Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham- Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

The sort of workmanlike performance that should have us well placed at the end of the season.
    Tainted by some cringey songs from the N upper.

I didn’t think the ‘There’s only one Jan Paderewski’ song was that bad.
    'Give me J' ... !!!
  • Options
    Surprised by some comments Bows included, we passed the ball the best I’ve seen all year, repeated ole’s from our crowd are a clue, The move that ended with Reeves shot blocked by the keepers foot was a long succession of passes.

Taylor playing “hide and seek” with the Gills defender and goal keeper was lovely!

My view, quality performance, give us three months relatively injury free and automatic promotion is achievable.
  • Options
    Listened from a cold windy, darkened Darrzet, seen the goals and good ones at that, get a couple of the sick notes back and we just might have a chance of automatic come late April or May. Festive regards to all.
  • Options
    Anyone else think Reeves looked offside for the first one?
  • Options
    Nice win, very comfortable which is just what the doctor ordered as we have much tougher tests to come over the next couple of weeks.

Selfishly I wanted us to press on and hammer them in the second half (mainly as I was meeting a Gills mate who was in the away end after the game!) but we seemed happy to just control the match without exerting ourselves too much - maybe this was intentional given the fixture list we have on the horizon!

Both goals were excellent for different reasons. Fosu looked back to his best self which is very good news for us, Ariba has become a really important player for us and I hope he doesn’t suffer from burnout. I normally hate it when Solly plays left back but he was brilliant yesterday. Steer’s decision making (almost got dispossessed twice with the ball at his feet) and kicking was questionable but he didn’t have too much else to do.
  • Options
    A comfortable enough win against a team with a very good away record.Cannot understand the odd comment about disappointment with higher attendancies.However many turn up wont make the slightest difference to RD.Great atmosphere,promotion form,plenty of injured players soon to come back,hopefully more people will come and give their support to the best team we have had for years.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

PWR

The encouraging thing for me though is that even though Gillingham had most of the ball and pressure in the second half they created little and the impression I formed was that we were managing the game and were quite happy to let them have the ball as they didn't do much with it.

Obviously the stats don't lie, but it seemed to me that every time Gills got the ball they gave it straight back to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Twats in the family stand can shut the fuck up slagging Reeves and Fosu every game.

Mentioned last week twats who know nothing about football. 

Well done the team, Nicky, great shift as well today

Spot on. We have so many fans who think they know so much about football and know nothing.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

No, there were a minimum of 3 defenders goal side of Reeves that I could see, could have been more out of view.
  • Options

