Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    I'm stating I don't believe in 'luck' as the term is used so freely.

Can you tell me it wasn't going to be a goal already?

Mount made his own luck by having a shot. He speculated someone might make a mistake and so was rewarded with a goal.

I hate it when people pass off success as luck. People who work harder or try things more often always seem to be more 'lucky' weird isn't it.

It's almost like their work is being rewarded.

I think we are definitely not going to agree here, however do you think its luck or skill how united get alot of Penalties? Surely they consistently get them it must not be luck

One penalty decision, can be a bit of luck like ours was

One shot can get lucky, like Mount did. From where the ball was going to where it ended up it looked like there was a huge element of luck, i get your thinking and i wont dismiss it completely as i agree that Mount made his own luck. However it was a very lucky goal and unlikely without the huge deflection he woulds score. 

Or even more simply if Mount did not mean to hit the defender in his shot, there is luck. Regardless whether he is shooting or not, no shot has the divine right to go in and i dont really agree you cant put it down to solely luck going in.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'm stating I don't believe in 'luck' as the term is used so freely.

Can you tell me it wasn't going to be a goal already?

Mount made his own luck by having a shot. He speculated someone might make a mistake and so was rewarded with a goal.

I hate it when people pass off success as luck. People who work harder or try things more often always seem to be more 'lucky' weird isn't it.

It's almost like their work is being rewarded.

I think we are definitely not going to agree here, however do you think its luck or skill how united get alot of Penalties? Surely they consistently get them it must not be luck

One penalty decision, can be a bit of luck like ours was

One shot can get lucky, like Mount did. From where the ball was going to where it ended up it looked like there was a huge element of luck, i get your thinking and i wont dismiss it completely as i agree that Mount made his own luck. However it was a very lucky goal and unlikely without the huge deflection he woulds score. 

Or even more simply if Mount did not mean to hit the defender in his shot, there is luck. Regardless whether he is shooting or not, no shot has the divine right to go in and i dont really agree you cant put it down to solely luck going in.
    Maybe the way the term luck is often used is the bit that I disagree with.  Likely because people seem to treat luck like it is some magical force.

People often believe that some have more or less luck by default. "I'm so unlucky, you're so lucky, I never win anything" etc That bugs me. How many times did you enter the competition? How much/hard did you train at the thing? The other person has usually earned their place through hard work or multiple competition entries etc. 

United get a lot of penalties either by forcing errors in by running at players and often by buying them by going over easy or outrightly cheating by hounding the referee or diving. I believe that you hit shots knowing that you intend it to go in the net and you know it can fly wide or over or be saved... It can also be fumbled or deflected in. 

I believe that if you make your own opportunities you seem to have more so called luck.

So yeah on contemplation I don't believe in luck in the way many overuse the term.

I'll admit the deflection was a combination of speculation and that led to luck. 

• I think people are forgetting that across football you have players without a decent pre season, 2 international games, a crowded club schedule followed by 3 internationals in 7 days. These are matches where managers are managing minutes as much as trying to get results.

With yet another game on Wednesday followed by another THREE internationals in November, the likes of Grealish will get plenty of opportunities
    World Cup Qualifying starts in March with another three games then too

This is almost ideal preparation for Southgate in a way as feels he's got more genuine competitive games to work out his best team for Euro 2021...

Plenty will see that as a negative but I genuinely dont think he needs to know a settled England eleven, what he needs to know is what eleven to put out in a set scenario depending on the opposition and the way they setup themselves 
    Also another 3 qualifiers in the first week of September. So when players are literally just back into the new season after a long season and then the Euro's, there's another 3 games.

With all the WC qualifiers, plus i'm sure some warm up friendlies prior to the Euro's any country going far at the Euro's could play around 19 or 20 international games in 2021. That's crazy.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54363934

Manager Gareth Southgate says Kieran Trippier's withdrawal from the England squad to face Denmark in the Nations League is "another distraction".
    Atletico Madrid full-back Trippier, 30, reportedly left the team to attend a Football Association hearing over a betting charge given to him in May.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54363934

Manager Gareth Southgate says Kieran Trippier's withdrawal from the England squad to face Denmark in the Nations League is "another distraction".
    Atletico Madrid full-back Trippier, 30, reportedly left the team to attend a Football Association hearing over a betting charge given to him in May.
    Emphasises my point from earlier. We simply cannot manage to get our best team on the pitch. Not saying he is a shoe in but too many of our players get caught up in shit when in reality we need to have everyone ready to hit the ground running for any game at any time. Problems all the time 
  • New Zealand have cancelled their friendly with us in November
  • Blimey, these players are not using their heads at the moment. I think they were cooped up too long with the lockdown
    I imagine Southgate won't be unhappy. Having 3 games in an international break is ridiculous anyway
    I imagine Southgate won't be unhappy. Having 3 games in an international break is ridiculous anyway
    England are apparently going to find a new opponent

Its probably in UEFA's rules that we have to play someone
  • Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I know I have said this before, but there's no such thing as luck. 

