Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 04 Aug | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

A lot of young players are going to have to play in circumstances that are less than ideal to say the least.

if as a result of that we have poor results I am of the opinion that it will be less because those players aren't good enough, but because the squad as a whole doesn't provide enough cushioning to help ease those players in in a managed way. And we all know whose fault that is.

I have watched a lot of Lapslie, Phillips, Fairchild, Grant, Maloney, Blumberg, as well as Aribo and Djiksteel and others. I would say that those players will try their hardest and give their best in the circumstances, they won't be bertie big bollocksing about, and if it goes wrong they absolutely won't mean it. In fact whether they are good enough or not, they will be the opposite of mercenaries, and we have had a fair few of those recently.

The point I am trying to make is that I fervently hope that fans don't dig straight in to those youngsters. Fox and Lennon did not exactly benefit from a supportive fan culture at Charlton, and whilst Djiksteel and Aribo and a few others have been accepted early, it is easy in the face of failure to scapegoat far too quickly.

I suppose my thoughts are along the lines of would you rather have a Ryan Blumberg than a Roger Johnson if the kind of choices are that stark?

Forgive a bit more readily, love a bit more strongly, and these youngsters might surprise people more than they think, but maybe later than they think.

Absolutely. Whatever team we have to put out I can't see them not giving it their all. If that's not good enough then there can be no blame on them. If nothing else good comes of this season at least we will see some of the academy players step up.
  • Options
    Sooooo fed up!!!! The JFC news has just finished me off. Been going all through Rolands painful tenure but come 31/08 if we have the same lack of players then I just give up. From what could have been a classic away perfomance now reads 4-0 Sunderland. Just hope now for no more injuries.
  • Options
    Sage said:

If anyone is interested, Bauer to score first and draw 1-1 is 170/1 on bet365, just thought that was quite good odds.

Put a bet on Ahearne-Grant at 8/1 and then if it doesn't come in, get onto them and say it should be voided because Ahearne-Grant wasn't playing.

I suspect they'd do the same in reverse to avoid paying out!
  • Options
    What a shambles of a club and what a car crash it’s been under RDs reign.
    Where are the EFL in all this?
    We have no CEO, no CFO, no permanent manager and now hardly any players.
    No update for the fans - the people who rescued this club from the brink - on the takeover.
    When will this nightmare end? Or more worryingly, perhaps it won’t.
  • Options
    My fear is we will be bullied and I know enough about the lower divisions to say teams will be allowed to. Not sure we can stay up with that midfield the more I think about it. An enforcer is required more than anything.
  • Options

Sage said:

If anyone is interested, Bauer to score first and draw 1-1 is 170/1 on bet365, just thought that was quite good odds.

Put a bet on Ahearne-Grant at 8/1 and then if it doesn't come in, get onto them and say it should be voided because Ahearne-Grant wasn't playing.

I suspect they'd do the same in reverse to avoid paying out!
    He doesn't play for us anymore.
  • Options
    Fully expecting our bench tomorrow to be of a Checkatrade trophy level of experience.
  • Options

Fully expecting our bench tomorrow to be of a Checkatrade trophy level of experience.

I went to the OS to check whose left..... not been updated of squad numbers or players (Magennis still on there).

I'm convinced the reason no one has been given the number 4 shirt is Bowyer is half expecting to have to pull Jacko out of retirement......

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Fosu Aribo 'x' Marshall
    Taylor Grant

X is for JFC, if he has done his ACL then I really don't know.

As for Bench, Ashley Maynard Brewer, Sarr, and a couple crocks only good for 15 minutes plus maybe a couple of U23's.

We're going to get thumped, midfield will be lost.
  • Options

My fear is we will be bullied and I know enough about the lower divisions to say teams will be allowed to. Not sure we can stay up with that midfield the more I think about it. An enforcer is required more than anything.

Isn’t that Pratley (genuine question)?
  • Options

is that true about JFC - not seen anything yet other than on here.

why are they training today and not travelling up there ?

just realised I thought yesterday was Friday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I went to the OS to check whose left..... not been updated of squad numbers or players (Magennis still on there).

I'm convinced the reason no one has been given the number 4 shirt is Bowyer is half expecting to have to pull Jacko out of retirement......

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Fosu Aribo 'x' Marshall
    Taylor Grant

X is for JFC, if he has done his ACL then I really don't know.

As for Bench, Ashley Maynard Brewer, Sarr, and a couple crocks only good for 15 minutes plus maybe a couple of U23's.