Greeted with the news before the game that cabbles would not be attending due to an horrendous hangover from his office Christmas lunch yesterday - weak.
    No matter, the winning machine that we are just forged ahead and leapfrogged Peterborough United into 4th place. This was the game when we finally saw the Fosu who performed so wonderfully well last season.
    Gillingham to their credit had us on the back foot at the beginning with their pressing and they were certainly no AFC Wimbledon(how the hell did they win today?). Ogilvie managed to graze the outside of the post and he followed this up with a dangerous ball into the box.
    Then we set to work and as early as the 6th minute, we went ahead. The goal was initially aided and abetted by their keeper Holy with a misguided throw that was intercepted. Fosu put out a great ball to Reeves who put it past the advancing Czech keeper.
    Lyle Taylor as ever would be instrumental throughout the match, showing the persistency he has in his game and his ability to shield the ball so well. There was great movement with him, Dijksteel, Aribo and finally Fosu as he crashed a wonderful shot against the bar. We were seeing now that Fosu was looking so sharp.
    Chris Solly was making a valuable contribution to proceedings showing us his good vision and awareness.
    Back to Lyle, this boy is willing to show himself all the time in stark contrast to Josh Magennis last season. He's so lively.
    Dean Parrett, who was on loan to us back in 2011 was quite lively for them too.
    In the 37th minute, Reeves had a terrific chance to net his 2nd - he only had to put the ball either side of Holy following good work by Fosu to feed him.
    While all this was going on up front, Pearce was his usual authoritative self at the back.
    Back to the front again. We were treated to a wonder goal by the rejuvenated Fosu. I had only just been uttering to jlow the transformation we had been seeing of him this afternoon.
    They say that 2-0 is the most dangerous score in football. So I was delighted to see the intense concentration on our players faces as we prepared for an immediate Gills corner.
    As the first half came to a close, Charlton Athletic were producing some lovely fluid movement. Word was coming from upstairs that Paul Scally, their chairman was not amused.
    Gillingham came out at the start of the 2nd half with renewed vigour and we had to be on our guard.
    One great moment for me was when Solly went into a 50/50 ball. He went in so hard, it was magnificent to watch.
    The covered end serenaded Lyle Taylor with the Wham Christmas classic and we addicks began to have a seasonal glow.
    It was not only Solly who could put the boot in. Jason Pearce won a crunching tackle.
    As the Gillingham threat begun to slowly subside, Reeves clipped the top of the crossbar.
    Taylor was substituted in the 80th minute and poked his tongue out to the lower west stand. Turning into a legend - this man.
    We just had to concentrate and do our jobs for the last ten minutes or so, but in truth, Gillingham were a bit flat now and a lot of their fans were making an early march to the station.
    Marshall came on for a nanosecond at the end but still created a chance for himself.
    Merry Christmas to all you fellow Charlton lifers.

Feeble
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    cabbles said:

Greeted with the news before the game that cabbles would not be attending due to an horrendous hangover from his office Christmas lunch yesterday - weak.
    No matter, the winning machine that we are just forged ahead and leapfrogged Peterborough United into 4th place. This was the game when we finally saw the Fosu who performed so wonderfully well last season.
    Gillingham to their credit had us on the back foot at the beginning with their pressing and they were certainly no AFC Wimbledon(how the hell did they win today?). Ogilvie managed to graze the outside of the post and he followed this up with a dangerous ball into the box.
    Then we set to work and as early as the 6th minute, we went ahead. The goal was initially aided and abetted by their keeper Holy with a misguided throw that was intercepted. Fosu put out a great ball to Reeves who put it past the advancing Czech keeper.
    Lyle Taylor as ever would be instrumental throughout the match, showing the persistency he has in his game and his ability to shield the ball so well. There was great movement with him, Dijksteel, Aribo and finally Fosu as he crashed a wonderful shot against the bar. We were seeing now that Fosu was looking so sharp.
    Chris Solly was making a valuable contribution to proceedings showing us his good vision and awareness.
    Back to Lyle, this boy is willing to show himself all the time in stark contrast to Josh Magennis last season. He's so lively.
    In the 37th minute, Reeves had a terrific chance to net his 2nd - he only had to put the ball either side of Holy following good work by Fosu to feed him.
    While all this was going on up front, Pearce was his usual authoritative self at the back.
    Back to the front again. We were treated to a wonder goal by the rejuvenated Fosu. I had only just been uttering to jlow the transformation we had been seeing of him this afternoon.
    They say that 2-0 is the most dangerous score in football. So I was delighted to see the intense concentration on our players faces as we prepared for an immediate Gills corner.
    As the first half came to a close, Charlton Athletic were producing some lovely fluid movement. Word was coming from upstairs that Paul Scally, their chairman was not amused.
    Gillingham came out at the start of the 2nd half with renewed vigour and we had to be on our guard.
    One great moment for me was when Solly went into a 50/50 ball. He went in so hard, it was magnificent to watch.
    The covered end serenaded Lyle Taylor with the Wham Christmas classic and we addicks began to have a seasonal glow.
    It was not only Solly who could put the boot in. Jason Pearce won a crunching tackle.
    As the Gillingham threat begun to slowly subside, Reeves clipped the top of the crossbar.
    Taylor was substituted in the 80th minute and poked his tongue out to the lower west stand. Turning into a legend - this man.
    We just had to concentrate and do our jobs for the last ten minutes or so, but in truth, Gillingham were a bit flat now and a lot of their fans were making an early march to the station.
    Marshall came on for a nanosecond at the end but still created a chance for himself.

