Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton - Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    reserves said:

I've seen the replay of Pearce's give away and I don't think that's a penalty. He was jockeying to block his man, not a human on earth has the reaction speed to move their arm away. Being honest if we got a penalty given to us for that I would think it's harsh

Can't seem to find our penalty wave away, I am adamant that was a penalty so it would be nice to see it a second time.

Where did you get the clip from? It's just come through as an image for me
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I initially thought that was a dive but looking at that their player has no intention of playing the ball!!

Can even see his arm across Dijksteel's chest so there was obvious ground for him to go down

we were pretty enraged that no pen was given .. but Dijksteel (I though at the time it was Vetokole) did make a bit of a meal of it .. following the Michael Owen school of analysis, there is a fine line between diving and emphasising the fact that you've been fouled .. stay on your feet and the foul is usually ignored, especially in the area, go to ground and take your chances of being accused of diving .. in this case. the referee should have given a pen but I can see why he didn't (the bald headed twit/twot etc)
    I do remember that Scunthorpe player getting right in his face a couple of times afterwards as he felt it was a dive... Because of that I disregarded the incident until I saw that image because even I thought it looked a dive in real time
    It was about 30 yards in front of me as nailed on a penalty as I've seen and I used to give a few away :-)
    And you seemed so nice when I met you 🤣
  • Options
    edited October 2018

RedChaser said:

I initially thought that was a dive but looking at that their player has no intention of playing the ball!!

Can even see his arm across Dijksteel's chest so there was obvious ground for him to go down

we were pretty enraged that no pen was given .. but Dijksteel (I though at the time it was Vetokole) did make a bit of a meal of it .. following the Michael Owen school of analysis, there is a fine line between diving and emphasising the fact that you've been fouled .. stay on your feet and the foul is usually ignored, especially in the area, go to ground and take your chances of being accused of diving .. in this case. the referee should have given a pen but I can see why he didn't (the bald headed twit/twot etc)
    I do remember that Scunthorpe player getting right in his face a couple of times afterwards as he felt it was a dive... Because of that I disregarded the incident until I saw that image because even I thought it looked a dive in real time
    It was about 30 yards in front of me as nailed on a penalty as I've seen and I used to give a few away :-)
    And you seemed so nice when I met you 🤣
    Never judge a book by looking at the cover :wink:
  • Options

reserves said:

I've seen the replay of Pearce's give away and I don't think that's a penalty. He was jockeying to block his man, not a human on earth has the reaction speed to move their arm away. Being honest if we got a penalty given to us for that I would think it's harsh

Can't seem to find our penalty wave away, I am adamant that was a penalty so it would be nice to see it a second time.

Where did you get the clip from? It's just come through as an image for me
    It’s a screenshot from the highlights on Valley Pass

• Options
    Croydon said:

After watching the highlights:-

That's a pen, his arm is away from his body and stops a cross going in, doesn't matter how close he is to the man. We'd be apoplectic if that wasn't given for us.

Steer should have done better for the 1st and 5th, positioning looks all over the place.

We've just had an unbeaten run and have come unstuck on a Tuesday night up North, typical Charlton and there's no need for the mass manning of the panic stations that seems to be happening on here. My only worry is that our defence has just taken another hit when it was already depleted, hopefully Bielik and Mascoll are back from injury sharpish.
    pretty much exactly the same as the pen we didn't get in the play off at Shrewsbury
  • Options

Grant's misses could have put the game to bed but they're not what cost us the game.

Why is she a better finisher than our Karlan
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2018
    LenGlover said:

Rob said:

That was so bad defensively. I felt that moving Solly to the left didn't help and I felt that when the sub was made and not in hindsight. This totally unbalanced us at the back. That, coupled with Sarr in the middle, really did unhinge us and we were all over the place at the back all of the game basically.

A bit of an anomaly this game, actually, as it was so unlike how we've been playing all season. And maybe it was going to happen anyway as we were all over the place for their early first goal when Page was still on the field and Solly was at RB.

So, I'm just putting it down to a bad day at the office But, what a bad day it was. So many players were just off. I don't think Pratley contributed anything. Grant was off all game. Taylor, Fosu, Cullen and Aribo were ok but were up against it as our defence was so bad. Couldn't blame Dijksteel. I thought he played pretty well. Steer, Solly and Sarr were all pretty awful. Pearce was up against it and couldn't stem the tide. Our overall shape at the back was just off.

I thought the substitution of Igor for Fosu was wrong. Would have preferred for him to replace Grant who I thought was ineffective the whole game.

Maybe it was the atmosphere (or lack of) that affected the players. It certainly was a dreary game. I don't mind losing if it was a good performance but that performance was woeful. So different to every other game this season. It was all so out of character.

Any other day I believe we would have beaten Scunthorpe pretty easily but not with the defensive shambles we had out there today.

Onwards and upwards. It'll be nice to get back home for Coventry on Saturday.

I wasn't there and didn't see it on ifollow or whatever it's called but I'm intrigued by the use of the word 'dreary' in relation to a match that ended 5-3 albeit that we lost?

No intention of being critical just curious.
    Fair point. Maybe 'dreary' was the wrong word. I felt we were lacking our spark of late. There were glimpses but that was more than outweighed by what happened at our defensive end. For me it all ended up as a dreary (maybe tedious is a better word) game which wasn't helped by the small and quiet crowd. At least on iFollow anyway. It all felt quite surreal actually.
  • Options
    I just watched the penalty against Pearce in slow motion.
    I've changed my mind again.
    It was a penalty.
    As the ball is about to be kicked Pearce had his arm down.
    His arm goes up as the ball is being kicked.

