be bottom
  • Options

se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

They probably see it because we compete in the Kent Senior Cup
    But maybe that’s part of it, and without trying to open that London/Kent debate, I’m from London (Eltham) and I live in London (Peckham). Kent’s just a periphery to me, maybe Charlton fans that come from Kent care passionately about beating Gillingham which could justify the “rival” thing but I don’t get the impression thar they do, and I certainly don’t.
  • Options
    Don’t even really know where it is I’m pleased to say :smiley:
  • Options

Anyone else think Reeves looked offside for the first one?

Not me. The right back played him on

Reeves will be so important for us. If he can add clever runs and finishes, we'll challenge the top sides.
  • Options

Anyone else think Reeves looked offside for the first one?

Gillingham
  • Options

Their support was shit from where I was sitting. Couldn’t hear them at all. They even got the ‘You’re support is fucking shit....shhhh’ twice and then silence along with ‘we forgot that you were here’

Must have made some noise maybe twice all game.

Sitting in the East I heard them very well....ourtsung us fro the start & only went quiet in the 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    shocking turnout from gills in what is a big game for them, its less than an hour on the train ffs, what was funny is the not caring by them and then persisting to sing shitty gills songs in the oak afterwards.

moving forward coventry is a game we usually slip up in, would settle for playoffs but all the time we are under the radar the better, sunderland could be a huge game.
  • Options
    Dont know if he's been mentioned but I thought Hackett-Fairchild was excellent when he came on for his cameo

Really made a nuisance of himself for Gillingham, tracked back and also did really well to create a counter attack for us!!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Dont know if he's been mentioned but I thought Hackett-Fairchild was excellent when he came on for his cameo

Really made a nuisance of himself for Gillingham, tracked back and also did really well to create a counter attack for us!!

I'm sorry but RFH is "shit" and will "never score a goal" according to CL "experts". Please don't praise him.
  • Options
    youngluke said:

Don’t understand the continued negativity towards Steer we have a quality keeper on our hands.... so what if a couple of kicks went out of play at least he is trying to move the ball quickly and create something....some of our fans have to have a go for the sake of it ....Been one of the best players during this run

Dean Kielys kicking was pretty poor but fair to say he's a bit of a legend at the club.

Things cant go right all the time and like you said, been one of better players recently.
  • Options

I'm sorry but RFH is "shit" and will "never score a goal" according to CL "experts". Please don't praise him.
    Is problem is that he's not as quick as Karlan so will need to work on other areas to become prolific for me

i.e. His positioning almost certainly yet he also looks very lightweight for a tall player and see him being out muscled a lot - Hopefully as he gets more experienced he'll get more clever at where to be in the box etc.
  • Options

N01R4M said:

What was the announced attendance?

Attendance:12,836 according to the BBC
    What was the REAL attendance?
    The real attendance was comfortably the best of the season. I thought there may have been about 12,000 there.
    Definitely about 3,000 more home fans than usual.
    We're starting to look strong and professional.
    I think we could make the top 2 and definitely the play offs.
    It definitely feels like proper Charlton. Really enjoyable.
    We SHOULD get three points at Coventry and at least a point at Barnsley, and then stuff Walsall, but it's all about maintaining consistency. With injured players hopefully returning in the New Year the squad will only become stronger and as long Roland doesn't sell our best players we have a great chance of going straight up, never mind the play-offs.
  • Options

shocking turnout from gills in what is a big game for them, its less than an hour on the train ffs, what was funny is the not caring by them and then persisting to sing shitty gills songs in the oak afterwards.

moving forward coventry is a game we usually slip up in, would settle for playoffs but all the time we are under the radar the better, sunderland could be a huge game.

They average 5000?
    And they had what 1400 in the valley Saturday
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They average 5000?
    And they had what 1400 in the valley Saturday
    9000 attended the game at Priestfield last Season 1500 away capacity so 7500 gills fans, yep they are a small club with a tiny budget, but like Wimbledon there fans feel a need to create a derby out of it.