Feeble
    This. Any proper charlton fan would have had the hair of the dog and got over it straight away.
  • Options

Surprised by some comments Bows included, we passed the ball the best I’ve seen all year, repeated ole’s from our crowd are a clue, The move that ended with Reeves shot blocked by the keepers foot was a long succession of passes.

Taylor playing “hide and seek” with the Gills defender and goal keeper was lovely!

My view, quality performance, give us three months relatively injury free and automatic promotion is achievable.

Bowyer trying to keep players feet firmly on the floor. Confidence is great but he is trying to stop them being over-confident. Best time to get improvement is when people are confident but realise they still need to be better to get to the top.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Feeble
    This. Any proper charlton fan would have had the hair of the dog and got over it straight away.
    I’ve let my family down
  • Options
    Another enjoyable performance and result for the ever improving Charlton. Fosu was outstanding and showed his form from last season. The interchanging of passes between the midfield is of the highest quality.

Gillingham had a go, as expected in the first 5 minutes of the second half but we confidently dealt with that pressure. Four clean sheets in the last eight and at no point did I think Gillingham were going to get one back.

Only disappointment was Ajose, can’t see him starting when Grant gets back.

3 points, a clean sheet and we managed to rest Aribo and Taylor.

Leeee Leeee Leeee Bowyer
  • Options
    I thought we were careless in defence yesterday with our goalkicks, passing out of defence and dawdling on the ball and were lucky not to play ourselves into trouble. A better side than Gillingham may have taken advantage.

Solly was the standout in our defence and looks back to his best despite being played out of position.

Credit to Bowyer and the team to get two comfortable home victories against Wimbledon and Gillingham - these are typically the type of fixtures we would slip up in.

• Options
    Scoham said:

No, definitely not.

I can see you are right. Good decision referee!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

Ajose is running in on the left out of picture with a defender alongside. Not even close IMO.

Neither Steve Lovell or their match report mention it which is a fair indication that they didn’t think it was close.

Mind you, Lovell doesn’t think Holly had anything to do other than the two goals so perhaps his eyesight isn’t that good!

Speaking of Holly, he looks a good goalkeeper and certainly has presence. Good distribution as well. Maybe any new owners could put him on their shopping list?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

No, definitely not.

Cheers Soham... I have to admit after watching it live my first reaction was to look at the Linesman as thought he could have been offside

Great timing all around though
  • Options
    Agree with Hoof It UTB. I fully expected us to gift them a goal with about 15 mins left. I prepared for it......we seemed determined to self destruct. The fact that we didn’t bodes well.....Thought Gillingham looked dangerous until they got anywhere near our goal. Going forward we looked classy and used the flanks well , switching the game. Ajose needs to do more off the ball and run more diagonally. A wins a win. COYR.
  • Options

Scoham said:

No, definitely not.

The left back just staring at Reeves running in as he walks across... Shocking defending.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Scoham said:

No, definitely not.

The left back just staring at Reeves running in as he walks across... Shocking defending.
    Defending for the second goal was just as bad.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Feeble
    I’ve let my family down
    Come on, you’ve let Charlton down, you’ve let us down, you’ve let Bowyer down, you’ve let your family down and you’ve left yourself down :wink:
  • Options
    looks from the very brief highlights that Fosu is back to somewhere near or is again back at his best .. also seems that the Gills had a few chances that better teams would have taken .. mind you, it's impossible to get a decent perspective from a few selected frames of play .. we're up there, now let's get higher (the table that is)
  • Options
    Wonder if the low numbers of Gills supporters was affected by the rail engineering works? No services through Charlton, and the lines from Medway also had rail replacement services.