PS Just before this (10 secs), the ball appears to hit Novak on the arm.
  • Options
    Steer was at fault for the first goal but anyone blaming him for any of the others is being ridiculous.
  • Options

I just watched the penalty against Pearce in slow motion.
    I've changed my mind again.
    It was a penalty.
    As the ball is about to be kicked Pearce had his arm down.
    His arm goes up as the ball is being kicked.

PS Just before this (10 secs), the ball appears to hit Novak on the arm.

I told everyone Tuesday night it was a penalty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What were the lyrics out of interest to the version of 'allez allez allez' our fans were singing? I caught some of it but not the beginning
  • Options

Seems the MoM nomination can fuck up a team even before it's announced :(
    There are only two explanations for Drysdale's performance: he's utterly incompetent or he's mostly incompetent and hates Charlton. Based on past experience of his interference in Charlton matches, I favour the latter.
    By no measure could Pearce have avoided that ball but Drysdale deems it deliberate, Aribo is hauled down but he decides otherwise.
    Sadly his malfeasance probably didn't alter the result. Charlton's defence was piss weak all night.
    Lewis Page is barely a player to start with but playing him injured was bizarre. Did he con himself and all others by convincing himself he was capable? I doubt Bow, Jacko et al are all reckless enough to play him just hoping for the best, surely they were relying on LP's assessment of his fitness? But with Pratley's performance after his supposed recovery maybe they are inclined to take massive risks. I think DP is 100 times the player LP is ever likely to be, so he can't really have been fit last night can he?
    The other returning from injury fiasco can have no excuses, Grant just stank the place up Billy Big Bollocks is just bollocks - poor decision making, not cos he couldn't get it right, he was just plain greedy "scored a couple of goals lately I'm the bomb, not passing whatever" prick can stew on the bench a while longer if he thinks that's a worthy performance. Form is temporary class (!) is permanent. Looks like he's yet to learn a fucking thing from Taylor in their months together.
    What to do about the lack of fit, capable defenders?
    Steer or Phillips? Pays your money, takes your choice, both are far from perfect, both capable of very good saves and shotstopping, both prone to goal losing blunders.
    Bow favoured a back 3/5 when he had more resources and I reckon this will make more out of what he has available. Something like (from right to left): Dijksteel, Solly, Pearce, Sarr, Marshall - talk of Solly on the left and Marshall on the right is arrant fuckwittery - Marshall is hopelessly one footed, he has shown creditable application as a full back but is mortally hampered playing on the right, whether forward or back. Further forward, Reeves is back to the lightweight inadequate
    shambles and will be lucky to make the 17. Fosu, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor pick themselves plus one of Vetokele, Ajose or Lapslie, depending on formation. The returns of Bielik, Ward, Bauer and Clarke can't come too soon.

The question remains who hates Charlton more.....Drysdale or you?
  • Options
    No way is that a penalty. His hands are by his side and don’t move and the ball is blasted at him from a metre away.
    As for Steer - hard to tell if he could save any of them but it don’t look great. Lots of ‘diving for the cameras’ but not getting anywhere near the ball. Not convinced.
  • Options
    Watched the Pearce Penalty in slow Mo and am certain that it is the ball striking his hand that makes his hand move.
  • Options

The margins between success and failure in this league are very small.

So far 130 matches have been played - 23.55% of the season's total of 552. There have been 43 draws (33%), 56 one-goal wins (43%), 17 wins (13%) by 2 goals, 10 (8%) by 3 goals, 3 (2%) by 4 goals and 1 (1%) by 5 goals. So, over three-quarters of games have been drawn or settled by a single goal.

It's said that luck evens itself out over the course of a long season. I'm not sure that's true, especially regarding the massive impact injuries can have. Jus' sayin'.
  • Options
    Luck does even itself out. The same applies to injuries. But, that doesn’t make it any easier when it goes against you.
  • Options
    It is one of the things you look at when you go on a run. Are we beating teams comfortably by a couple of goals or more or are they close games. When you look at late goals we have scored, I suppose it isn't unreasonable to identify that if we are mildly unlucky, a win or a draw can become a defeat. We forget times when we have won where we have been mildly lucky!

I would say that we are a decent team at this level so for us to lose we have to be unlucky - but that is going to happen from time to time. If we dominate teams more we might need worse luck to lose! Anyway, I fully expect us to put it right on Saturday - luck permitting!
  • Options
    I am convinced that the referee and the female assistant were more than just colleagues.
  • Options

I am convinced that the referee and the female assistant were more than just colleagues.

indeed .. the half time shagging session on the half way line was a dead giveaway
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Was one of the Linesmen a female on Tuesday???

Edit: Bugger me!!... So she was!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes and she bottled the penalty shout for Novak's challenge on Djiksteel :-(
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Or she didn't think it was a penalty!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Get over it red we lost
  • Options
    clive said:
    Well said Kev
    I wouldn't mind but when we play it out from the back half the time naby don't look comfortable on the ball
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Or she didn't think!
    Fixed that for you Mutts.
  • Options

'How can you come out with such twaddle almost every match?