People are willing to reject sightings of Ghosts or UFO's but willing to believe in luck?
    There's absolutely such a thing as luck. Scientifically it's probably more accurately described as probability or statistical something-or-other but it exists.
    Mount's shot hitting someone at the exact right point that it moved in exactly that way and went in is exactly what luck is. Of all the potential outcomes, this one fell in England's favour but if you repeated the exact same circumstances in exactly the same way the ball would end up somewhere completely different.
     Luck is not a thing. 

The defender was forced into a mistake. Do you think the defender thought 'Oh that was unlucky' or 'Should have got more on it/Committed sooner/Stood him up a second longer'.

Freak goals like Darren Bent's beach ball assisted goal are harder to argue...

What you've explained is the physics of the way the ball moved after it left Mount's boot and its direction was changed by a defender trying to clear and making a mistake. 

Mount receives the ball, defender tries to read Mount's intent, Mount shoots defender mistakenly mistimes block, ball ends up in the same goal it was headed towards, just with a loop rather than the direct line it left his boot. 

Was the penalty Dier gave away unlucky? No he made a mistake. No luck incorrect decision to try and slide past Lukaku. 
    Dier wasn't unlucky - but Lukaku fooled the ref. The ball was going off to the right and instead of following it, Lukaku moved left so he would fall over Dier.  

Our penalty wasn't exactly crime of the century either. 
    Go to ground like Dier did and any decent striker is going to fall over you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Mount over Grealish again. He’s doing it for a laugh at this point I’m sure.

A young RB over an actual LB at LB is criminal too.
  • Can’t see us breaking Denmark down with that lineup. 

Expect a lot of sideways passing in front of their back 10.
  • Laddick01 said:

I always presumed that Maitland-Niles was a Left-Back
  • Laddick01 said:

I dunno, one scored the winning goal against the number one ranked team in the world, the other got an assist against the Wales B team. It's not exactly an unconscionable selection decision is it?
  • edited October 2020
    I’m not quite sure what we get out of seeing Rashford and Mount start again. 

Southgate must really dislike Grealish.
  • As said before Southgate will keep playing the same players until a change such as injury forces his hand. He is leaving out form players and picking his starting team based on loyalty. He is an idiot
  • Laddick01 said:

I dunno, one scored the winning goal against the number one ranked team in the world, the other got an assist against the Wales B team. It's not exactly an unconscionable selection decision is it?
    Deflected goal vs an absolutely class assist.

Thats not the best argument.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:

It's a perfect argument. It doesn't matter that it was deflected, Mount scored the winner and had a good game against Belgium, who are a very good side. Grealish's assist was also very good. Personally I think I would have liked to see Grealish start as well, but acting like Southgate is taking the piss selecting the bloke who scored the winner in our last game is just silly. It's not like he's picked Deji to play there is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• On what planet are you picking Dan James over Alexander-Arnold?? 

Grealish v Mount is a joke. Mount must be Southgate's son for this level of favoritism. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:

It's a perfect argument. It doesn't matter that it was deflected, Mount scored the winner and had a good game against Belgium, who are a very good side. Grealish's assist was also very good. Personally I think I would have liked to see Grealish start as well, but acting like Southgate is taking the piss selecting the bloke who scored the winner in our last game is just silly. It's not like he's picked Deji to play there is it?
    If a huge deflection and not a lot else means you had a good game then I don’t know what the standards is.

He dropped Grealish after a good performance, yet retains Mount this game. He must have something against Grealish which seems ridiculous considering how good he’s been this season.

I don’t hate Mount, but it’s worrying when managers blatantly favour certain players.
  • Is there no way of fitting both Mount and Grealish in the same side?
  • How the fuck has he not picked Sancho again?
  • Leuth said:
    Is there no way of fitting both Mount and Grealish in the same side?
    There is, but you’d have to take out a CB

Thats far too risky for Gareth. 
  • Would’ve liked to have seen Henderson given a go in goal.
  • On what planet are you picking Dan James over Alexander-Arnold?? 

Grealish v Mount is a joke. Mount must be Southgate's son for this level of favoritism. 
    I don’t think we get much from seeing TAA again. 

Plus TAA is woefully out of form. Don’t think he had a great game against Belgium (Walker covered him 2 or 3 times). 

James deserves a go.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:

If a huge deflection and not a lot else means you had a good game then I don’t know what the standards is.

He dropped Grealish after a good performance, yet retains Mount this game. He must have something against Grealish which seems ridiculous considering how good he’s been this season.

I don’t hate Mount, but it’s worrying when managers blatantly favour certain players.
    Except that's not all Mount did. He had a decent game, he adds a lot more to a game in terms of defensive input, movement and shape than people notice, which is why he keeps getting picked for Chelsea and England. Football's not all just eye-catching runs. It was a team performance that beat Belgium. He didn't drop Grealish, he played a different side for a friendly, which every manager does. Again, I like Grealish a lot, but the idea that it's ludicrous to play Mount ahead of him is just daft. They're both good players, it's entirely possible that a manager can pick someone to do a job rather than having 'something against' one player and choosing to 'blatantly favour' another. Maybe Mount will play well, maybe Grealish will come on and change the game. It's good that we have these options
  • Oops Rashford.