Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scunthorpe v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Every time we went forward we looked like scoring
    And every time our defence were passing the ball about at the back I was sh!thing myself
  • edited October 2018
    A very very strange game......at times (particularly in the first half), we were playing them off the park with some delightful stuff, no one in the ground could quite believe they went in 3-2 up.....least of all yours truly.
    We were at no time second best, yet somehow contrived to concede 5!!!
    Ref wasn’t sure about the pen (didn’t give it right away), but it was the lino who confirmed it.....he swayed the ref to give it.
  • I've been worried about lack of defensive and defensive midfield cover for weeks, we are short in that area, and the injury to Page highlights it. Personally (and this isn't hindsight as I said it before tonight) I would have preferred an extra defender to cover LB/CB to an attacking player like Ward.

I've not seen the goals, or the match thread as I was out, but a serious question has to be asked about whether Steer deserves to keep his place over Dillon.
  • Just the way the game goes sometimes but that doesn’t stop me feeling annoyed. You play that game 100 times and we win it 75 out of 100.

Well, if you think dispassionately, that's good news.
    Slightly better to have been unlucky, than knowing you should have lost 5-1, but fluked a 5-3.
  • Leuth said:

The goals were awful near-post work from idk who, a screamer, a screw-up by Taylor/Dijksteel, a bad penalty call and a breakaway at the end. That doesn't say 'systemic problems' to me, it says 'everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong'

Spot on.
  • Just back in hotel room.

Worse performance of the season, defence and Pratley all over the place with heavy touches and short passes putting us under unnecessary pressure.

To much of a gap between defence and midfield and lost the midfield battle and was bullied.

Positive going forward looked like we would score every time.

Summary poor mistakes and errors cost us

Sounds like we performed like Plymouth at The Valley.
  • edited October 2018
    Laddick01 said:

Page out for a while according to Bowyer, should we start looking elsewhere for a LB that can actually manage 30+ games a season?

Really a shame coz he's been very good so far this season! He's very unlucky with injuries rather than being made of glass though!
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

Just back in hotel room.

Worse performance of the season, defence and Pratley all over the place with heavy touches and short passes putting us under unnecessary pressure.

To much of a gap between defence and midfield and lost the midfield battle and was bullied.

Why are we playing it out from the back all the time
    Half the time we put ourselves under pressure
    Bowyer disagrees.
  • clb74 said:

Just back in hotel room.

Bowyer disagrees.
    When the times right CE we do it every time.
  • Laddick01 said:

Page out for a while according to Bowyer, should we start looking elsewhere for a LB that can actually manage 30+ games a season?

JDS only played 75 minutes of league football, we should have got him back
  • A very very strange game......at times (particularly in the first half), we were playing them off the park with some delightful stuff), no one in the ground could quite believe they went in 3-2 up.....least of all yours truly.
    We were at no time second best, yet somehow contrived to concede 5!!!
    Ref wasn’t sure about the pen (didn’t give it right away), but it was the lino who confirmed it.....he swayed the ref to give it.

Maybe we was way to open for an away game! But it does mean weird to play so well going forward score 3 and lose!
  • Oggy Red said:

Remember ...... "don't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low".

I like Bowyer's quotes:
    "We'll have to sort it out. It's not acceptable. Conceding how many goals? Seven in the last two games. Scoring five away from home and not winning...it's not good enough."

Or this one: “I’ve just said to them you can’t go away and score three goals and not win the game. You can’t. You can’t go away from home and score two goals [at Luton on Saturday] and not win the game. We’ll have to sort that out."

Sort it out, Bow.

With our defence can we do both.
    If we try and protect the defence more are we going to score 2 or 3 goals away from home.
    Even scoring 3 tonight I'm going to say we need to take our chances
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Just back in hotel room.

Bowyer disagrees.
    I agree and said to Bowyer that we shouldn't play it out from the back every time, when we are being quickly closed down.
    I thought we needed to vary it sometimes, if the situation warranted it.
    Bowyer said I was wrong. Fair enough.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Just back in hotel room.

