Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 04 Aug | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Ok, let’s get my optimistic spin on this.......

Oh.
  • Options
    5 nil Sunderland-------at least 2more injuries and one sending off.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Can't access the site unless I register.

• Options
    Is Aribo our only fit central mid now?
  • Options
    Time to put Sarr in there? This is car crash territory!
  • Options
    Sarr will probably have to start up top at this rate but I don't see anyone else.

We all dream of a team of Naby Sarrs
  • Options
    What a fucking mess we are.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Sarr will probably have to start up top at this rate but I don't see anyone else.

We all dream of a team of Naby Sarrs

I gave you a lol.

But it's not funny.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Squad numbers:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b62d2f37d139/201819-squad-numbers-revealed

A full list of squad numbers for 2018/19 can be found below:

1 Dillon Phillips (gk)

2 Anfernee Dijksteel

3 Lewis Page

5 Patrick Bauer

6 Jason Pearce

7 Mark Marshall

8 Jake Forster-Caskey

9 Lyle Taylor

10 Billy Clarke

11 Tariqe Fosu

12 Ben Reeves

14 Igor Vetokele

15 Darren Pratley

17 Joe Aribo

18 Karlan Grant

19 Albie Morgan

20 Chris Solly

23 Naby Sarr

25 Nicky Ajose

31 Ashley Maynard-Brewer (gk)

32 George Lapslie

33 Mikhail Kennedy

34 Jamie Mascoll

35 Joshua Umerah

36 Taylor Maloney

37 Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Look on the bright side, Muttley.

We can put a team out on Saturday. Just about.

• Options

1 Dillon Phillips (gk) Unproven

2 Anfernee Dijksteel Injured

3 Lewis Page Injury prone

5 Patrick Bauer

6 Jason Pearce

7 Mark Marshall

8 Jake Forster-Caskey Injured

9 Lyle Taylor Not fully match fit

10 Billy Clarke Injured

11 Tariqe Fosu Injured

12 Ben Reeves Injured

14 Igor Vetokele Injured

15 Darren Pratley Not match fit

17 Joe Aribo

18 Karlan Grant Unproven at this level

19 Albie Morgan Unproven

20 Chris Solly Seriously injury prone

23 Naby Sarr

25 Nicky Ajose

31 Ashley Maynard-Brewer (gk) Unproven

32 George Lapslie Unproven

33 Mikhail Kennedy Unproven

34 Jamie Mascoll Unproven

35 Joshua Umerah Unproven

36 Taylor Maloney Unproven

37 Reeco Hackett-Fairchild Unproven

We are stuffed unless a ridiculous number of the unproven, prove themselves!

You forgot to put leaving next to Ajose, which leaves us with just 5 first team players that we don’t have a problem with of some kind, 3 of them are centre backs...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    One of the 5 was told he could leave at the end of last season and I suspect hasn't because he is still under contract!
  • Options
    Pratley has to start now with JFC out. There is literally nobody else. We can’t put the youth team in central midfield for Sunderland away.
  • Options

One of the 5 was told he could leave at the end of last season and I suspect hasn't because he is still under contract!

I’m assuming you are on about Marshall. Of which I am not doubting you, but Bowyer has said he has never said he is not in his plans, and to be honest, there is no way we could lose him now either.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it was Bowyer, but he was told he could leave which surprised me at the time because I thought he ended the season well. Anyway at this rate, not only will we be asking JJ to un-retire, perhaps even Bowyer, but maybe even Keith Peacock!!!!
  • Options

I'm not saying it was Bowyer, but he was told he could leave which surprised me at the time because I thought he ended the season well. Anyway at this rate, not only will we be asking JJ to un-retire, perhaps even Bowyer, but maybe even Keith Peacock!!!!

And if it gets worse they may even move Sam Bartram's statue and put that in goal! Can anybody tell me, how a club with no fit players, no staff, disgruntled fans swarming away in their thousands, in the third division and looking down rather than up, losing around £1m a month is worth anything at all. If anybody wants to blame anyone, there can only be one person the blame. That Belgian wanker - I think his mismanagement of the club has been nothing short of criminal.
  • Options
    Hard fought draw.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    With the news worsening by the day, I cant see past a 2-0 defeat, and our season starts as it will more than likely continue. This is going to be, potentially, a really crap season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see past a heavy defeat here. Only two signings, both not fit and hardly a midfield to speak of.

3-0 Sunderland
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, Bauer to score first and draw 1-1 is 170/1 on bet365, just thought that was quite good odds.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Is Aribo our only fit central mid now?

And Taylor Maloney!!!
  • Options
    Ive been predicting a 2 - 1 win but with JFC out i just cant see our midfield competing for 90 mins. Id take a draw right now.
  • Options
    He was looking strong in pre-season. Lapslie to the rescue.
  • Options
    Our team is at three different levels:

The back 5 (Phillips, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Page) is strong

Up front (Taylor and Grant..... with Igor to come) is adequate enough at this level

Midfield is abysmal. Marshall, Aribo, Lapslie and Maloney..... that’s a reserve team midfield. League 2 level - and that won’t compete on Saturday
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

JFC did his ACL in training today.

Absolutely heartbroken. Our best player and one of the only people capable of creating for others we have. Thought he would be one of the only bright spots this season.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    If there is any bright side to anything it's that Sunderland are also going to be without a lot of players through injury:

Falanagan, Aiden McGeady, Watmore, Dylan McGeouch, and according to another article new signing Reece James, last year of Wigan, will also miss out.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

A lot of young players are going to have to play in circumstances that are less than ideal to say the least.

if as a result of that we have poor results I am of the opinion that it will be less because those players aren't good enough, but because the squad as a whole doesn't provide enough cushioning to help ease those players in in a managed way. And we all know whose fault that is.

I have watched a lot of Lapslie, Phillips, Fairchild, Grant, Maloney, Blumberg, as well as Aribo and Djiksteel and others. I would say that those players will try their hardest and give their best in the circumstances, they won't be bertie big bollocksing about, and if it goes wrong they absolutely won't mean it. In fact whether they are good enough or not, they will be the opposite of mercenaries, and we have had a fair few of those recently.

The point I am trying to make is that I fervently hope that fans don't dig straight in to those youngsters. Fox and Lennon did not exactly benefit from a supportive fan culture at Charlton, and whilst Djiksteel and Aribo and a few others have been accepted early, it is easy in the face of failure to scapegoat far too quickly.

I suppose my thoughts are along the lines of would you rather have a Ryan Blumberg than a Roger Johnson if the kind of choices are that stark?

Forgive a bit more readily, love a bit more strongly, and these youngsters might surprise people more than they think, but maybe later than they think.

Agree wholeheartedly. It was only a week ago that Bowyer was saying he couldn't throw Lapslie, Morgan, and Maloney in at the same time, and that they weren't ready to play regularly in the league yet. Unfortunately, I expect at least two to start and all three to feature on Saturday.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-why-he-needs-to-be-careful-with-fielding-the-clubs-young-players/