We're going to get thumped, midfield will be lost.
    Fosu injured for the foreseeable too - don’t forget @Rob7Lee
  • Options

hear they've sold about 28,000 for this so far

gonna be a lot of disappointed mackems come 3pm tomorrow

Agreed, only beating us 3-0 when we play a team full of kids will be disappointing for them.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Isn’t that Pratley (genuine question)?
    Let's hope so - it is always hope isn't it - hope against hope. It is a chore - nothing more, nothing less!
  • Options
    Me too. Was reading it thinking no way will they be travelling up on the day of the game.
  • Options
    This. I’ve never known us to be so feeble going into a season. Even under Lennie when we had no home and were skint, a squad blended with enough experience to help the kids was built.

• Options
    Is Minto presenting the live coverage tomorrow? I hope he’s across the latest shambles and can educate the ‘audience’ accurately. Is he on Twitter?
  • Options
    I doubt it, he only tends to do the champ - probably David Prutton(sp) presenting.

Minto did do a bit on his instagram page mentioning us though
  • Options
    seth plum said:

A lot of young players are going to have to play in circumstances that are less than ideal to say the least.

if as a result of that we have poor results I am of the opinion that it will be less because those players aren't good enough, but because the squad as a whole doesn't provide enough cushioning to help ease those players in in a managed way. And we all know whose fault that is.

I have watched a lot of Lapslie, Phillips, Fairchild, Grant, Maloney, Blumberg, as well as Aribo and Djiksteel and others. I would say that those players will try their hardest and give their best in the circumstances, they won't be bertie big bollocksing about, and if it goes wrong they absolutely won't mean it. In fact whether they are good enough or not, they will be the opposite of mercenaries, and we have had a fair few of those recently.

The point I am trying to make is that I fervently hope that fans don't dig straight in to those youngsters. Fox and Lennon did not exactly benefit from a supportive fan culture at Charlton, and whilst Djiksteel and Aribo and a few others have been accepted early, it is easy in the face of failure to scapegoat far too quickly.

I suppose my thoughts are along the lines of would you rather have a Ryan Blumberg than a Roger Johnson if the kind of choices are that stark?

Forgive a bit more readily, love a bit more strongly, and these youngsters might surprise people more than they think, but maybe later than they think.

Spot on, Seth. I am worried that throwing some of these young lads into the League 1 bearpit before they are ready (as Lee Bowyer acknowledges) will seriously knock their confidence and totally undermine their long term development. It’s a diabolical and disgracefully neglectful situation, especially given the care and skill which has been devoted to these lads as they’ve been nurtured through the Academy by Steve Avory and his team.

I can also imagine players like Pratley and Taylor having to play out of necessity when they are not fully fit and knackering themselves as a result. What the hell are we going to do then ? No doubt we’ll pick up a few free agents here and there but Duchatelet’s reluctance to pay wages through the summer means that most (if not all) the better ones have been snapped up. The downward spiral is relentless - the squad is a net 8 players down on last season, with 5 of those who remain out with long term injuries.

At the risk of understatement, it is going to be a very, very difficult season.

As for tomorrow, at least one thing that Lee Bowyer won’t have to worry about is how to try and change things from the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Minto covered the Gillingham v Portsmouth game on TV last season
  • Options
    I hope, if needed, to be putting updates on match day thread, but unfortunately, as this game is on Sky, I will stupidly watching it so, probably the best thing, but I will not be covering this match sorry.
  • Options
    Given our predicament, I think I'd play Naby at left back, with Lewis Page left midfield and hope that Pratley can do 45-60mins. That way we would minimise the need to throw in youth players - at the outset, at least.
  • Options
    I'm hoping fosu isn't out for as long as they said, his range of movement looks fine in Igors instagram story of him dancing
  • Options

I'm hoping fosu isn't out for as long as they said, his range of movement looks fine in Igors instagram story of him dancing

Apparently the issue is only apparent when he opens out in a 'sprint'

Rate we are going Fosu on a zimmerframe might be the best option we have.
  • Options

Given our predicament, I think I'd play Naby at left back, with Lewis Page left midfield

Other way around. Unleash Naby
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Given our predicament, I think I'd play Naby at left back, with Lewis Page left midfield and hope that Pratley can do 45-60mins. That way we would minimise the need to throw in youth players - at the outset, at least.

Not exactly the worst idea in the world. If we were to do that I’d like to be a 3/5 at the back but no chance as Bowyer and the team haven’t worked on it at all in pre-season. But for theoretical speaking...

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Sarr Page
    Marshall Pratley Aribo Grant
    Taylor

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Solly Pratley Aribo Page
    Marshall Taylor Grant

Not a chance though.
  • Options
    I too would find a way to get Sarr starting. I think Bowyer is a 4-4-2 man which complicates that. Starting Prately and Taylor if they are unfit sounds like asking for trouble. Problem is it is difficult to see the answers. We have had the Summer to get players fit and raring to go and to be in this much trouble - probably as bad as any of us can recall for any game - is evidence of criminal neglect from an owner who deserves........ I'd better stop there. We all know what we would like to do to the bastard.
  • Options
    Or even playing Marshall wb and moving Solly infield where he has played before.