Bowyer disagrees.
    I agree and said to Bowyer that we shouldn't play it out from the back every time, when we are being quickly closed down.
    Did you watch the game on ifollow
  • Funny that Fosu comes back in and we start conceding goals left right and centre!
  • Sponsored links:

• Think his arm is out not at side of his body.thats why his given it even though it’s probably ball to hand. It’s a tough one and the refs probably gone with instinct. Not seen replays but it’s some you get some you don’t. But I can’t believe his not gave us a penalty either. This would have got him out of jail and he would not be questioned on a 50-50 penalty decision that decides the match.
  • ... but we go again on Saturday

Good of you to post here, Sir Chris.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Just back in hotel room.

Bowyer disagrees.
    You're right if the opposition presses bypass playing it out of the back and go more direct. Standard tactic that I taught my U12s for years
  • edited October 2018
    Laddick01 said:

We cannot sign anyone until the New Year. Otherwise I am sure we would have done so once the chronic nature of Page's injury became clearer.

Perhaps Katrien will then give us Fox back. It would be good to have another scapegoat to share the abuse.
  • Laddick01 said:

We cannot sign anyone until the New Year. Otherwise I am sure we would have done so once the chronic nature of Page's injury became clearer.

Perhaps Katrien will then give us Fox back. It would be good to have another scapegoat to share the abuse.
    Think we can sign free agents

West Brom managed to today.

• edited October 2018
    Mr Humphries makes it 5 and loves giving Charlton a good seeing too!
  • edited October 2018
    I just wanna throw out there this is my first game of the season other than watching the ifollow and I have to say I think we are quite a way from being a top2 team

I'm not sure if Phillips is good enough, Steer isn't I am confident of that now

Solly just isn't Solly anymore, love the guy but I don't even rate his one on one defending anymore, we need a proper athletic right back, same goes for Page, Page is good but how can we have any consistency with a guy made of glass, two areas that once Roland fucks off we really need to improve on, as for the centre backs it's the same old, we lose confidence without big Bauer.

Going forward the rest ain't so bad, could do with a proper centre defensive mid and another winger to match Fosu but I think Taylor is our best front man since Yann and comfortably as well, with Grant improving as well I would say we are one solid striker away from having a potent strike force for this level.

All wishful thinking but everytime we play a team like Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury, Doncaster etc I always leave thinking we could do with a few of their players and without trying to sound too arrogant I shouldn't be thinking that against clubs like those

Ah well, safe travels to those that still have to make the trip home and on to the next one
  • RobRob
    edited October 2018
    That was so bad defensively. I felt that moving Solly to the left didn't help and I felt that when the sub was made and not in hindsight. This totally unbalanced us at the back. That, coupled with Sarr in the middle, really did unhinge us and we were all over the place at the back all of the game basically.

A bit of an anomaly this game, actually, as it was so unlike how we've been playing all season. And maybe it was going to happen anyway as we were all over the place for their early first goal when Page was still on the field and Solly was at RB.

So, I'm just putting it down to a bad day at the office But, what a bad day it was. So many players were just off. I don't think Pratley contributed anything. Grant was off all game. Taylor, Fosu, Cullen and Aribo were ok but were up against it as our defence was so bad. Couldn't blame Dijksteel. I thought he played pretty well. Steer, Solly and Sarr were all pretty awful. Pearce was up against it and couldn't stem the tide. Our overall shape at the back was just off.

I thought the substitution of Igor for Fosu was wrong. Would have preferred for him to replace Grant who I thought was ineffective the whole game.

Maybe it was the atmosphere (or lack of) that affected the players. It certainly was a dreary game. I don't mind losing if it was a good performance but that performance was woeful. So different to every other game this season. It was all so out of character.

Any other day I believe we would have beaten Scunthorpe pretty easily but not with the defensive shambles we had out there today.

Onwards and upwards. It'll be nice to get back home for Coventry on Saturday.