Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drones at Gatwick

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Chaz Hill said:

All be sorted in future. French company buying Gatwick airport.

@Addickted vows to use only Heathrow a d Stansted
    Biggin Hill.

Private jet :smiley:
    You and your mate the palace chairman
  • Options
    “Drone sightings which shut down Gatwick airport for 36 hours may have been reports of  Sussex Police's aircraft, the force's Chief Constable has admitted.”

Oh dear.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

“Drone sightings which shut down Gatwick airport for 36 hours may have been reports of  Sussex Police's aircraft, the force's Chief Constable has admitted.”

Oh dear.

I heard the whole interview on R4Today this morning. (you can listen here, he was on after the 08.10 bulletin, so about 70 minutes in). I suspected the police may have been hung out to dry on this, but this supposedly head honcho was a disgrace. It was painfully obvious that he had been on emergency media training the previous day.

The people to listen to in this case are the pilots and ATC, and you can get a snapshot on how they see this right now, here. There is huge cynicism, as well as some first hand experience of mis-spotting a drone. One guy points out that drones make quite a lot of noise, and asks if any reports of sightings included audio.

The thing is that the thread started four years ago, as these guys are the ones in the front line if there is a collision. So their cynicism in this case carries a lot of weight, I think.

I now feel sorry for the less senior plod who blurted out the unmentionable. He has been royally shafted by Failing Grayling and the rest of this execrable excuse for a government, while his boss polishes his media skills parroting the Grayling line.

• Options
    Ruskies I tell thee.
  • Options
    So they found two drones around the Gatwick area neither of which were implicated in the drone “attack”
    How many drones are just lying about in the countryside I wonder.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Oh dear.

• Options

So they found two drones around the Gatwick area neither of which were implicated in the drone “attack”

More than you would think actually.
    My grandson got one for last Christmas we took it into a field next to Gatwick Airport for a test run and the poxy thing just took off.
    After 30 minutes of looking for it we went home and played with Lego.
    Oi
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laughable additional security driving into South Terminal this morning.
    One lane shut so (another) traffic holdup as plod slowly walks across the road between each car, presumably checking we had no drones on the roof rack?
    Dur, they were in the boot.
    Seriously though, let’s hope it dies my get closed again until at least Thursday huh
  • Options

Chizz said:

My grandson got one for last Christmas we took it into a field for a test run and the poxy thing just took off.
    To what extent did the drone taking off come as a surprise to you and your grandson?
    The taking off was easy.
    It was trying to turn the bugger round when it shot off.
    Bloody thing had a mind of its own.
    Reading the instructions before hand would probably helped.
    One of the problems is the wind. I have to admit, I quite enjoy flying the little copters in the living room setting myself various challenges. My wife bought me a bigger one for outdoor use a couple of years ago. The problems was, even on a relatively calm day, it was not powerful enough to fight the wind and it wasn't much fun to fly.
  • Options

Chizz said:

My grandson got one for last Christmas we took it into a field for a test run and the poxy thing just took off.
    To what extent did the drone taking off come as a surprise to you and your grandson?
    The taking off was easy.
    One of the problems is the wind. I have to admit, I quite enjoy flying the little copters in the living room setting myself various challenges. My wife bought me a bigger one for outdoor use a couple of years ago. The problems was, even on a relatively calm day, it was not powerful enough to fight the wind and it wasn't much fun to fly.
    Would this help you ?

• Options
    Possibly - do I throw them in the air before flight?
  • Options

Chizz said:

The taking off was easy.
    Wife wanted a bigger chopper.
    impossible
  • Options

Chizz said:

The taking off was easy.
    Wife wanted a bigger chopper.
    Shoulda moved to Asia.
  • Options

Chizz said:

The taking off was easy.
    That's grandchildren for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

Possibly - do I throw them in the air before flight?

I think it says on the packet leave one in your back passage over night. I did, but for all the good it did me I might as well have stuck it up my arse.

Boom, tish. Bob Monkhouse, Bradford Alhambra c 1973
  • Options
    Still no news then. Good job it wasn't ISIS or the IRA "messing around".......
  • Options

How do you know it wasn't terrorist related and we stopped it from happening.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

How do you know it wasn't terrorist related and we stopped it from happening.
    Because if it was then the Security Services, The police & The government would have said so before you could say "lone gunman"

I still have no idea what actually happened but if you beleive it was a man in his pyjamas operating from a semi in a Crawley housing estate then you need your bumps felt.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

One lane shut so (another) traffic holdup as plod slowly walks across the road between each car, presumably checking we had no drones on the roof rack?
    Seriously though, let’s hope it dies my get closed again until at least Thursday huh

Are these security checks still in place does anyone know?

If so is it just for the drop off / collection points or for getting into parking for those flying out as well?

My parents are off to Madeira on Friday so be ideal if I can let them know about any additional delays that mean they might want to leave for the Airport a little earlier than normal
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

If so is it just for the drop off / collection points or for getting into parking for those flying out as well?

My parents are off to Madeira on Friday so be ideal if I can let them know about any additional delays that mean they might want to leave for the Airport a little earlier than normal
    To be honest the “smart motorway” roadworks nonsense will be far more of a delay than the Po-Po lip service if it’s even still there, I’ll keep an eye out for it laters...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

To be honest the “smart motorway” roadworks nonsense will be far more of a delay than the Po-Po lip service if it’s even still there, I’ll keep an eye out for it laters...
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    In the geeky world of amateur radio, (;)) one of the side interests is the tracking of high altitude helium balloons. These devices are fitted with minute radio transmitters, but as they are classed by the CAA as aircraft, there is a limitation on the frequencies and signal strength they are allowed to use. Usually a few miliwatts.

However, this enables them to be tracked by hand held devices for over 100Km depending on height and gives the ability for three or more radios to get a good fix on the balloon package using freely available software.

It's not beyond the realms of technology to fit drones with these devices at manufacture and would cost in the region of about £20 probably less if massed produced. It would obvioiusly need legislation.

Over to you Mr Fayling.

• Options

Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

Cheers
    No dramas, do remember that the whole M23 stretch from the M25 to shatwick is 50mph max though and is proper poops if you’re travelling at rush hour